No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Project

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on finding an agent for one's first project. It's taken 2 years for me to finish my screenplay - it's come out well - and I've taken the time to craft a strong query as well. But, I am on query #1200 now. I was quite realistic on this perhaps being an outcome, although it is still disappointing to create something good and not be able to sell it.

It seems an issue with most of the agencies is they just don't represent screenplays at all. Should I keep trying, do you think? Or should I write a book first or something...?

Alexander

Re: First Project

1) write something else
    2) you want a manager, not an agent
    3) What is your logline? Candidly, I'm guessing it's not strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      1) write something else
      2) you want a manager, not an agent
      3) What is your logline? Candidly, I'm guessing it's not strong.
      THIS
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by alexander18 View Post
        It seems an issue with most of the agencies is they just don't represent screenplays at all.
        Sounds like you don't know the difference between the two distinct categories of literary agents: in the BOOK world, a literary agent represents just that: novels, works of non-fiction, cookbooks, graphic novels, etc. NOT screenplays.

In the FILM world, i.e. Hollywood primarily, a literary agent is someone who represents screenwriters. So do managers.

You want to find those lists, not the lists of agents who represent book writers.

A good place to start is right here on Done Deal Pro. If you buy a paid membership for something like 30 bucks a year, you have access to all the lists: production companies, agents, managers, and more. You can see who represents what and who, who sold what to who, etc. It's a great research tool.

Like others have said though, first post your query here to get some feedback from people who have been doing this for a long time.

Comment

This is not only for Alexander but for anyone out there writing, trying to find a repping, querying producers, etc.

In 99% of the cases you shouldn't be querying off your first and only script. Get a few scripts under your belt first so that you not only have the experience of writing more than one script but also have a "body work."

Second, please don't tell people or even privately think too much, "My script is great or good." It's not your call. Let others tell you how good it is, because ultimately that's what really counts if you want to work professionally. I've been reading scripts forever now, and the worst scripts I've ever read came from writers who thought their scripts were good or great. Never seems to fail. Be confident. Feel good about your accomplishment having written a script(s). But don't run around telling people how good it is. They will let you know if it is good or not, so to speak. (I know and have known working writers, Oscar nominated, and Oscar winning writers. Never heard them once say, how great they were or how good their scripts were. Their writing did the talking.)

And if you have sent out 1,200 queries and heard nothing, there is almost certainly a "problem" with your logline, your query letter and/or your story/script has a whole.

As others noted above, keep writing some. If you really feel driven to try to get a rep this early, then focus on managers. Even going directly to smaller and even some medium size production companies will probably prove more fruitful than agents at this stage.
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 09-29-2019, 07:42 AM.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Will going full Gucci. Ha!

But, yup, same thought. Assume your sh!t sucks until REAL people tell you it ain’t [sh!tty].

Word for word what Will said.

Good luck!

(Ps... “what the fukk u talking ‘bout Gucci. You got signed off your first script.” True. But, I’d read and given notes on my ex’s clients scripts for 10 years previous to that. TEN YEARS!)

Said another way. I’ve written a fukk ton of sh!t and been CLOSE with several projects. Still, I’m certain I don’t know what I’m doing. NEVER assume you’re good. NEVER! EVER!

Comment

He should absolutely query with his first script if he wants to. Why the hell not? What's the worst that can happen? Nobody will want to read it? They'll read and pass? Guess what, that can happen after 2 or 5 or 10 scripts. At least this way he'll get used to the process and learn something--while he's working on script No. 2.

As for not thinking you're good or never being free to say so, bullsh!t. Most screenwriters act like doormats. What are we supposed to think about what we write? That it's crap? Then why are we even doing it in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                He should absolutely query with his first script if he wants to. Why the hell not? What's the worst that can happen? Nobody will want to read it? They'll read and pass? Guess what, that can happen after 2 or 5 or 10 scripts. At least this way he'll get used to the process and learn something--while he's working on script No. 2.

