I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    and this is different from being read at any agency, management company, or production company/studio how?
    I think the difference is quality control. Franklin's site will suffer if his readers aren't honest, fair, thorough and objective.

I doubt BL 3.0's motto is: "You know those pesky readers at the big studios who are always lazily skimming your script, looking for the lowest common denomenator? Well, our readers are just as shallow!"
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

[quote=thestuart;850944] Franklin will look after you, he takes review satisfaction VERY seriously.

Yes, please do keep us posted sallain. Was also very surprised by Lauri's experience re Herod as posted on Wagstaff's site above - because my experience was very different, as I posted on a different thread here. I sent in a comedy which was reviewed (I feel) as a biopic because it plays off the legend of a famous person, not to mention some strange misreadings, emailed my 'concerns' and got a 'we stand by our readers' with 'perhaps you ought to learn how to take criticism' reply.

When I replied that I have no problem with notes per se - I've sold 20+ TV scripts - and that the same script had gotten considers, high scores and compliments nearly everywhere else (including from some very well-known agencies and prodcos I haven't named), the tone only hardened. By that point, I very honestly felt a second read would only garner me 'proof' the first reader was right. So I'm amazed that some here have had the opposite experience.

Any ideas as to why?

I should add that it wasn't even that the reader didn't get it at all. She noted several times how funny it was, but her 'confusion' obviously stemmed from the fact she was critiquing it as a biopic - which it isn't.

Also, as I feared, one one hidden review seems to make a very bad impression...

Funny, sounds like it was just the opposite of your situation with Herod, Lauri. Perhaps I should request the same reader! Weird.

Comment

I got an 8. I'm going to Disneyland!

(And I officially hate all y'all overachievers.)

Comment

Originally posted by niwa View Post
          The Last Saxon

When Lord John is forced to evacuate his castle before it falls under siege, his teenage daughter Thea gets left behind and defends the walls of her home from an army of invaders.

https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/5949
          Thanks for sharing! Sounds like Brave meets Die Hard! Not on BL yet, so can't see more, but best of luck with it!
          @MacBullitt

Comment

[QUOTE=cuppajoe;850988]
            Originally posted by thestuart View Post
            Franklin will look after you, he takes review satisfaction VERY seriously.

Yes, please do keep us posted sallain. Was also very surprised by Lauri's experience re Herod as posted on Wagstaff's site above - because my experience was very different, as I posted on a different thread here. I sent in a comedy which was reviewed (I feel) as a biopic because it plays off the legend of a famous person, not to mention some strange misreadings, emailed my 'concerns' and got a 'we stand by our readers' with 'perhaps you ought to learn how to take criticism' reply.

When I replied that I have no problem with notes per se - I've sold 20+ TV scripts - and that the same script had gotten considers, high scores and compliments nearly everywhere else (including from some very well-known agencies and prodcos I haven't named), the tone only hardened. By that point, I very honestly felt a second read would only garner me 'proof' the first reader was right. So I'm amazed that some here have had the opposite experience.

Any ideas as to why?

I should add that it wasn't even that the reader didn't get it at all. She noted several times how funny it was, but her 'confusion' obviously stemmed from the fact she was critiquing it as a biopic - which it isn't.

Also, as I feared, one one hidden review seems to make a very bad impression...

Funny, sounds like it was just the opposite of your situation with Herod, Lauri. Perhaps I should request the same reader! Weird.
            I got the same 'stand by our readers' response. The reviews are subjective, there's still an element of luck in getting the right reader, that's just how it has to be. I had one review where the reader was never going to like my script, it clearly wasn't to their taste, but there's no way of avoiding it. But out of six reviews its only happened once. Yeah it destroys your average and wipes out your investment in positive reviews, but it could go the other way too with the perfect reader.
            Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Okay just read the blog. Lauri got a negative review pulled - are you freaking kidding me!?!?

Please tell me this isn't true.
              Last edited by CJ Walley; 01-16-2013, 01:05 AM.
              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

[quote=thestuart;851017]
                Originally posted by cuppajoe View Post

I got the same 'stand by our readers' response. The reviews are subjective, there's still an element of luck in getting the right reader, that's just how it has to be. I had one review where the reader was never going to like my script, it clearly wasn't to their taste, but there's no way of avoiding it. But out of six reviews its only happened once. Yeah it destroys your average and wipes out your investment in positive reviews, but it could go the other way too with the perfect reader.
                There needs to be an Olympic-type scoring model. Maybe best 3 out of 5 scores, and only those 3 contribute to your average. It prevents one or two rogue judges from screwing up your score.

Right now, a 9,8,9,8 and a 2 gives you an average of 7.2. I'm sorry, but that's BS.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

[QUOTE=FoxHound;851019]

There needs to be an Olympic-type scoring model. Maybe best 3 out of 5 scores, and only those 3 contribute to your average. It prevents one or two rogue judges from screwing up your score.

Right now, a 9,8,9,8 and a 2 gives you an average of 7.2. I'm sorry, but that's BS.
                  This is what I was arguing a few pages back, the aggregate score isn't representative.

I just don't think negative views should count equally, negative views are ten a penny, it's champions that count.

Or an alternative is like Amazon reviews, where you can see a breakdown of the scoring i.e two nines, two eights, one two.

Comment

I like the idea of seeing a breakdown of all scores

Comment

I think the review was pulled not because it was negative but because it got basic facts wrong (rated as a comedy when it clearly wasn't, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by coffeywriter View Post
                        I think the review was pulled not because it was negative but because it got basic facts wrong (rated as a comedy when it clearly wasn't, etc)
                        I'd certainly like to know the full details behind it.

Comment

I'd certainly like to know the full details behind it.
                          That's all there was to it. The review described my script "Herod" as an action comedy and said there weren't enough jokes in it.

"Herod" is an action-comedy in the same way "Gladiator" or "Spartacus" is.

So Franklin apologized and pulled the review and gave me another one for free.

I don't think the BL pulls any reviews just because the writer thinks the reviewer was too harsh. But if the reviewer got something important fundamentally wrong, then that's grounds to complain.
                          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                            That's all there was to it. The review described my script "Herod" as an action comedy and said there weren't enough jokes in it.

"Herod" is an action-comedy in the same way "Gladiator" or "Spartacus" is.

So Franklin apologized and pulled the review and gave me another one for free.

I don't think the BL pulls any reviews just because the writer thinks the reviewer was too harsh. But if the reviewer got something important fundamentally wrong, then that's grounds to complain.
                            Thanks for the explanation Lauri, much appreciated.

Comment

[QUOTE=FoxHound;851019]

I agree. Or throw out the low and high scores.

And there needs to be a way to distinguish the ratings based on paid reviews from the community reviews.
                              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

[QUOTE=LauriD;851033]
                                Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                                And there needs to be a way to distinguish the ratings based on paid reviews from the community reviews.
                                I agree strongly with this, we have no scope on the integrity of the industry members. Personally I'd consider the option to turn off Industry Member reviews if it were there.

Comment

Working...
                                X