• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Here is my review.

Comment

I didn't hate it at all, but they really threw the rulebook out the window on this one. Having Batman rolling around in a well for 84 days with Tom Conti and coming back to save the city with 11 minutes to spare is one of the craziest things ever. And Bane sounded like a cartoon walrus.

Just... odd.

Comment

Tom Hardy is an amazing eye actor. I'm not even kidding.

Comment

Sometimes I hate this site, I really do...

I thought it was amazing, best of the 3 (happy to catch criticism for that). I was hoping for a film more like Begins and it delivered, the whole story came full circle. If Begins was Nolan's Year One then Rises was definitely his Dark Knight Returns, obviously with Knightfall spliced in.

As far as Bane goes I think he was the perfect choice for this, a villain more powerful than Batman and just as intelligent. I loved the voice and had no trouble understanding it. Compared to the other 2 films he did something neither Ra's Al Ghul or Joker did.

Did it have some monents where logic wasn't present? Sure. But really who gives a s**t when the rest of the film is so great. To compare this to The Godfather III is insulting.

P.S. To the critics of the board, go write a better Batman film, I dare you.

Comment

It's okay for someone to not like something.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLilley View Post
              That's fine. But this is just the same damn nitpicking I've come to expect from here. A bunch of people who go out of their way to focus on the bad instead of celebrating the good.

Comment

Your opinion is your opinion. It doesn't need validated. What does it matter if others (myself included) didn't really like it that much? Does that mean you have to like it less?

You enjoyed it a lot. Keep doing that. I wish I could be standing right there with you.

Comment

Good. I don't like cous cous.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

You fell right into my trap. That is unacceptable, and you have to leave now

Comment

Spoiler:

It sucked.

However, scores of people were clapping at the end and my friend that I saw it with says it's the best one out of the bunch.

But to me, pure silliness.
                      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

You fell right into my trap. That is unacceptable, and you have to leave now
                        D'oh!
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
                          However, scores of people were clapping at the end and my friend that I saw it with says it's the best one out of the bunch.
                          Both audiences that I saw it with had a pretty lukewarm reaction, BUT to be completely fair, one was a 3:45AM showing so I'm sure most people were as sleepy as I was, and one had a summer camp filled with 200 eleven year old girls.

So, I'm more than willing to admit that those two audiences may not be the best way to gauge overall reaction.

Comment

THE DARK KNIGHT is the exact same way. And they both have weird, forty minute first acts that are basically a prologue to the rest of the movie, which does weird things to the pacing.
                            I disagree about the Dark Knight. I can see why you would come to that conclusion. But I think the "page 17" of that film is Gordon, Dent and Batman on the roof deciding to come together to take down organized crime in the city. I think that comes in around the 20 minute mark, and then things propel pretty well from there.

I rewatched Dark Knight last week for the first time since the theatre, and I was blown away by how much I still loved it. I was worried that maybe it was part hype, part having a great theatre experience and a great crowd.

But I really think the first 90 minutes of that film are as good as you will get out of mainstream cinema, and certainly as good as you will get out of a comic book movie. Some cracks in the armor show up after that, but all in all, it's still one of my favorite films of all time.

And I say that in part to show you where I'm coming from when I give my TDKR review. Maybe it was a mistake watching Dark Knight in such proximity to Dark Knight Rises.

Either way, I have to say I found TDKR hugely underwhelming. I liked parts of it - and I loved parts of the conclusion.

And I wanted to love it. Part of me wants to try really hard and like it like everyone else does. But part of me just wants to say it sort of sucked and that it was a mess. The scope was unnecessarily big, and while TDK beautifully took material that could so easily become silly and made it heavy, believable and engrossing - TDKR landed firmly on the silly side.

I never bought in. I tried, but I never bought in. Too many characters, too much exposition, too many Chekov's guns, too many explanatory scenes, too much was telegraphed.

It was spread so thin, so much was jam-packed in that it felt laborious and tedious and the whole time, you knew where it was headed.

I will say that once I got over how much I was hating it, and how different it felt from TDK, I started to enjoy it. Whatever that's worth. Maybe I need to see it again.

I'll see it again, I'll buy it on BluRay I'm sure. But I just do not get the love for this film or proclamations that it's anywhere near TDK. TDK was a unique film. TDK embedded itself into pop culture and (thanks maybe in part to other factors surrounding it, ie Ledger) became an instant classic. But beyond that, it transcended genre and made it possible to take a comic book film seriously as a drama, as a thriller and as a noir.

TDKR undoes some of that, in my eyes, unfortunately.

Comment

I really liked it - more than The Dark Knight - but for reasons I'm not quite sure of. It's definitely not a perfect film and there are a lot of small and big plot stuff that didn't quite work for me, but as a whole I thought it was very good. Then again, I was expecting to not like it at all, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I loved the jail-pit sequence, loved Anne Hathaway, really liked Tom Hardy as Bane, loved the dialogue - which, for me was a big one.

All in all, great stuff.

Comment

I've come to a conclusion that when you are really successful, no matter how good at your craft you are, people will find a way to tear you down. I stand by my statement. This movie was brilliant. It had some logic holes, but so do lots of movies. Avengers I'm look at you. And I still like the Avengers. I have no problem with the people who are hating on this movie, it is their right.

But it seems a lot of people went into DARK KNIGHT RISES with the mindset Nolan will screw this up. And were praying for his downfall. I now understand what Craig and some others go through. Jealousy is an ugly color, some people need to stop wearing it.

When the movie industry is putting out some of the worst product in the history of cinema it's baffling how much people hate Nolan. I think the guy puts out thought provoking adult material, which is lacking in most movies these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X