Who are some young up and coming directors?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who are some young up and coming directors?

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
    I think I would save this noble impulse until you've moved forward yourself! Take anything you can get!
    True, true. I definitely want to give back and give others chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Writr View Post
      Thanks for the feedback! I've decided to focus on producers for now like everyone is suggesting.

As for a director in their 20's, I understand how older directors understand the perspective of being in their 20's because everyone is at one point. But can they understand the perspective of being in their 20's at this exact time in our nations history with a war in Afghanistan, the great recession, fear of terrorism, etc? That I'm not sure and that's why I was looking for a director who does.

Thanks everyone for the tips. You've all helped me a lot.
      I mean no offense, but I found this hilarious. I thought you were going to say something like - can an older director understand the perspective of being in their 20's at this exact time in our nations history with the.....internet technology, global warming, sexting. But then you mentioned war, recession, and terrorism. Yeah, somebody in their 30's - 80's couldn't possibly relate to that kind of stuff.

My advice - no matter who you decide to approach with your script - don't say that part out loud. Good luck!
      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

yea i'm not quite following that part either. i think Writr just went with his first gut feeling on what the best way would be to deliver his story. good thing you have this forum to bounce ideas off of and give/get advice
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
          I mean no offense, but I found this hilarious. I thought you were going to say something like - can an older director understand the perspective of being in their 20's at this exact time in our nations history with the.....internet technology, global warming, sexting. But then you mentioned war, recession, and terrorism. Yeah, somebody in their 30's - 80's couldn't possibly relate to that kind of stuff.

My advice - no matter who you decide to approach with your script - don't say that part out loud. Good luck!
          Well I kind of disagree a bit. The terrorist attacks on September 11th were unprecedented. Nothing like that has ever happened and hopefully will never happen again. Could someone in their 80's relate to someone like myself who was just a kid when it happened? In some ways absolutely. In other ways that might relate to my story, no. There's common themes in my script that everyone can relate to but there's other things that some people of certain ages just wouldn't have the same reaction and emotions attached.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though!

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
            yea i'm not quite following that part either. i think Writr just went with his first gut feeling on what the best way would be to deliver his story. good thing you have this forum to bounce ideas off of and give/get advice
            Yeah! This thread definitely helped me think things out more.

Comment

Well I kind of disagree a bit. The terrorist attacks on September 11th were unprecedented. Nothing like that has ever happened and hopefully will never happen again. Could someone in their 80's relate to someone like myself who was just a kid when it happened? In some ways absolutely. In other ways that might relate to my story, no. There's common themes in my script that everyone can relate to but there's other things that some people of certain ages just wouldn't have the same reaction and emotions attached.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though!
              Yeah, that 80 year old would be too senile to remember Pearl Harbor - the actual first time we were ever attacked on our own soil.
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Yeah, that 80 year old would be too senile to remember Pearl Harbor - the actual first time we were ever attacked on our own soil.
                It may be the first attack on our soil but it wasn't against civilians like 9/11. But lets not fight over history. I've taken your comments into consideration and appreciate it.

Comment

It may be the first attack on our soil but it wasn't against civilians like 9/11. But lets not fight over history. I've taken your comments into consideration and appreciate it.
                  If by "unprecedented," you mean to say that 9/11 wasn't exactly like any prior event, well, that's true; by your definition, every single event that happens anywhere is "unprecedented."

That being said, there have, of course, been many many many attacks on America, even on "civilians," going back to colonial Indian raids. (In fact, it started long before that -- by far the single greatest act of "terrorism" to be committed on North American soil would have to be the Native American genocide perpetrated by the Spanish.)

In terms of the "seriousness" of the event, like most things, that is technically a matter of opinion, but -- Consider that the Pearl Harbor attack was an organized assault by a modern military that was, along with its allies, thought to be capable of taking over the world. September 11th was a terrorist incident committed by some guys who live in a cave who attacked commercial jet pilots with office supplies.

