Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #201
TigerFang

Default Re: Fade In Pro -- tips, feedback, requested features

The current version is 3.0.636.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #202
Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
Just to keep everyone informed ...

I am checking the Fade In board every day to see if Kent has released an update, which presumably will address the issue that we discussed above, in regard to formatted text.

He releases updates frequently. I would expect one before too long, if past behavior is a guide.

I've always learned that a new update is available when Fade In itself displays a message shortly after it's started. I presume that it checks itself every time it's started.

There's a Fade In menu option to check for updates: Help > Check for Updates

When I emailed Kent Tessman about the Formatted Text faults, I also mentioned a couple of other minor issues.

Fade In has a crazy high zoom-in ability. It's probably the highest zoom-in ever in computer software. (Except electron microscope software, probably.) In the "Zoom" dialog box via "View > Zoom > Other..." it says "Enter zoom percentage (25 to 250):" - but I've found that it's actually possible to zoom-in up to 24999%! It's great for exploring the dot on an "i".

Also, I asked Kent if he could add a "Creating PDF" message (and perhaps a progress bar) that would appear after clicking "OK" in the "Create PDF" dialog box, and then have a "PDF successfully created" message appear when it's done. But, apparently, a progress bar should already be displayed when a PDF is being created. I've never seen one. Does anyone else not get a PDF creation progress bar?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #203
TigerFang

On my MacBook Pro, Fade In doesn’t show a PDF progress bar, but the screen does a sort of “blink” once the PDF is created. The time is so short for Fade In to create a PDF, the creator of Fade In likely felt a progress bar unnecessary. A “PDF completed” dialogue box would be good, though.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #204
Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
On my MacBook Pro, Fade In doesnt show a PDF progress bar, but the screen does a sort of blink once the PDF is created. The time is so short for Fade In to create a PDF, the creator of Fade In likely felt a progress bar unnecessary. A PDF completed dialogue box would be good, though.
TigerFang - As I've said above, a progress bar should be displayed when creating a PDF. Fade In's creator, Kent Tessman, said that the progress bar not being displayed might be a "Windows problem" - but it seems not.

Unless I blink and miss it, I also see a sort of screen "blink" when a PDF has finished being created.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #205
ComicBent

The PDF progress bar ...

No, I do not think it is a Windows problem.

I tried four PDF drivers.
  1. Fade In: No progress bar. I did not see anything, not even a blink. Of course, the file is created very quickly, so for me the whole issue is a trivial one.
  2. PDF-XChange (commercial version): Yes, a progress bar appeared.
  3. Primo PDF (free version): A window popped up for about one second that said "Printing Page 1" ... and after that the driver took me to a dialog window where I selected some options like Prepress Quality and named the file. Then it created the PDF with no progress bar.
  4. Bullzip PDF (free version): A dialog window presented options to choose, but no progress bar followed.
My supposition would be that Fade In does not contain the code to create the display for the PDF progress bar. Maybe Kent will take a look at that.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #206
Crayon

Am I typing with invisible ink? I'll repeat:

I asked Kent if he could add a "Creating PDF" message (and perhaps a progress bar) that would appear after clicking "OK" in the "Create PDF" dialog box, and then have a "PDF successfully created" message appear when it's done. But, apparently, a progress bar should already be displayed when a PDF is being created.

... a progress bar should be displayed when creating a PDF. Fade In's creator, Kent Tessman, said that the progress bar not being displayed might be a "Windows problem" ...

Kent's exact words in an email were:

Quote:
Let me look into the PDF progress issue. You should be seeing a progress bar, but if you’re not, we’ll need to figure out why. It may be a Windows issue.
So, rest easy, folks - the creator himself is on the case.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #207
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
On my MacBook Pro, Fade In doesn’t show a PDF progress bar, but the screen does a sort of “blink” once the PDF is created. The time is so short for Fade In to create a PDF, the creator of Fade In likely felt a progress bar unnecessary. A “PDF completed” dialogue box would be good, though.
In Linux you basically only see messages when something goes wrong. So seeing no message or progress bar seems "natural" to me.