Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolicited Queries?

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I sent a query letter to a manager and got an email back from the legal department of his company stating that they do not accept unsolicited requests. They only take submissions from agent or lawyers who they have working relationships with. I was aware of this policy when it came to just sending material to someone, but never had this happened when sending just a query letter. Rules are rules, but this was a new one for me.

Re: Unsolicited Queries?

Originally posted by ricther View Post
    I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I sent a query letter to a manager and got an email back from the legal department of his company stating that they do not accept unsolicited requests. They only take submissions from agent or lawyers who they have working relationships with. I was aware of this policy when it came to just sending material to someone, but never had this happened when sending just a query letter. Rules are rules, but this was a new one for me.
    Depends on the company/agency. I've seen CAA go to the trouble of sending back query letters in priority mail envelopes, unopened. Part of it is the legal aspect, I guess, but it's also a convenient way of not having to deal with the deluge of unsolicited queries without going to the trouble of evaluating them individually

Comment

I guess. It just caught me off guard. I was like whoa, I can't query anymore. That would suck.

Comment

It means they don't want unsolicited queries unless they like the idea.

I had a similar legal dept response from Fox followed minutes later by a request for the script.
        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
          It means they don't want unsolicited queries unless they like the idea.

I had a similar legal dept response from Fox followed minutes later by a request for the script.
          I've had the same thing happen too.

Comment

Don't be deterred. I'm sure I've had hundreds of these. It's standard practice at agencies (of course) and at management companies that like to think of themselves as elite. But if you send them a query tomorrow (I'd suggest a slightly different one, however!) they might ask for the script.

Comment

It's a stock blow off. Do what you want. Keep querying other people. Some people will send this, but I've had agents at CAA give me replies to e-mails while some just copy paste that to me. Keep going!

Comment

Originally posted by ricther View Post
                I guess. It just caught me off guard. I was like whoa, I can't query anymore. That would suck.
                Keep querying. All they can say is no. It's not personal.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                  Depends on the company/agency. I've seen CAA go to the trouble of sending back query letters in priority mail envelopes, unopened.
                  Was the OP talking about snail mail? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a mailed letter is far more likely not to receive a reply at all because of the inconvenience. So emailed queries are the only way to go.

And again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but 'email blasts' from services that query hundreds (thousands?) of agencies/companies for you in one shot, for a $100+ fee, are probably recognized for what they are by the recipient and probably trashed immediately. Or am I overthinking this?

[Puhhleeease no replies from said services, thank you anyway....]

Comment

Working...
                  X