As for not thinking you're good or never being free to say so, bullsh!t. Most screenwriters act like doormats. What are we supposed to think about what we write? That it's crap? Then why are we even doing it in the first place?
                Sure. Query away. But if the script is no good, you might burn bridges. I never said, don't. I even noted, "If you really feel driven to try to get a rep this early, then focus on managers." Just said usually not the best for the vast majority of writers just starting out and agents are very tough on what & who they want to rep. It's a free country, though, so one has to make the best call for themselves.

And I never said, don't have any confidence in your writing, yourself or your material. Have some. Most if not all writers do, otherwise why would they even try, as you noted. What I noted was don't go around talking about how great you are or how good your script is. It comes off poorly in any situation and any job really. Nobody really likes an overly confident person even if they can back up the talk. Walk the walk. Let your writing do the talking. People will notice if you are good or not. Humility is not bad. Confidence is one thing. Over confidence is whole nother.

Again, do whatever you want. I'm simply offering up advice based on my working experiences. Take or leave it. It's not crap or bullshit advice. I promise you. After running this site and helping writers for 22 years now (this month), I don't throw out advice lightly. I want to see everyone succeed.
                Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 09-30-2019, 05:20 AM. Reason: Clarity
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I just think writers are paranoid and insecure enough as it is, compared to other artists (Dude! Come and check out my new alt metal band! It's gonna rock! Hey guys! I have this tiny part in this off-off-off-off-off-off Broadway play, you should like totally check it out cause it's gonna be awesome!) so it's just one of my pet peeves, sorry.

There are so many threads here where someone is all pumped up after completing their first script, and they ask, What's next?, and everybody says, "OMG, put that script away and write like 10 more before you even THINK of sending them out!"

In my mind, getting something out there is part of the process, and it gets your enthusiasm going. And then getting rejected is also par for the course, and your skin grows a little thicker, and you learn as you go.
                  Last edited by Rantanplan; 09-29-2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I'm saying:

Hit 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 5th gear, 10th gear of enthusiasm WHILE you're writing it, then downshift to NUTRAL while you're shopping it.

When you're shopping it take the: "WHO KNOWS?" approach. Do not tell me it's good. Just tell me it's DONE.

But, after 1200 rejections, and no "YES"s maybe it's time to write something ELSE.

Comment

Look, we all remember our first script, so let's not beat around the bush. They sucked. Mined sucked, yours sucked. Unless your a genius who captured lightening in a bottle, everyone's first script is terrible.

You can make the argument that the OP is free to waste his time, but in my opinion he's being disrespectful of the reader's time by sending them a script that we all know is not ready. And it's not ready because the writer is not ready. It takes years and numerous scripts to get there.

Maybe they give the script 10 pages or even 30. But we know they won't read the whole thing. And they'll know in the first three sentences what they're in for. Regardless, this is time they won't get back. And by reading something that's not ready by a writer who's not ready, they'll be honestly pissed and less inclined the next time to solicit a script from a querying writer who might be ready.

These are the situations that sour people on reading queries in the first place. You shouldn't do it unless you've put in the time and effort to get yourself ready.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                        But, after 1200 rejections, and no "YES"s maybe it's time to write something ELSE.

His post indicates that he was targeting the wrong agencies. He wasn't targeting film industry lit agents but publishing industry lit agents--who don't represent screenwriters.

As for the rest, to each their own journey.

Comment

Originally posted by alexander18 View Post
                          Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on finding an agent for one's first project. It's taken 2 years for me to finish my screenplay - it's come out well - and I've taken the time to craft a strong query as well. But, I am on query #1200 now. I was quite realistic on this perhaps being an outcome, although it is still disappointing to create something good and not be able to sell it.

It seems an issue with most of the agencies is they just don't represent screenplays at all. Should I keep trying, do you think? Or should I write a book first or something...?

Alexander
                          Hi Alexander:
                          First, congratulations on completing your first screenplay. It's quite an accomplishment. And you should be proud.

