• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not in it for the money?

Bense18, I admire anyone who does anything to the
    best of their abilities not for remuneration but to help
    others, achieve personal growth or just out of a desire
    to do something different. To this end, I wish you well.
    I only ask that if you have connections so seemingly
    few of us have, and are able to write, don't do it for free.
    Bestow your magnaminity on charity. Way I see it,
    word of working for free gets around...
    " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Write-Away View Post
      Definitely don't bring it up in a meeting. Agents and managers want to make money off writers plain and simple. Your quirky philosophy won't impress any prospective rep. What's 10% of "I don't care if I get paid or not"? I agree with someone else who said don't discuss money at all. You'll talk about your writing in these meetings and where you see your career going. Not about potential script sale dollar amounts. And btw, you could always give all your money away to worthy charities if you really don't want it. Better that than writing for free!
      Amen, and if you have any class, and you do give away your earning, keep quiet about it.

Comment

calling out the troll

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
          Just because my join date isn't 2005, doesn't mean I am ****ing trolling. Jesus. What is this, 4Chan?

Comment

Originally posted by Bense18 View Post
            I felt your reply was very well written and to the point. But you could have left out the "This is absurb." It ruined the whole professionalism of your post.

Sorry I'm not motivated by $, $$, $$$, $$$$ or $$$$$. In my opinion, all of my writing is ****. If all I give is only 50%, where do I get that other 60 from? I'm not knocking down any ladders you guys need against that wall to climb over it. I just don't care if I get paid or not to write a script, whether a spec or assignment. I think it's more of a career choice for me. Something that I was asking if it should be brought up in a meeting, not for writers to judge me.
            To be perfectly frank, it sounds like you'd be wasting an agent/manager's time. If you can't act like a professional (and I'm not talking about the money here, but rather the lack of commitment/self-belief/desire to succeed) then you don't need one. It's clearly a hobby, not a career, for you, and that's totally fine. Enjoy it, but don't kid yourself.
            twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Right on, XL. End of story in my opinion. Wise up, Bense and get serious. Or find another hobby.

Comment

why tell them you motivation at all? if you tell them it's therapeutic then they'll probably think you're nuts and some shrink gave you an assignment. there is such a thing as selective information.

but honestly, no worries. if you're not motivated to write for the money then you're probably not motivated enough to get yourself a real meeting.

the writers here aren't judging you. they're telling you how it will come off in a meeting... b/c that's what you asked. and yeah, it will come across badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bense18 View Post
                  I notice that a producer wants an action script, so I send them an action script. They like it and refer me to a colleague who's a manager. I am definitely not a studio plant. I'm just a guy who doesn't really care about making money doing this writing thing. money ain't a thang
                  I find this extremely difficult to believe, as most producers, agents, and managers won't touch unsolicited material with a 20-foot pole.

Comment

I'm going to coast through the summer and see what comes out of the meetings with the people who "like my writing". If the hobby gets too tedious or boring, I'll go back to collecting baseball cards.

Originally posted by BurOak View Post
                    I find this extremely difficult to believe, as most producers, agents, and managers won't touch unsolicited material with a 20-foot pole.
                    That's what referrals are for. That's what doing that "free rewrite" for a producer is for. That's what being a "nice guy" will get you. I think out of the 99% of the industry people I've met, we've hit it off instantly. And by instantly, I mean going to their parties that night, events scheduled, hanging out at their office and playing the Xbox all day. I guess I come off as more of a relaxed tactician than this guerrilla query **** anymore. This business, doesn't really mean much. It's the networking that I actually like.

Comment

Hobbyists make things that much more difficult for those of us who are attempting to make a profession out of screenwriting.

Comment

How am I, personally, making things more difficult for you? I haven't sent a query in like, 90 days at least. I did send a "How are you doing?" email to a producer I used to hang out with. If my email was replied to and yours was deleted, then I am sorry.

Comment

Agreed. No offense to the OP, but I'm pretty sure his exploits, whichever way he decides to handle them, will have very, very, very, very little to no influence on how well I conduct myself and my career.

Insecurity is a turn-off. Do whatever the **** you want, and don't worry about what others are doing.

Now, if you're talking about the noncommittal "hobbyists" plugging up comm channels with reps and execs - deal with it. Part of the biz.

If you're talking about writing on spec - that's another argument entirely.

Either way, worrying about yourself is the best way to go, in my opinion. Wishing everyone else good luck ain't a bad thing.

Comment

There's a difference between doing a rewrite to gain favor with a producer and having this "oh, I don't care about money" mindset. Writers are low enough on the Hollywood totem pole without writers themselves going around proclaiming that writing isn't real work and doesn't deserve compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
                              There's a difference between doing a rewrite to gain favor with a producer and having this "oh, I don't care about money" mindset. Writers are low enough on the Hollywood totem pole without writers themselves going around proclaiming that writing isn't real work and doesn't deserve compensation.
                              Precisely.

Comment

"Not in it for the money?
                                That a bad thing to tell a potential manager or agent?"

That's where your thread started. Now, it's... this business
                                doesn't matter, e.g. guerilla **** querying. Instead, its
                                networking, hanging out in executives' offices, playing x-box
                                all day, planned events, parties, etc. Wish I had it that way.
                                But like many others, I don't. For me, that business is what
                                I haver after spending so much time trying to learn this craft from reading, studying, listening and writing hard.

Ihavebiglips is right. It ain't bad to wish well. Good luck
                                Bense, just don't trivialize what it takes to write a great spec
                                when you're hanging out...
                                " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X