No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hunger Games

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
    I thought the books were okay, not fantastic, but I did really like Katniss as the protagonist, really against type on those crappy Twilight movies. Love the Girl Power.
    i hope they stick with her character in the movie. she's not really in love with the guy. she's pretending and playing the gamers all the way until the end... and the boy's love for her is just an unfortunate fall-out.

Comment

In the draft I've read it's the way you describe re: her feelings.

I didn't like the screenplay much, but the trailer looks pretty good, I gotta admit.

Comment

two thumbs up!!!

i was going to wait until the rush was over, but instead i went to an early matinee hoping to get a jump on the teens... and i went to a silver-haired theater.

anyway -- EXCELLENT FLICKER!!

technically, not enough gore to scare the squeamish away, but they didn't cheat on the killing too much... very much like the book in those regards with the POV always with Katniss. if she didn't see the killing, we didn't see it.

loved Stanley Tucci's character as the tv game show host.

Comment

Roger Ebert's review, surprisingly with no direct mention of Battle Royale (3 stars):

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/120319986

"The Hunger Games- is an effective entertainment, and Jennifer Lawrence is strong and convincing in the central role. But the film leapfrogs obvious questions in its path, and avoids the opportunities sci-fi provides for social criticism; compare its world with the dystopias in "Gattaca- or "The Truman Show.- Director Gary Ross and his writers (including the series' author, Suzanne Collins) obviously think their audience wants to see lots of hunting-and-survival scenes, and has no interest in people talking about how a cruel class system is using them. Well, maybe they're right. But I found the movie too long and deliberate as it negotiated the outskirts of its moral issues.

Comment

I found it suprisingly dull, and I didn't really buy into the premise of the society allowing it to happen.

I guess the revolution comes in the later books.

Comment

mediocre through and through. more like an audiobook with moving pictures than an actual dramatic work.

Comment

I enjoyed it. It had quiet moments - no score, just the foley - even when the scene wasn't overtly dramatic.

**SPOILER***

The tripping balls scene... that was fresh.

As far as the story goes, it was realistic enough and I bought into it. I'm easy to please.

Comment

***Spoilers***

I haven't read the books. So it might feature some of the same issues I had.

The movie was ok. I had no problem buying into the premise, but the "wait for everyone to die" aspect of it reminded me of a horror movie where you're waiting out everyone to die in elaborate traps.

It was an interesting mix with our protag. They rated her highly instead of painting her as the ultimate under dog, yet in the arena she really doesn't do much. And she's bailed out CONSTANTLY. I mean, I know it's not fair to expect her to be the Terminator, but from the getting those help parachutes, to having Rue point out the wasp hive, to Rue's district partner saving her, to Katniss only killing what--1.5 people?

I think some people like this approach. I wouldn't have wanted to see the complete opposite. But I felt like we missed the CLEVER moments in the arena, except for her blowing up that pile of supplies. Now maybe if they hadn't blatantly told us a minute earlier it was littered with landmines, we would have actually been surprised by it.

I wasn't exactly bored, but I wasn't thrilled, either.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                    I wasn't exactly bored, but I wasn't thrilled, either.
                    That seems to be the general consensus.

Comment

Meh. Completely underwhelmed. I enjoyed the books (not great writing but a great story and solid heroine) but I think Gary Ross wasn't the right guy. Bad casting (except for Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson and Lenny Kravitz), bad set design, bad storytelling. But mostly just bad execution.

I was never emotionally engaged. It really felt over-worked, over-edited, over-developed and completely soulless.

Although my husband, who has not read the books, liked it more.
                      ScriptGal
                      Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                      Fifteen Years Development Experience
                      http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

I thought it was pretty good. Obviously way better then that Twilight garbage. Jennifer Lawrence is def a star. Her quiet moments were powerful.

My major qualms with the movie was the lack of score. I know they wanted you to feel like you were in the moment of terror with the kids, but some score could've helped immensely. Look at Lord of The Rings and Inception, those movies are greatly enhanced by the score.

The lack of score made it feel more dull then it was during some moments. Part of me thinks this movie should've been R, and been done by a grittier director. I know it would've alienated the tweens which are big for the box office, but it might've made it a stronger movie.

David Slade would've been a better director for this. Also would've loved to see what Matthew Vaughn could've done with this movie. He brought a real emotional depth to X-MEN FIRST CLASS, you rarely see in tentpole movies.

Another thing that bothered me was it looked cheap, Lions Gate needs to up the budget on the next movie.

I give it 7/10.
                        Last edited by Deion22; 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Might want to do a li'l spoiler action there.
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                            Might want to do a li'l spoiler action there.
                            Yup...

Comment

I gotta say, Lenny Kravitz was pretty awesome in the flick. He really had an aura of warmth and compassion.
                              Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I was hooked on the book, and from the trailers was so stoked to see the movie.

Having spent so much time trying to adapt my own novel to a script has given me a better appreciation for the difficulties that come about, and I watched the movie as a fan first, then as a writer.

Thought the casting was spot on overall..... all the mains were very well done.

The directing was mediocre..... editing was horrible.

Choices that were made in a few places were just head-scratchers....

*** Spoiler ***

Kept wondering where the sleeping bag was (instrumental in book) and found it in movie for a split second.

Fire scene was the first real adrenaline scene.... and they cut to the 'control room'???? Then back to fire..... bad bad bad

The riot scene after Rue's death was useless and unfortunately racist.

*** End Spoilers ***

Many other issues, but I'll have to see the movie again to remember what they were.

Still- it was engrossing and a good way to spend 2+ hours on a rainy day!
                                Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X