I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but there's a flaw with your logic (or perhaps I'm misreading your comment).

You are essentially inaccessible. There's really no way for a unknown to get you their script without having some kind of connection to you. e.g. a friend of a friend, or a someone who knows you personally.
    I'm not easily accessible, to be sure. No, direct queries will not work... although as you note, I have read material and championed a writer before, and I'll likely do it again.

I'm using myself as an example of a type of person, however, some of whom *are* accessible via, say, the BL.

Point being... if there are a 100 people reading and rating your script on the BL, I'd rather get a 10 from the one who matters than a 10 from all the rest who don't... and thus, we conclude that the aggregate rating is nice, but as is the case with all aggregations, ignorant of the power of one single "quality" rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
      There's another point I want to make about all of this Black List stuff that I didn't on the podcast, so consider this a special addendum for all you.

There are two kinds of useful buzz for a screenplay.

There's the VOLUME buzz... lots and lots and lots of people start talking about a script, or showing a script some sort of measurable approval (e.g. a high rating on BL). That's nice. It indicates that the patient has a pulse, but as we've all repeated, it doesn't mean the patient is going to wake up or start walking around.

Then there's INDIVIDUAL buzz. Certain people in this town have opinions that matter more than those of a thousand aggregated reviewers. If one of those people really likes your script, you're going to get championed, bought and promoted.

It's hard to prove this, but my experience tells me it's the latter approval that's responsible for the vast majority of success stories.

We live in a time where the crowd is more present and accessible than ever, and yet it's still just the crowd. Screenwriters and screenplays need champions. They need powerful, respected people.

I'm far from powerful, but I do think my opinion is well-regarded by enough people in town to say this: if I read your screenplay and I love it, you're getting representation, and you will be considered for gigs... with the rest, of course, up to you.

So use these tools if you choose, but do not forget... generally speaking, it's not the crowd that makes careers. It's not the aggregation, or the score.

Almost always, it's that one person.

You can have an aggregate score of 2. If the one person who gave it a 10 "matters," then you really have a 10.

You can have an aggregate score of 10. If all of the people who gave it a 10 "don't matter," then you really have a 0.

As much as we wish to democratize opinion, we cannot. Ever.

Some pigs are more equal than others.

So enjoy the great ratings on these sites for what they are worth, but just as importantly, don't freak out over the less-than-great ratings on these sites.
      I feel this is exactly, EXACTLY it and summed up perfectly. You can "bubble under" or perhaps be bubbling up with a bullet and a great deal of buzz and chatter, high scores,accolades, reads, etc... literally on fire with your script....I've always said having that type of buzz is clearly better than sitting at the bottom of the ocean looking up through a thousand feet of water to the surface.

Even if you are just bobbing around in the waves in the sea of writers and scripts, you are seen and being read. A true artist is just happy people are reading your work.

What it takes (really) is that ONE person, that heavyweight, that one exec or person that has REAL ACCESS and relationship to the heavyweight to read your script and CHAMPION it. Period. Achieving that, is the trick... but usually the age old adage of cream rising to the top holds true... mixed with a good marketing plan to stay top of mind and buzzworthy...oh, and of course having a great end product to match your buzz and accolades.
      • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

I'm not easily accessible, to be sure. No, direct queries will not work... although as you note, I have read material and championed a writer before, and I'll likely do it again.

I'm using myself as an example of a type of person, however, some of whom *are* accessible via, say, the BL.

Point being... if there are a 100 people reading and rating your script on the BL, I'd rather get a 10 from the one who matters than a 10 from all the rest who don't... and thus, we conclude that the aggregate rating is nice, but as is the case with all aggregations, ignorant of the power of one single "quality" rating.
        Gotcha...quality over quantity.

Thank you.
        The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

So we use the BL to find out who the big players are and go to them directly? But what's the chance of them opening a query e-mail?

Comment

Now, if the point is find someone who is connected and exploit that relationship, then I get it.
            I guess the word I don't understand here is "exploit". It's my understanding that networking, and getting your script to someone who matters is networking, is about developing real relationships with people and not just using them for what they can do for you. Nobody likes to think that they are being exploited.

