I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
    I didn't want to make a new thread about the Black List, so here goes my question:

Is it normal to not get many impressions and downloads for your script until the paid review is in? I currently have 2 non-reviewed scripts hosted on BL, with a total of 7 impressions (although I saw on here that certain users have gotten somewhere in the 200+ range for theirs).
    Yeah that's pretty normal although paid reviews are unlikely to make a difference unless you get good ratings
    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
      Yeah that's pretty normal although paid reviews are unlikely to make a difference unless you get good ratings
      Ok, but ratings come from (good) reviews, correct? And those ratings can come from paid and unpaid reviews? Is there anything I can do to get more eyes on my scripts, besides shameless self-promotion on different forums?

I'm new to BL if that wasn't painfully obvious by now

Comment

Ok, but ratings come from (good) reviews, correct? And those ratings can come from paid and unpaid reviews? Is there anything I can do to get more eyes on my scripts, besides shameless self-promotion on different forums?

BL is all about validation, Industry Members are swamped by script submissions and BL effectively spotlights the ones paid readers think are good enough to consider.

You certainly can try to drive traffic to your listing to get unpaid reviews, and it seems people with very compelling concepts have achieved this.
        Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Ratings come from paid reviews and from unpaid pros. They can be good or bad.

There are at least some pro BL members here on DD. Not sure about other sites.
          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List

Originally posted by Chief View Post
            I remember someone (I think Frank) saying it's very hard to get a 9/10. So if that doesn't warrant a meeting/signing or even an e-mail than why join?

You're probably right though, but if others get 9's and nothing comes of it what's the point?
            Circling back on this early post --

Almost 6 weeks later I'm at 542 impressions, 23 downloads, 6 ratings.

No calls, no emails, no meetings.

So it was an interesting experiment, and something may yet come of it, but I'll probably be pulling it when the month runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post

And on that note -- more competition:

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/obam...screenwriting/
              Just what we all needed... might be easier to break in as a presidential speechwriter than sell a script given what I've been reading.

Nah, BL's faster...
              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-09-2013, 01:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code.
              " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                Circling back on this early post --

So it was an interesting experiment, and something may yet come of it, but I'll probably be pulling it when the month runs out.
                Yeah, but Lauri, you already have a manager.

And I get the feel that most of the really active Industry members on BL are managers.

So if you were unrepped you probably would've been contacted by now.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                  Lauri:

I'm curious... Just to put these numbers and your experience in perspective, a few questions:

1) How long have you had your rep?

2) Did your rep circulate Whiplash prior to you listing it on BL3?

3) You've listed your Nicholl's standings for Whiplash elsewhere, so it was entered at least 3 different years... how old is this script?

4) Has your rep been actively working with you on other projects?

5) Have they circulated any of your other work?

6) Has your rep ever gotten you any meetings or phone calls?

7) Are all your specs period pieces?

8) Do you -- and/or your rep -- consider Whiplash to be your best spec?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                    Yeah, but Lauri, you already have a manager.

And I get the feel that most of the really active Industry members on BL are managers.

So if you were unrepped you probably would've been contacted by now.
                    No, I probably wouldn't. Based on the history to date, the odds are only 3.5% that anyone with an 8 or 9 on the BL will get a manager as a result.

I'm not slamming the BL -- I'm just (repeatedly) saying that people need to be realistic about what it will do for them.

Comment

@ kmcg - the point is that of ALL scripts rated 8 or 9, only EIGHT (3.5%) have gotten a rep or option as a result. It's not about the particulars of any ONE script, it's what we're seeing for ALL scripts.

It seems that most top-rated scripts are getting about 20-30 downloads from the 1500 or so industry members -- i.e., only 1.5% of the industry members are downloading the TOP scripts.

Per the email from the BL that came out Feb 4: there have been 3000 downloads of 400 scripts out of 2500 total uploaded since October 15 (almost 4 months ago).

I.e., 16% of the uploaded scripts have been downloaded by industry people.

The 400 scripts that have been downloaded are averaging 7.5 downloads each But downloads seem to be heavily weighted toward the 225 rated 8 and 9 -- hence the 20-30 for those.
                      Last edited by LauriD; 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

LauriD:

I think kmcg asked some interesting questions, things I was wondering myself since I'm also working on a female-lead western in the works. It could really be helpful to a lot of us, I think, to hear your responses.

However, since you chose not to address them, let's talk about the numbers you crunched above. Since day one, I think it's been clear that BL is another way for an unrepped writer to get reads in addition to cold queries. I was never under the impression any repped writer would garner options or meetings from the service. It seems to me you're arguing a point that was never an inherent marketing promise. Add to this, the results of your particular experiment appears to prove this -- it's a service designed for the unrepped.

And I'm wondering about something else -- something perhaps a person on the management side can answer -- is there a chance a writer can over-expose their work? Using Whiplash as an example, if, after 23 downloads, plus whatever exposure it has had on Amazon, on top of whomever your rep has sent the script to, what do these stats communicate to a mildly interested party who comes across the script on BL? I'd really like to hear how a manager thinks in this situation.

I ask because, back when I had a manager, who was pretty green at that, the first question he asked me was how many industry people had read and passed on the script. This was an important stat for him.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I haven't used the service myself, but a friend whose script received two 8s and was subsequently featured in the first industry email that went out said absolutely nothing came of it.

Comment

Originally posted by robertcc View Post
                            I haven't used the service myself, but a friend whose script received two 8s and was subsequently featured in the first industry email that went out said absolutely nothing came of it.
                            Back when it was Black List 2.0?

Comment

The point should be that the BL3 has made this more true than it has ever been: If it's good enough, it will find a way.

If there are a large number of downloads, views, reads or what-the-****-evers and a low number of results, then... obviously... those scripts were not good enough. Or didn't fit. Or were a hard sale. Or whatever the case may be. But they did not find a way. Period.

If BL3 is getting eyes on material, the numbers really don't matter. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                                The point should be that the BL3 has made this more true than it has ever been: If it's good enough, it will find a way.
                                But isn't that circular reasoning? "If it's good enough it will find a way." Therefore, if it didn't find a way it must not be "good enough." And if it did find a way then it must have been "good enough"?

I.e., all good scripts are successful, and all successful scripts are good?

Does anyone really believe that's true?

I believe more and more in what Craig said -- all it takes is that one person who really loves the script (or the idea behind it) and has the power to make something happen.

And the point of the BL is to put potentially "good enough" scripts in front of many eyes in hopes that it will catch the right ones.

After two months of hosting and one paid review, I'm suspending Whiplash.

I got 596 impressions and 26 downloads, which is pretty good exposure for $100 -- and a lot more reads than I got when it made the top 30 of the Nicholl (twice).

It would be nice if something had come of it -- an email, even. But so it goes...

Comment

Working...
                                X