I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
    Not saying there'll be anything sinister, I do appreciate what the site is doing. But all a second review could do at this point is stroke my ego.
    Understood. Although if the problems are minor, there's the chance the second review may score it a lot highly. Standard deviation is supposed to be something like just 1 point difference but I've personally seen variation as high as 4 points on one of my scripts.

I respect where you are though, when you hold yourself to a high standard, have all those dreams in your head, love your script, and you know you need an eight to get anywhere, a five can feel like a really kick to the gut.

But believe me, a three is like a kick to the balls.
    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
      Understood. Although if the problems are minor, there's the chance the second review may score it a lot highly. Standard deviation is supposed to be something like just 1 point difference but I've personally seen variation as high as 4 points on one of my scripts.

I respect where you are though, when you hold yourself to a high standard, have all those dreams in your head, love your script, and you know you need an eight to get anywhere, a five can feel like a really kick to the gut.

But believe me, a three is like a kick to the balls.
      A fifty dollar chance. You could lose a lot of money chasing that eight.

I see my BL experience as another contest, just one that handed out the results in two weeks instead of several months. I didn't make the quarterfinals. Or maybe semis. This analogy is a work in progress.

Comment

Isn't there a chance I might get the same reviewer that way? I'm annoyed I accidentally gave him a three star rating than a 2. The complaints he made were minor so it just baffles me why it's a 5. Some of it seemed to go over his head.

Nothing against BL, I just hate the opinions of the derps that get hired as readers.
        General bit of advice.

Don't talk like this.

You can think it all you want. But let's be clear: either the reader is right and your opinion of your own script is off-base, which is bad, or the reader is wrong and isn't good at evaluating scripts, in which case further reviews will likely be better.

Either way, asking for feedback (paid or unpaid) and then complaining when you don't like it is a bush move. If you want to be a professional screenwriter, understand that many of your days will be filled with negative feedback you find inaccurate, counterproductive, even ignorant.

Don't whine about it. Ever.

Start to learn how to quietly compartmentalize it in your own mind. You simply won't survive otherwise.

Even if you're with a group of writer friends, unless you're playing a light-hearted game of "what's the worst note you've ever received?", keep it to yourself.

Why?

90% of the time, people will hear your whine and say something encouraging...

...while thinking "his script stinks and he's delusional."

I mean it.

Complaining about bad reviews is a no-win.

Comment

I know all your points are right. Maybe I should have took the time to get over it but instead I was out for blood. I might have made myself look bad but at the time I just needed to get it out there. I might get the second review and I guess we'll see if I am delusional. I'm my own biggest critic anyway. If anybody wants a read to see if I'm justified or an asshat let me know.

Comment

Can you delete a script on the BL and upload a different one, if you still have a few weeks left on month?

Comment

I guess, you'd have to ask Franklin if that's an option. I'm sure other people have been able to do it.

Comment

I hope you're all exploring other avenues for getting your material read while you're pouring over the Black List 3.0 site and trying to figure out if you should get a second or a third read or upload a new script...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                  General bit of advice.

Don't talk like this.

You can think it all you want. But let's be clear: either the reader is right and your opinion of your own script is off-base, which is bad, or the reader is wrong and isn't good at evaluating scripts, in which case further reviews will likely be better.

Either way, asking for feedback (paid or unpaid) and then complaining when you don't like it is a bush move. If you want to be a professional screenwriter, understand that many of your days will be filled with negative feedback you find inaccurate, counterproductive, even ignorant.

Don't whine about it. Ever.

Start to learn how to quietly compartmentalize it in your own mind. You simply won't survive otherwise.

Even if you're with a group of writer friends, unless you're playing a light-hearted game of "what's the worst note you've ever received?", keep it to yourself.

Why?

90% of the time, people will hear your whine and say something encouraging...

...while thinking "his script stinks and he's delusional."

I mean it.

Complaining about bad reviews is a no-win.
                  That's also good advice in others jobs, marriage, if you're ever in a Senate confirmation hearing etc.

Comment

After getting a few reads from people here it seems the consensus is that it needs fleshing out. I'll eat the humble pie and get to work on a rewrite. I'll try blacklist again with a more straightforward script soon.

(Though I'll still complain 5 was harsh, need to throw myself a bone. I'm so awesome and talented. Maniacal laughter)

Comment

After getting a few reads from people here it seems the consensus is that it needs fleshing out. I'll eat the humble pie and get to work on a rewrite. I'll try blacklist again with a more straightforward script soon.

(Though I'll still complain 5 was harsh, need to throw myself a bone. I'm so awesome and talented. Maniacal laughter)
                      This isn't really directed at you, please don't take it that way. But, I have to say, if anything, I think the scores on the BL tend to be overly generous (I haven't read your script). And, people seem to think that a seven or a six are somehow "decent", I don't think they are. This is the problem with script consultants, services, friends, anything and everything other than the marketplace itself, none of them are as harsh as reality.

