No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SKYLINE is so bad...so so bad...

Originally posted by MacG View Post
    Ebert's taste in movies is fast becoming a joke....
    Did I go back in time without realizing it?

Hell, I scarcely even knew he had taste.

Comment

Ebert may not have the best taste, but his reviews are always entertaining and, sometimes, downright hilarious (esp. the reviews of films he absolutely hates).

His criticisms and explanations also typically make sense. I don't always agree with him (most of the time, I don't), but he always backs up his opinion with legitimate reasons.

Comment

I actually didn't think this was as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. I mean sure, it was really bad in every way except for the effects work, but I was entertained. I've seen a lot worse this year. I liked it better than ALICE IN WONDERLAND, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, PRINCE OF PERSIA... I could go on.

Comment

I would have liked it better if 20 minutes in, the aliens had made a worldwide broadcast and said 'People of Earth, we are here only to take your annoying hipster douchebags. Do not impede us and we will leave your world a better place'.
          "Only nothing is impossible."
          - Grant Morrison

Comment

I gotta admit...the ending is growing on me. Seriously WTF, but at least it was different.

Still hated the cast, though.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I don't think they were there for the hipster douchebags. I think they were there for the Ed Hardy/Affliction wearing douchebags. And they wanted their brains for some unfathomable reason. A subtle distinction, but an important one.

Comment

Not much mileage, I suppose.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                  Only $20m? I bet they've already made that back and more some... which makes this film a success.
                  Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                  No, it makes it profitable.
                  Grandmaster is right. It doesn't really matter whether you liked it or not, in Hollywood, profit = success. That's the name of the game. So if Skyline does make a profit, then it will be looked upon by the powers that be as a successful film - which in turn will keep the Strause Brothers employed as film makers. After theatrical, DVD/BluRay, etc, I would be surprised if this film did not make its money back, at the very least.

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
                  Worst movie I've seen all year. Inept, sloppy, and STUPID.

I had no idea a budget that big could result in such a terrible movie.
                  I caught it yesterday. The ending was kinda fvcked up and not that bad - but the rest of the entire film was paint-by-the-numbers, with bland acting and stilted dialogue. The CGI in some of the bigger shots looked ok, but more often than not, looked like it was rendered out on a single PC.

Props for getting it made outside the studio system, and making the film they wanted to make, but how this film avoided going straight-to-DVD is beyond me.

Battle: LA up next...
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Let's talk about the ending. SPOILERS OBVS What the f*ck was that eh?

So... for whatever reason, Eric Balfour's brain was special and he was able to retain his own consciousness when they put it in the alien body. (I think?) I suppose it was special because he had been exposed to the blue light so many times. But if exposure to the blue light made human brains resistant to brain harvesting... isn't the blue light plan kind of a bad idea? Or maybe Eric Balfour just has a superior brain to the rest of mankind? That's plausible.

At least the aliens had a more competent plan than the aliens from SIGNS...

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                      So... for whatever reason, Eric Balfour's brain was special and he was able to retain his own consciousness when they put it in the alien body. (I think?) I suppose it was special because he had been exposed to the blue light so many times. But if exposure to the blue light made human brains resistant to brain harvesting... isn't the blue light plan kind of a bad idea? Or maybe Eric Balfour just has a superior brain to the rest of mankind? That's plausible.
                      Ok, now that you put it that way, this movie really was dumber than I first thought.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Haha, I really want to get some insight into the development process on this one. I can totally understand how the rest of the movie turned out the way it did, how they managed to create a totally boring scenario with a bunch of unlikeable characters doing implausible things. It happens. We've all written lame scripts. But that ending, man, that ending.... How did they come up with that? Was that the stroke of irrational genius at the beginning of the process that gave the movie a raison d'etre? Was it the product of some last minute tinkering, replacing a more logical ending? Did they think it made sense? Also, did you notice that during the brain harvesting most of the brains were blue, but there was one red brain mixed in there? What's the deal with that red brain? I don't think it was the Balfour brain. I suppose if the brains were conveniently color coded like that, it would be easy to sort out which brains would assert inexplicable autonomy all of a sudden. But I'm pretty sure Balfour had a blue brain.

I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                          Also, did you notice that during the brain harvesting most of the brains were blue, but there was one red brain mixed in there? What's the deal with that red brain?
                          I thought that was just some random Republican brain that got left behind.
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                          X