Sorry to get on my high horse here -- I just get annoyed by what I (perhaps incorrectly) perceive as people trying to elevate their relatively insignificant historical moment to a thing of all-time significance. /EndRant

Comment

Yeah - I'm not even American but having spent three years living in Hawaii, I can tell you that the people who survived WW2 live it every day. Hell, first of the month every month they were still letting loose with emergency air raid sirens. (I think they still do.)

I've never experienced anything like that, so it struck me that, of all the places I've lived (including Japan, London and France), it was only really in Hawaii that history felt like it was right on top of us. (I also happened to live above Pearl Harbor for a good chunk of that time, so the Arizona Memorial offered a daily visual reminder.)

I think you need to be really careful comparing tragedies to argue that one is more tragic - or important - somehow than another. Loss is loss when you're at the wrong end of it. No comparisons would ever do either experience justice.
                    sigpic

Website
                    Tweets
                    Book

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                      If by "unprecedented," you mean to say that 9/11 wasn't exactly like any prior event, well, that's true; by your definition, every single event that happens anywhere is "unprecedented."

That being said, there have, of course, been many many many attacks on America, even on "civilians," going back to colonial Indian raids. (In fact, it started long before that -- by far the single greatest act of "terrorism" to be committed on North American soil would have to be the Native American genocide perpetrated by the Spanish.)

In terms of the "seriousness" of the event, like most things, that is technically a matter of opinion, but -- Consider that the Pearl Harbor attack was an organized assault by a modern military that was, along with its allies, thought to be capable of taking over the world. September 11th was a terrorist incident committed by some guys who live in a cave who attacked commercial jet pilots with office supplies.

Sorry to get on my high horse here -- I just get annoyed by what I (perhaps incorrectly) perceive as people trying to elevate their relatively insignificant historical moment to a thing of all-time significance. /EndRant
                      Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                      Yeah - I'm not even American but having spent three years living in Hawaii, I can tell you that the people who survived WW2 live it every day. Hell, first of the month every month they were still letting loose with emergency air raid sirens. (I think they still do.)

I've never experienced anything like that, so it struck me that, of all the places I've lived (including Japan, London and France), it was only really in Hawaii that history felt like it was right on top of us. (I also happened to live above Pearl Harbor for a good chunk of that time, so the Arizona Memorial offered a daily visual reminder.)

I think you need to be really careful comparing tragedies to argue that one is more tragic - or important - somehow than another. Loss is loss when you're at the wrong end of it. No comparisons would ever do either experience justice.

I think people are taking my posts out of context. I'm certainly not saying that 9/11 was more tragic than other acts of war and terrorism. I'm from the East Coast and was about 12 years old when 9/11 happened. Of course I view it different than others and have different emotions about it. Sorry about that.

Comment

I think people are taking my posts out of context. I'm certainly not saying that 9/11 was more tragic than other acts of war and terrorism. I'm from the East Coast and was about 12 years old when 9/11 happened. Of course I view it different than others and have different emotions about it. Sorry about that.
                        I was just teasing you a little because your comments sounded a bit naive. It's really no big deal. But, trust me, every American alive had similar emotions about 9/11, no matter how old they were. Carry on and good luck!

Comment

aw man, cshel is back peddling again like a "Black Swan" look at that (joke from another thread - sorry couldnt help it especially with that bird on your icon now)
                          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I was just teasing you a little because your comments sounded a bit naive. It's really no big deal. But, trust me, every American alive had similar emotions about 9/11, no matter how old they were. Carry on and good luck!
                            That's alright! No hard feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                              aw man, cshel is back peddling again like a "Black Swan" look at that (joke from another thread - sorry couldnt help it especially with that bird on your icon now)

BTW - that bird (and monkey) has been my avatar from day one.

Hurry up and see BLACK SWAN already!

Comment

lmao! you know, if i hadnt read that thread i would have had ZERO interest in seeing it. i am actually only interested in seeing it at this point because of the jokes. i have a feeling i will probably end up agreeing with you. i'll check it out soon though.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                                X