As difficult as it is to hear the advice on the board, it is accurate. We ALL have been in your shoes, the difference is we have the added benefit of hind sight.

I did the same thing. I sent out my first script and it was good and bad. The concept was strong, so I had a handful of people say that this was not for them but encouraged me to submit samples in the future. It wasn't ready. Not even close.

You don't want to waste an industry professional's time, especially since it can be a great contact for the future, so consider taking a step back and establish a plan.

Get peer feedback. Getting feedback from writers that are better than you will elevate your writing, especially if you're willing to listen and consider opinions with an open mind toward becoming the best writer you can be. You can safely post pages here under the Script Pages Feedback subheader. Take some time and read those submissions to get a feel for gauging where your writing level compares. This is about being honest with yourself. We all have to start somewhere.

Start working on a new project while your pages are under review. Troubleshoot new ideas, take classes, read scripts, read books, read scripts, analyze movies. But get going on something new while you receive feedback on your pages. You can post, I think, 6 pages at a time.

If you go to the script pages here, it is a closed thread that only people who have registered previously are allowed to participate. You're already protected by copyright laws, so it's a safe environment to post pages.

We will, members on the board, provide opinions of your pages which can show you your strengths and more importantly what you need to work on. Comments are offered to help the writer grow and understand where they are in their journey. Always remember that opinions are just that, opinions and they can vary widely, just as movie reviews can vary between audience members. It does not mean you need apply everything that is offered. It does not mean that you should use any of it. Reviews are offered for "consideration." It's your screenplay and you will need to decide what applies and what doesn't jive with your intention. What you might learn is that a critical piece of information that you know about your story was left off the page. Often notes will reveal when aspects of your narrative are unclear.

You sent 1,200 queries to who? Agents that represent novelists or screenwriters? I have never had any success with Agents personally, however, Managers used to be open to reading material from new writers. Right now is a really tough time because of the ATA/WGA standoff. If you don't know anything about it, you might want to research it, just so you're somewhat aware of the fight that has been ongoing since April 12th.

I want to stress that just because this is your first script, it doesn't mean you aren't a good writer or that you don't have what it takes to succeed. What it means is that, like all of us, you need time to develop your craft and the ONLY way to do that is to write, read scripts, and repeat, over and over again for years.

The advice in this thread is solid. Now it's time to reflect on the advice and make a choice to learn from it, and set a plan in motion that will get you to your goal-- to write a produceable script that someone wants to buy.

When you're ready, your first major goal might be to find a manager. You won't need an agent until you have script that is ready to be sell/be produced. That's when they get involved; when it's time to sell.

And hell, if you post your pages and they're brilliant, everyone on this board will be happy to tell you so. But it's more likely that it will be just the next step in your journey.

Good luck to you and your project.
                          FA4
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Thank you, FinalAct, it looks like you wrote your comment as I was posting mine. It looks like I may be emailing the wrong people (book agencies, and the list of "agents" on here). I will give the list of "managers" on here a try for sure.

Comment

I personally find the “write more!” advice to be a bit tedious and it can come across as a bit pretentious or magic bullet-y, depending on how it is delivered/received. But there’s a reason it is given so often. There’s a reason I used it in this thread. Because it works.

As to your specific situation, the amount of time spent putting together all of these documents as you have would be better spent on writing something else. Or turning your story into a book. Because there is no IP here and it screams expensive.

The fact that you haven’t received any responses to your queries is unsurprising. Quick hello that doesn’t read like a mass query, title, genre, and quick and compelling logline. That’s it. And candidly, there’s no commercial hook here. So maybe write the book so you have IP. Or write something else.

TBH, having seen dozens of posts like this over the years, you seem to be...intelligent. With some level of self awareness that others often lack. I’d focus on writing something great. It’s not a warp zone to 8-1, but it provides a much better ROI on time spent.

Cheers.

Edit: seeing your last post now. I wouldn’t query anyone with the above. Tell you what - PM a link to your script and I’ll tell you if you should be reaching out to managers or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X