WATCHMEN -- the reviews are coming in -so far so good...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WATCHMEN -- the reviews are coming in -so far so good...

Originally posted by Killgore View Post
    No, they will be buying tickets for a PG13 movie and sneaking into Watchmen. I remember me and my friends buying tickets to Waynes World and sneaking into Basic Instinct.
    Ah...theater hopping...wish I done that when I was young, but I didn't have any friends.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

As an aside...

Kilgore,

Which version of Basic Instinct was that?
      On ebert and ropert, Roger mentioned
      that he saw a double R rated version of that movie.

You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
      Paul Harvey
      -
      -
      -

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
        Er, wasn't 300, too?
        Okay, here's what I'm getting at, 300, despite all it's ridiculous special effects and "liberties" that it took, it still at it's core, a historical epic. It's appeal attracted those of all ages.

While Watchmen is a comic book movie. And like it or not the stigma is that costumed super heroes are for children and not to be taken seriously. The Academy made sure to drill that point in. Therefore, because Watchmen is a super hero movie, older people may not be as interested. And because it's an R rated super hero movie there goes the children.

That's why Watchmen won't open as big as 300 did.

Comment

Uh-oh.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...03945726.story

Comment

Read it. Love this line:

"Armageddon never looked so cheesy."

Well, at least it's plural, Watchmen. As opposed to the singular: Superman, Batman, Spider Man, Ironman.

I'm sure I'm missing a -man or two. So what happens if this does indeed flop?
            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorntreect View Post
              Okay, here's what I'm getting at, 300, despite all it's ridiculous special effects and "liberties" that it took, it still at it's core, a historical epic. It's appeal attracted those of all ages.
              Unless you have demo breakdowns that actually prove that, I can't say I concur. Despite its R-rating, 300 -- from its flashy visual style to its abundance of blood and carnage -- was strictly aimed at the male teen audience.

While Watchmen is a comic book movie. And like it or not the stigma is that costumed super heroes are for children and not to be taken seriously.
              You're right. 'Cause the kiddies were the only ones that shelled out money for THE DARK KNIGHT, which enabled it to gross a billion dollars worldwide.

The Academy made sure to drill that point in.
              It didn't deserve a Best Picture nom, but that's an argument for another time....

Therefore, because Watchmen is a super hero movie, older people may not be as interested.
              What's your definition of "older"? The teenage / 20-something crowd that fell in love with the graphic novel in '86 are now in their 30s and beyond.

And because it's an R rated super hero movie there goes the children.

That's why Watchmen won't open as big as 300 did.
              As I said, that's your take. It'll be interesting to see how it performs. In there are more reviews like The Hollywood Reporter's, that may affect its prospects. But I'm still predicting a massive opening (fans + those curious about the hubbub) with steep drop off in ensuing weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                So what happens if this does indeed flop?
                You can rest assured Larry Gordon will probably never be allowed to make another film at Warner Bros....

Comment

So what happens if this does indeed flop?
                  Nothing. Warner execs will just call Chris Nolan and tell him to hurry the fvck up with The Dark Knight Returns.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Unless you have demo breakdowns that actually prove that, I can't say I concur. Despite its R-rating, 300 -- from its flashy visual style to its abundance of blood and carnage -- was strictly aimed at the male teen audience.
                    I agree that 300 was aimed at male teens. However, I believe that it had a broader appeal. I'll leave it at that.

You're right. 'Cause the kiddies were the only ones that shelled out money for THE DARK KNIGHT, which enabled it to gross a billion dollars worldwide.
                    True, it wasn't just the kids. It was the great word of mouth and nearly perfect reviews that helped The Dark Knight be successful.

It didn't deserve a Best Picture nom, but that's an argument for another time....
                    With all due respect, yes it did.

What's your definition of "older"? The teenage / 20-something crowd that fell in love with the graphic novel in '86 are now in their 30s and beyond.
                    35 and older is "older". I'm sure those that read the book back in the day are "older" but that won't be the majority of the audience.

As I said, that's your take. It'll be interesting to see how it performs. In there are more reviews like The Hollywood Reporter's, that may affect its prospects. But I'm still predicting a massive opening (fans + those curious about the hubbub) with steep drop off in ensuing weeks.
                    Agree to disagree. I'll definitely be interested to see box office take. Maybe it'll be a surprise and I'll be wrong but this is my opinionated guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorntreect View Post
                      The Academy made sure to drill that point in.
                      How, but giving Heath Ledger one of the major awards?

Surely you're not suggesting that TDK deserved a Best Pic nom? Iron Man? Daredevil? Ghost Rider?

Comment

Read it. Love this line:

"Armageddon never looked so cheesy."

Well, at least it's plural, Watchmen. As opposed to the singular: Superman, Batman, Spider Man, Ironman.

I'm sure I'm missing a -man or two. So what happens if this does indeed flop?
                        Doubtful. I mean, what else is there worth your time? The Jonas Bros. turd crap? Another Tyler Perry scam?

And the reviewer's an asswipe. Quote: "The real disappointment is that the film does not transport an audience to another world, as "300" did. Nor does the third-rate Chandler-esque narration by Rorschach help."

It's an alternative 1985, and it's more Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver than Chandler. I don't mind film criticism, but it has to be intelligent at least, and this creep has the intelligence of a three-year-old.
                        Last edited by Madbandit; 02-27-2009, 08:31 AM.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post

It's an alternative 1985, and it's more Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver than Chandler. I don't mind film criticism, but it has to be intelligent at least, and this creep has the intelligence of a three-year-old.

Excellent point/comment Madbandit. Yes, put them in their place.
                          You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
                          Paul Harvey
                          -
                          -
                          -

Comment

83% positive at Rotten Tomatoes, so far.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/watchmen/

Comment

83% positive at Rotten Tomatoes, so far.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/watchmen/
                              That's great news. Hope it stays that way.

Comment

Doubtful. I mean, what else is there worth your time? The Jonas Bros. turd crap? Another Tyler Perry scam?
                                A little detour here...

You couldn't pay me to watch another Tyler Perry movie; not my bag and I don't think he's all that good of a writer or director. But...

But I'll cop that I admire the man tremendously. I don't see a scam anywhere in this... he lived the hardscrabble life while realizing what we all dream of doing in a true DIY way: writing plays and putting them up himself, building a solidly loyal audience and then using that to make a transition to film.

Bottom line: He makes films and he gets to make them his way. Sneer at the man, but he's livin' the dream.

And in these days where the hardscrabble life is becoming more and more accessable, the Tyler Perry arc to becoming a cinematic player is one that is seriously more valid than shopping scripts to be added to a rinse-lather-repeat tower of unread wasted paper.
                                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X