No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The best psychological thrillers?

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
    Oh I didn't even notice Exam...yeah that felt like a long short film you see on youtube. Too smart for its own good.
    I liked it because it didn't have to resort to characters being complete f_cking morons in order to work, as so many central-location thrillers do (Disappearance of Alice Creed, I'm looking at you).

PS: Oops, forgot Hitchcock's Notorious. Masterpiece of a film.

Comment

A Few Interesting Psychological Thrillers...

To add to the list, that would be worth some watching:

MARNIE tops several that are on Biohazard's list, (in my opinion). (old trailer)

OBSESSION was Brian DePalma's best effort at mimicking a Hitchcock film.
      (available for a free viewing at Crackle.com)

And, BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING is another film that should get more attention.
      (also available for a free viewing at Crackle.com)
      JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Never got into Marnie. The story was weak and the cast was weaker.

Comment

Not a big fan of MARNIE, nor OBSESSION.

BUNNY LAKE...however, is great.

HH

Comment

Eden Lake.
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
              Could you give some examples? Not that I'm challenging your statement; I'm just curious. Thanks!
              A lot of innocuous and fairly brainless romcoms. Films with rebellious teens pouting for 90 minutes. So-called auteur flicks with women discovering their sexuality and sleeping with everyone in sight to "get back" at men... I used to curate a French film fest and saw a lot of that come through. Also, lots of half-films, that in my opinion seemed to end out of laziness rather than going the extra mile and reaching a full third act.

In his cover page article of Time Magazine (European version),THE DEATH OF FRENCH CULTURE, which sent shock waves throughout France a few years ago, Don Morrison wrote, in a passage about French cinema, [B]" But most French films are amiable, low-budget trifles for the domestic market." and I tend to agree.

But of course that's a generalization and there many actors and filmmakers I personally absolutely love. I'll see anything by Desplechin, anything with Vincent Cassel, Mathieu Almaric, Emmanuelle Devos, Vincent Lindon, to name just a few, Deneuve and Huppert and other older actresses like Nathalie Baye are still fascinating to watch, there's a bunch of younger actors doing amazing work, I love the comedies by Resnais, and the ones by the Jaoui-Bacri team, etc, etc. And I did see a few really impressive films by newcomers when I was doing the festival. One gritty, violent flick about black gangs / gang rapes in the French banlieus really stood out, I think that one could have probably found an audience in the U.S. Also, there seem to be a lot more women directors in France. And the multi-ethnic milieus and issues are adding a new dimension to French cinema as well.

Back on topic: THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (the original of course) is pretty bone-chilling, it definitely belongs on the list.

Comment

The Secret In Their Eyes was fantastic.

Comment

Yea I saw that i thought it was really good too.
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

THE INNOCENTS (1961)

Psychological thriller or supernatural thriller?

You tell me.
                    "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Working...
                    X