No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identity Thief

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
    But let me guess, you loved Chris Farley?
    TOMMY BOY. That's the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by ScriptGal View Post
      And I'm pretty horrified at the naked/blatant criticism of MM's physique.
      Agreed. Her size isn't what offends me; but the fact she's incredibly unfunny does. If people wanna comment about her weight -- which is really no one's business but hers anyway -- it should be for concern about her health.

Oh, and by the way -- $30 million projected weekend. Craig will be lighting up Cubans with $100s and not giving two sh!ts about anyone trashing the movie....

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
        Agreed. Her size isn't what offends me; but the fact she's incredibly unfunny does. If people wanna comment about her weight -- which is really no one's business but hers anyway -- it should be for concern about her health.

Oh, and by the way -- $30 million projected weekend. Craig will be lighting up Cubans with $100s and not giving two sh!ts about anyone trashing the movie....
        I think she's funny, the scene in Bridesmaids when she gives the pep talk to a couch bound Wiig is freaking hysterical.

The movie will make good money, a lot of people will like it, a lot won't, that's the nature of entertainment. Congrats to Craig for getting it done and, yeah, just cause I can't resist a good DD beat down, Scripto, you passed judgment without seeing the movie and that is cheap.

Comment

The unflinching soul-bearing and literal physical risks Melissa McCarthy took when guest-hosting SNL in the name of garnering a a simple laugh were beyond laudable!!! It brought back memories of a Margaret Dumont as longsuffering foil to Groucho Marx!

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
            I think she's funny, the scene in Bridesmaids when she gives the pep talk to a couch bound Wiig is freaking hysterical.
            I know I'm firmly in the minority when it comes to MM, Geoff...which is why I choose to be a very VOCAL minority.

Comment

I loved listening to Craig talk about this movie on the podcast. His voice brightens. Like he said, this is the first big produced movie he's written that was truly his own concept. So no matter how it does at the Box Office, Craig has already had a victory. We all aspire to get to that point in our pending careers.

Craig, good luck with the weekend, man. I hope Identity Thief kicks butt.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                I loved listening to Craig talk about this movie on the podcast. His voice brightens. Like he said, this is the first big produced movie he's written that was truly his own concept.
                Close, if I'm not mistaken. He was hired on assignment to do a complete overhaul of the previous script, which originally was about two dudes.

He did say the movie was the closest a final product came to his initial vision, and the characters were his (unlike the Hangover sequels).

Shame about the storms this weekend. Reminds me of the "rolling blackouts" episode of Entourage when Aquaman was opening. But that had a good end result, so by Hollywood logic, everything will be just fine

Comment

Didn't do too well on rotten tomatoes. It's not the final indicator, but combined with the storm, this could be a bad weekend.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    Didn't do too well on rotten tomatoes. It's not the final indicator, but combined with the storm, this could be a bad weekend.
                    even with the storm, it's still doing pretty great at the box office

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/east...ins-shut-down/

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
                      Anyway, as for Identity Thief, I hear it's awful and the trailer showed the best parts. Seems that while it had perfect leads, the script greatly let it down. Typical.
                      You're letting us all down with this comment.
                      Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by ScriptGal View Post
                        And I'm pretty horrified at the naked/blatant criticism of MM's physique. Honestly, I think there are plenty of men pissed that they don't have a model-pretty leading lady to ogle. I still cringe at Kristen Wiig's hemlines in BRIDESMAIDS.
                        I get where you're coming from - but Bridesmaids seems like a kind of odd choice of a film to expect some measure of balanced commentary from. And it wasn't as if Wiig was a passive factor in the production....

Comment

According to IMDb Pro, even with the storm, the film is poised to beat the competition with a $30M-plus opening.

It may not have been a hit with critics, but (currently) 74% of the audience liked it. And with comedy that's a much more satisfying barometer.

Comment

Originally posted by robertcc View Post
                            According to IMDb Pro, even with the storm, the film is poised to beat the competition with a $30M-plus opening.

It may not have been a hit with critics, but (currently) 74% of the audience liked it. And with comedy that's a much more satisfying barometer.
                            I think comedies and action films have this in common: there's a sharp divide between critics' tastes and the tastes of the audiences who actually see them.

A different thread on this forum discussed the film Taken. Here's that film's RT split:

Top critics: 41%
                            Audience: 83%

And here's Identity Thief:

Top critics: 26%
                            Audience: 74%

Quite a yawning divide, which questions critics' relevance in these genres.

Incidentally, I stumbled upon an interesting recent interview with Mr. Mazin, in which he discusses Identity Thief:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60808

(Warning: spoilers abound.)

Comment

Well, sometimes I feel sooooo out of it. I missed this thread and didn't know it was Craig's until his name scrolled up. And on top of that, I only went to see it because the spousal unit & I have been renting The Gilmore Girls and I saw the ad on TV and thought "There's Sooki!" I had no idea that Ms. McCarthy was such a big deal...Nor did I know that Mr. Bateman had made a comeback.

So I went into thinking it probably had an Indie Vibe to it, and not knowing it was a major production.

Silly me.

To the Craig haters....You're ignorant buffoons and should swallow farts.

To the McCarthy haters....I get that comedy is subjective, but I've got to give her props for putting herself waayyyyy out there. That's comedic bravery at the finest.

As to the movie...The crowd loved it!!!, so I suspect word of mouth will work. It's not quite my style(The last film I saw in a theater was Winter's Bone)...But it was an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.

I'll weep no tears for anyone who was involved in it.

Enjoy those Cubans Craig.

Midnite

Comment

Originally posted by Midnite View Post
                                I had no idea that Ms. McCarthy was such a big deal
                                She's not (no pun intended).

But Bridesmaids was a commercial and critical success and McCarthy stole every scene that she was in, causing people to claim that she's "overrated". As if such a thing could be possible after having a supporting role in one film.

Originally posted by Midnite View Post
                                I get that comedy is subjective
                                People love to say that comedy is subjective, but I'm not so sure I believe that anymore.

Most (good) comedy is rooted in exposing human truths. There are those who are honest about their faults and are capable of laughing at themselves, and then there are those who go through life in angry, defensive denial.

Comedy isn't that subjective. Some people are just a55holess.

Comment

Working...
                                X