Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Generic. None of the actors seem into it either. I was pleasantly surprised by the first one, but this looks dull.

Comment

Didn't like the Abrams reboot, with the Enterprise's new iBridge and the hyperactive acting. But then, most of the Star Trek movies have been disappointing, just in a different way.

Thus far, Wrath of Khan remains the only truly great film that the franchise has ever produced, IMO, and the only one that lives up to the finest moments of the original series.

Fan of Alice Eve, but she looks better with longer hair.

Clever speculation in the link Why One posted, associating the upcoming installment with "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I wouldn't bet on that being the case, but the actors do resemble the leads in that episode -- which was a pretty good one, with a rather bleak eeriness.
      Last edited by karsten; 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
        Thus far, Wrath of Khan remains the only truly great movie that the franchise has ever produced, IMO, and the only one that lives up to the finest moments of the original series.
        No love for The Undiscovered Country?
        But yeah, Wrath of Khan has yet to be topped.
        what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
          No love for The Undiscovered Country?
          Fair enough. It had its moments -- most of them generated by Christopher Plummer. ("In space, all warrior are cold warriors.") But it really shoved the politics in the face of the audience. I know -- "topical" for the time, a ripped-from-the-headlines Star Trek film. But thus not as timeless as the Khan story.

Khan benefited greatly from springing off of one of the finest original-series episodes, one that begged for a follow-up; indeed, one that almost seemed to have been written with a far-distant sequel in mind. The ultimate setup-payoff. That kind of serendipity won't happen again.

This "vengeance" story in the upcoming Star Trek is like a payoff without a setup. It has no history behind it, so it's empty.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            Whatever, dude. With that first movie, I was crying - literally crying - like ten minutes in. So you hate all you want, I'm gonna be there opening night with bells on. Futuristic bells.
            I'll be joining you. I've been a life-long trekkie. In fact, my recent script is a sadistic spin on Star Trek.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Generations was my favorite Star Trek movie, but I'm a Jean Luc Picard fan. Perhaps Mr. Cumberbatch can pull this one out of retread bin.

Comment

Originally posted by itsallgood View Post
                Generic. None of the actors seem into it either.
                ...it's a teaser that didn't even show a character talking.

Teaser, people. Teaser.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                  Whatever, dude. With that first movie, I was crying - literally crying - like ten minutes in. So you hate all you want, I'm gonna be there opening night with bells on. Futuristic bells.
                  Right there with you, sister.

I remember when internet fandom started crying about how J.J. had ruined the franchise after Kirk and Spock first appeared on the cover of EW. Saying it looked like 90210 is space, and how much it was gonna suck.

Pfft.

This looks awesome. LENS FLARE ME, J.J.!!!

@TerranceMulloy

Comment

From the authors who brought you Transformers, Transformers 2, and Prometheus. Yay!

Comment

I don't think Benedict is Kahn... I think it's stupid that folks think because it's the second Star Trek film that it has to be Kahn...

But judging from that last image from the Japanese trailer...

Wouldn't it be interesting if, since we're in another timeline and another scenario, that Kirk pulls a Spock and sacrifices himself to save everyone?
                      Kirk commits self sacrifice... wouldn't that shock the average trek fan? We will see... but you heard it here.
                      INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
                      Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                        I don't think Benedict is Kahn... I think it's stupid that folks think because it's the second Star Trek film that it has to be Kahn...

But judging from that last image from the Japanese trailer...

Wouldn't it be interesting if, since we're in another timeline and another scenario, that Kirk pulls a Spock and sacrifices himself to save everyone?
                        Kirk commits self sacrifice... wouldn't that shock the average trek fan? We will see... but you heard it here.
                        Didn't Kirk already do that in ...

SPOILER ALERT

Generations?
                        Last edited by MacGuffin; 12-07-2012, 01:15 AM. Reason: secrecy

Comment

I'm with Emily & the Fox. That looks epic!
                          Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

I think it looks pretty good from the teaser. But, as it is a teaser, it's hard to really know either way. There's a 9 minute prologue before The Hobbit in Imax next week, and an additional trailer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                              Looks way too similar to other invasion/attack movies. This is not what Star Trek should be about. Really weird choice.

It's almost like bandwagon filmmaking. "This sh|t is hot right now so we're gonna make another one under a different name."
                              I pretty much agree with this. The trailer, at least, makes it look like The Avengers with a different Loki, though maybe a bit less juvenile.

The official IMDb synopsis, attributed to Paramount Pictures, describes it this way:

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew
                              Odd choice of wording. I can understand how someone might have detonated a fleet, but to have "detonated...everything [the fleet] stands for"? Can you detonate a value? I can see destroying a value, suppressing a value, etc., but detonating a value? That's a new one on me. Talk about "bigger 'splosions." Now they have 'splosions so big they can make values blow up.

The villain sounds like a cross between Palpatine ("from within their own organization") and a Bin Laden/Saddam/Gaddafi/Assad/Kim Jong-il/Ahmadinejad du jour. Color me skeptical.
                              Last edited by karsten; 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                                Right there with you, sister.

I remember when internet fandom started crying about how J.J. had ruined the franchise after Kirk and Spock first appeared on the cover of EW. Saying it looked like 90210 is space, and how much it was gonna suck.

Pfft.

This looks awesome. LENS FLARE ME, J.J.!!!

Ditto. The 2009 reboot was needed because the franchise became an old, crotchery baby boomer on its' last legs.
                                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                                X