And Craig, as someone who reads here and doesn't post here all that much, as you can see, I appreciate your insights and experience and can attest from my experiences that it does take that one person who champions what you do that makes the difference. That one person hooked me up with my manager and in little more than a year I have one successful produced script, another going into production in February, and another in late spring... and some significant (for me) write for hire jobs. And it all started with one influential person believing in what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
              So we use the BL to find out who the big players are and go to them directly? But what's the chance of them opening a query e-mail?
              Without pre-existing connections, the script has to meet the approval of his/her peers before it finally reaches the person with clout -- whose opinion matters the most.

Which is what things like BL, Nicholl etc are supposed to do. Give it that stamp of approval to make someone lower down the food chain check it out and possibly pass it along -- if they think it's good.

The fear I see is when people start thinking, "Holy sh!t, so I don't need to write a good script, I just need to make nice with someone important."

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                I guess the word I don't understand here is "exploit". It's my understanding that networking, and getting your script to someone who matters is networking, is about developing real relationships with people and not just using them for what they can do for you. Nobody likes to think that they are being exploited.
                Perhaps you should look the word up.

Here, let me help you:

ex·ploit
                /ikˈsploit/
                Verb
                1. To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
                2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor. See Synonyms at manipulate.
                3. To advertise; promote.

You do realize a word has more than one meaning. I'm using in the context of making full use of and deriving benefit from (a resource).

You shall see it also means to advertise and promote.

Don't be so pedantic...sheeit.

Comment

Perhaps you should look the word up.

Here, let me help you:

ex·ploit
                  /ikˈsploit/
                  Verb
                  1. To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
                  2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor. See Synonyms at manipulate.
                  3. To advertise; promote.

You do realize a word has more than one meaning. I'm using in the context of making full use of and deriving benefit from (a resource).

You shall see it also means to advertise and promote.

Don't be so pedantic...

okay, I just had to google "pedantic" is that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post

The fear I see is when people start thinking, "Holy sh!t, so I don't need to write a good script, I just need to make nice with someone important."
                    Before I disappear into the ether again, I should have added to my comments that you still have to have excellent work for networking to have it's desired effect. And thanks for the definition...
                    Last edited by EdFury; 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM. Reason: left something off.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
                      okay, I just had to google "pedantic" is that bad?
                      Pretty much...unless you mean that you it was bad that you had to google it, then that would be a no.

Comment

I agree with this. I have plenty of people who hate my script. But just enough people like my writing to give me opportunities.

Comment

Pretty much...unless you mean that you it was bad that you had to google it, then that would be a no.
                          Meant that I had to google it. I learned a new word today, and I like it. Fits many of the replies seen here on DD. I also found "Punctilious" and "Priggish" , a good day.

Comment

Certain people in this town have opinions that matter more than those of a thousand aggregated reviewers. If one of those people really likes your script, you're going to get championed, bought and promoted.
                            Screenwriters and screenplays need champions. They need powerful, respected people.
                            generally speaking, it's not the crowd that makes careers. It's not the aggregation, or the score. Almost always, it's that one person.
                            This bears repeating.

One actor. One director. One exec. One producer. One president of production. One powerful manager. One powerful agent. Those are the people who move needles, who get your script bought, who move your career forward. You want your script to find a champion.

There are many ways to find a champion.

The Black List and all its iterations can find scripts liked by many people. That's useful for what it is, but its deficiency (in both the original list and in the new rating website) is that those scripts which may be loved by one influential champion may not find success in a crowd-sourced venue like the Black List, no matter what the algorithm.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
                              Fits many of the replies seen here on DD.
                              I'd add pontificating to that list and perhaps the Dunning-Kruger effect.

At the end of the day, there's such an extreme gap between the pros versus joes here that it really serves you best to pick your battles and try not to talk in absolutes.

A wise man once said (Socrates):

"I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."

Best of luck!

Comment

Not particularly. There are some decent managers out there (hi, Mike B!), but the signal to noise ratio is far, far lower for managers than it is for agents, IMO.

So many fringe players and sweaty hucksters.
                                Ha. Thanks, Craig!

Best,

MB
                                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                                X