Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hangover 2 trailer

Yeah, I'm gonna check it out, too. The rest of you can go watch The Seventh Seal for the twentieth time.

HH

Comment

The first one is one of my favorite comedies ever.

And I am really looking forward to part 2 because it will be great seeing these characters again.

But this trailer isn't doing the film any favors, IMO. It really only shows gags recycled from the first fim. Substitute a monkey for the baby, a tattoo for a tooth, Chow slipping the roofie instead of Alan (at least that's what it looks like), etc.

I'm sure the film is bringing something new to the table, but you can't tell from this trailer. And maybe that's intentional. Remind people what they loved about the first movie and hold some surprises back for the actual film. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by Klenic View Post
        Wait a second... did i see Craig Mazin's name at the end of that trailer?

OUR Craig Mazin?
        Yes. OUR Craig Mazin.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0563301/
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

@ madbandit - lol, check.

@ craig - i can only imagine how much fun you had writing this story. have you done any interviews that maybe you could post a link to here? i think many of us would love to know about your experiences with the film if you have time to share.
          life happens
          despite a few cracked pots-
          and random sunlight

Comment

I thought the setup of The Hangover was great, but the rest felt like a fill in the blank game. As in, all the events our protags went through after waking up could have been substituted for pretty much any wacky event, and nothing would have really changed. I get annoyed at stories when ACT 2 is just a "fill in randomness here." Happens a lot with comedies.

Whereas, if you take a tightly constructed movie like Back to the Future, you can't go through it easily substituting Act 2 with different scenes.

I still had a good amount of laughs, though, and I'll see this one as well.

Partly because Craig visits the board. It makes the whole experience seem cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
              Yeah, I'm gonna check it out, too. The rest of you can go watch The Seventh Seal for the twentieth time.

HH
              Lol.. no kidding. The first one was hilarious. if you didn't think so, you don't have a pulse. There's no reason to think the 2nd won't provide some good laughing entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by KWhit View Post
                The first one is one of my favorite comedies ever.

And I am really looking forward to part 2 because it will be great seeing these characters again.

But this trailer isn't doing the film any favors, IMO. It really only shows gags recycled from the first fim. Substitute a monkey for the baby, a tattoo for a tooth, Chow slipping the roofie instead of Alan (at least that's what it looks like), etc.

I'm sure the film is bringing something new to the table, but you can't tell from this trailer. And maybe that's intentional. Remind people what they loved about the first movie and hold some surprises back for the actual film. At least that's what I'm hoping.
                I agree, and yes, I believe you will be satisfied.

C.

Comment

I can just imagine how crazy this moving is going to get. I will be seeing it in Seoul and curious how the crowd will react. Must be exciting to have such a huge film coming out. Congrats Craig!

Comment

Yeah, can't wait for this shit.

Craig, did you score any/many set visits? Watching these guys play must be insane!

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Given the writing talent for this one, I doubt it's improvised.
                        Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                          These kind of sequels must be very tricky to write. The built-in audience wants the same film, but a different experience.
                          If the "built-in audience" wants this film at all, they will go see it regardless of the content. That's the whole reason sequels like this exist - people will pay to see them even if they are entirely atrocious.

Who cares if the film sucks? The money left the built-in audience's wallets an hour and a half ago. Hollywood wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                            I agree, and yes, I believe you will be satisfied.

C.
                            Great to hear.

Best of luck with it, man.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                              Yeah, can't wait for this shit.

Craig, did you score any/many set visits? Watching these guys play must be insane!
                              I was on set for most of production. It was a joy.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
                                I read that most of the first film was improvised. In the script it read "the guys are waiting for their car" and that was it etc. Wonder if they utilized similar strategy on this one.
                                I wasn't involved with the first one, but I know enough to know that that is not at all true.

It certainly wasn't true for this one. There are many improvised *lines* in the movie (the P.F. Chang line in the trailer immediately comes to mind), but we basically shot the script.

One big difference is that the script was written with the already-established voices of the characters. The actors deserve a ton of credit for making those characters real. Also, on the day, during rehearsals the team (Todd, the guys, me or Scot Armstrong) would almost always come up with things that made the scene better, and then Todd and I would hunker down over the laptop and rewrite on the spot.

The "we" that would come up with things includes Ed and Bradley and Zach and Ken, all of whom are very writerly and writing-savvy actors. It was a great collaboration.

C.

Comment

Working...
                                X