Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Managers -- What Is and Is Not An Ideal Relationship

Last edited by docgonzo; 07-23-2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      It must be the Gucci glasses in your avatar picture. It gives you a certain air that you've arrived.
      Ha! Nah... that's all for show. The Gucci glasses are rentals. LOL
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

...They at least give you a measure of where you are.
        I'd advise against allowing these contests to determine that for you. When you get enough feedback from legit writer/director/industry friends that you're ready, go for it, start hustling!

Example of why not to let competitions determine your marketability: Nothing against Nicholl, however, several years ago I entered a script that had already gotten me signed at CAA... as a test. How would my script do in a competition? No idea. But ultimately. Answer: NOTHING! I was out first round. Same script got me signed at CAA.

Meaning, imagine if I'd sent the script to the competition and let them decide if I was ready. I'd have gotten the news that I didn't make it past the first round and assumed I wasn't good enough. Actually, now that I think about it, pretty sure I submitted 2 scripts that year. The other script landed me many meetings with tastemakers, one of which offered me a job. So... NO! Don't let these competitions be your barometer of whether or not you're ready. Reps aren't necessarily looking for the same thing the competitions are. I failed with BOTH scripts in the Nicholl, dead on first round, but both had already gone out and gotten me 1) An agent. 2) Traction. 3) A gig.

Fukk it, I'll admit something else: I kinda "fooled around" with (Feel me?) a Nicholl judge and she read the one script off the record and told me why she thought it didn't do well. They're looking for something specific. [She will remain nameless. If she reads this, she'll be able to figure out who I am. Don't worry I'll never admit who you are nor the entire true story. Swear on my life! But those were wild times, eh? LOL]
        Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-17-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Hi!
          Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-23-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks FinalAct.

LOL, yeah, no one's looking for quarter final scripts... a writer should just pretend they don't have those and just mention their finalist scripts. Too bad most of those deadlines have passed and there isn't something that equivalent in the October 2019 to January 2020 time period when I think I'll probably have a vetted script. Those top contests are a great boost for your confidence, though, even if you don't win it. They at least give you a measure of where you are.

The only thing I really care about is what vehicle will get the attention of the superstar managers.
            I'd be really curious to hear who some superstar managers are if you get a second

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
              They're looking for something specific.
              Could you elaborate on this? I might already have an idea but I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                Could you elaborate on this? I might already have an idea but I'm curious.
                Very specifically: SMALL/QUIANT

One of my scripts was like Hell or High Water/Sicario/No Country. It wasn't gonna do well in Nicholl, too violent, too dark. Was a fukked up brutal story, but tastemakers liked it. So...?

I feel like I'm about to get a metal ruler to the knuckles from Nicholl for saying this, but... it seems that that's generally what they like. Super small sweet sh!t. Bigger concepts tend to not do well in Nicholl. There's always the anomaly, but for me, it feels a bit like a Fox Searchlight-like search engine. But hey, look at the Oscars. Feel me? Big sh!t does so bad at the Oscars that they hadda pretend to invent a new Oscar.

...That's just weird.

Ultimately, 2 things people care about in this industry as it pertains to writers. 1) Is this a million dollar per script writer -OR- 2) Can this writer win an Oscar? I think you gotta choose one, as a writer, because they don't overlap.
                Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-17-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
                  I'd be really curious to hear who some superstar managers are if you get a second

Good Fear, Lit Entertainment, Energy Entertainment, Bellvue. I am sure others will have different ideas on this. But, those are the ones I am looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                    I'd advise against allowing these contests to determine that for you. When you get enough feedback from legit writer/director/industry friends that you're ready, go for it, start hustling!

Example of why not to let competitions determine your marketability: Nothing against Nicholl, however, several years ago I entered a script that had already gotten me signed at CAA... as a test. How would my script do in a competition? No idea. But ultimately. Answer: NOTHING! I was out first round. Same script got me signed at CAA.

Meaning, imagine if I'd sent the script to the competition and let them decide if I was ready. I'd have gotten the news that I didn't make it past the first round and assumed I wasn't good enough. Actually, now that I think about it, pretty sure I submitted 2 scripts that year. The other script landed me many meetings with tastemakers, one of which offered me a job. So... NO! Don't let these competitions be your barometer of whether or not you're ready. Reps aren't necessarily looking for the same thing the competitions are. I failed with BOTH scripts in the Nicholl, dead on first round, but both had already gone out and gotten me 1) An agent. 2) Traction. 3) A gig.

Fukk it, I'll admit something else: I kinda "fooled around" with (Feel me?) a Nicholl judge and she read the one script off the record and told me why she thought it didn't do well. They're looking for something specific. [She will remain nameless. If she reads this, she'll be able to figure out who I am. Don't worry I'll never admit who you are nor the entire true story. Swear on my life! But those were wild times, eh? LOL]

See. Always listen to someone with expensive eye wear. You do know a lot. I'll take your advice under advisement.

From the sound of things, I don't think I am as well connected as you. Mine are probably more superficial type connections or people who I haven't talk to in a while (like I knew them back when I wasn't pursuing screenwriting...and didn't foresee that I'd need them as a contact). Hence, looking to these top contests to legitimize me. I really do not know much about Nicholl. And from the looks of their loglines, I have no clue how to write their favored style of scripts. But, I've been pretty happy with the other top contests mentioned in this thread. Usually the judges and organizers are pretty darn cool.

Comment

Good Fear, Lit Entertainment, Energy Entertainment, Bellvue. I am sure others will have different ideas on this. But, those are the ones I am looking at.
                      Interesting, thanks

Comment

PM me if you want to know more about these guys.

Comment

I wouldn't mind knowing your thoughts as well. Is there any kind of group PM chat feature here?

Comment

Staunchly disagree on 2 of those.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                              Staunchly disagree on 2 of those.
                              I do as well. Wonder if they're the same two?

A group PM is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                                I do as well. Wonder if they're the same two?

A group PM is a great idea.
                                What say you, Will? Is this a thing here [group PM]? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X