People need to be much, much, harder on themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                        This isn't really directed at you, please don't take it that way. But, I have to say, if anything, I think the scores on the BL tend to be overly generous (I haven't read your script). And, people seem to think that a seven or a six are somehow "decent", I don't think they are. This is the problem with script consultants, services, friends, anything and everything other than the marketplace itself, none of them are as harsh as reality.

People need to be much, much, harder on themselves.
                        I've been wondering this myself. I'm less than a year into writing and both my first and second scripts have got sevens on BL. Looking at them objectively I'm not so sure they deserve them.
                        Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

This may be of interest to some...

I got 3 paid reviews for my script THE TIME MACHINE.

And the scores for all the catagories were literally all over the place. Ranging from 9 to 4.

There was not a single 3-reviewer consensus in any of the catagories.

The closest to a consensus was when 2 out of 3 reviewers gave me the same score in 3 of the catagories. But oddly enough, the dissenting reviewer in each of those 3 cases was off by a full 3 points.

Just looking at the numerical scores, it looks all very random.

However...

(and this is the part I found most useful)

However, all of the comments were EXTREMELY similar.

Regardless of the scores, the three reviewers all identified the exact same strengths and weaknesses in the script.

They felt it was an extremely commercial story, that needed some work in order to be marketable. Some just felt it needed more work, others less.

I even submitted my script to SpecScout and their three reviewers also identified the exact same strengths and weaknesses. But once again, the scores were all over the place. One of the readers even gave my script a recommend!

So, does this mean that the process is flawed because the scores are so uneven?

No. The huge variance in scoring actually reflects a problem with my script. Not the system.

If a script has potential, but still needs a lot of work, then this is what you should expect to see. Scores all over the place. Some readers will focus more on what's working. While others will focus more on what isn't.

If a script was beyond repair, then I'm sure the scores would be very similar across the board.

And the same would be true if a script was "market ready".

So to echo other people's advice: we should stop trying to fix the system, and instead focus on fixing our script.

Especially when all the comments point to the same weaknesses.

That's what I'm doing right now.

And even though it was a huge boost to get that one recommend, the fact that the other 5 reviewers didn't agree tells me that I better do some major rewriting if I want to stand a chance on the market.

Because when there's a few hundred thousand dollars on the line, people tend to be a lot harder on the material then the Black List or SpecScout readers are.

So best of luck to everyone who's trying to break in.

And to all those who are trying to help them.

Now I better get back to work...

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                            This may be of interest to some...

I got 3 paid reviews for my script THE TIME MACHINE.

And the scores for all the catagories were literally all over the place. Ranging from 9 to 4.

There was not a single 3-reviewer consensus in any of the catagories.

The closest to a consensus was when 2 out of 3 reviewers gave me the same score in 3 of the catagories. But oddly enough, the dissenting reviewer in each of those 3 cases was off by a full 3 points.

Just looking at the numerical scores, it looks all very random.

However...

(and this is the part I found most useful)

However, all of the comments were EXTREMELY similar.

Regardless of the scores, the three reviewers all identified the exact same strengths and weaknesses in the script.

They felt it was an extremely commercial story, that needed some work in order to be marketable. Some just felt it needed more work, others less.

I even submitted my script to SpecScout and their three reviewers also identified the exact same strengths and weaknesses. But once again, the scores were all over the place. One of the readers even gave my script a recommend!

So, does this mean that the process is flawed because the scores are so uneven?

No. The huge variance in scoring actually reflects a problem with my script. Not the system.

If a script has potential, but still needs a lot of work, then this is what you should expect to see. Scores all over the place. Some readers will focus more on what's working. While others will focus more on what isn't.

If a script was beyond repair, then I'm sure the scores would be very similar across the board.

And the same would be true if a script was "market ready".

So to echo other people's advice: we should stop trying to fix the system, and instead focus on fixing our script.

Especially when all the comments point to the same weaknesses.

That's what I'm doing right now.

And even though it was a huge boost to get that one recommend, the fact that the other 5 reviewers didn't agree tells me that I better do some major rewriting if I want to stand a chance on the market.

Because when there's a few hundred thousand dollars on the line, people tend to be a lot harder on the material then the Black List or SpecScout readers are.

So best of luck to everyone who's trying to break in.

And to all those who are trying to help them.

Now I better get back to work...

Gary
                            How long did it take to get your scores from the Blacklist reviewers?
                            FADE IN:
                            PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Jan 14: Uploaded script and paid for 3 reviews.

Jan 25: First review came in.

Jan 31: Second review came in (just past midnight on Jan 30).

Jan 31: Third review came in.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                                Jan 14: Uploaded script and paid for 3 reviews.

Jan 25: First review came in.

Jan 31: Second review came in (just past midnight on Jan 30).

Jan 31: Third review came in.

Hope that helps.
                                Thanks. Uploaded mine on the 16th, so I'm trying to get an idea regarding the queue time. Wednesday marks my three week deadline, so I'm sure it'll get in by then...
                                FADE IN:
                                PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Working...
                                X