How important is voice in screenwriting?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How important is voice in screenwriting?

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    I think the greatest threat to voice is listening to all the bullshit rules about not using certain types of verbs or words or describing action in a certain way or what you can and can't include... If you're worried about putting in a song or ending a word with "ing" or saying "we see," you're already drowning out your voice.
    I think any read is cleaner without “we see” and better, too. Just as in sports, there are also certain boundaries for screenwriting. If a ball goes out of bounds in sports, there's a form of penalty for it. If you stray too far outside the imaginary bounds of screenwriting, there's probably going to be some form of penalty for that, too.

As ever, Story trumps quirky writing every time.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-03-2019, 04:44 PM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I think the greatest threat to voice is listening to all the bullshit rules about not using certain types of verbs or words or describing action in a certain way or what you can and can't include... If you're worried about putting in a song or ending a word with "ing" or saying "we see," you're already drowning out your voice.
      Absolutely. I remember when I tried to follow these idiot "rules." My writing became stilted and cramped. It was frustrating. (Not that my writing is much better without being stilted and cramped.) There are reasons for "ing" verbs and "we see." Why should a writer handicap him/herself by not using them?

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
      I think any read is cleaner without “we see” and better, too. Just as in sports, there are also certain boundaries for screenwriting. If a ball goes out of bounds in sports, there's a form of penalty for it. If you stray too far outside the imaginary bounds of screenwriting, there's probably going to be some form of penalty for that, too.
      How can you stray too far outside imaginary bounds? I remember once when — fresh from reading some "don't ever do these" rule book on screenwriting — I was lecturing a professional screenwriter (someone who makes his money writing screenplays) about how "we see" should never be used. I gave several examples of how you could change the "wee see" sample he gave. Guess what? Every single rewrite I gave was much longer and more convoluted than the simple "we see" he used. Nothing works better to signify what "we" — the readers — "see" that the character in the script doesn't see. It was shortly after this that I realized these "rules" I was learning were just a load of crap.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
        How can you stray too far outside imaginary bounds?
        Imagine your own boundaries; stay within them. Know No Bounds. No rules rules!

Comment

The shuttlecock about screenwriting “rules” and “gurus” gets bandied about here too often.

Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? (A: All of them.)

There's no debate. Find your “voice” and write what you will. Take a look at these two scripts.

Here's the shooting script for Alien: Alien, by Walter Hill and David Giler

Here's the screenplay for The Revenant: The Revenant, by Mark Smith and Alejandro Inarritu

Each story is written differently. The story dictates the style/voice.

Comment

I remember once when — fresh from reading some "don't ever do these" rule book on screenwriting — I was lecturing a professional screenwriter (someone who makes his money writing screenplays) about how "we see" should never be used. I gave several examples of how you could change the "wee see" sample he gave. Guess what? Every single rewrite I gave was much longer and more convoluted than the simple "we see" he used.
            We see the stable door open to reveal the Headless Horseman. (We are told we must see that in our mind's eye.)

The stable door opens to reveal the Headless Horseman. (We see that in our mind's eye.)

Use of “We see” in a story by the writer, their subconscious, and their ego interjects a momentary thought of the writer for the reader. The conscientious writer only wants the reader to be thoroughly caught up in the story.

Less is more. Less (reminders of the writer) is more (effective).
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-08-2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

The shuttlecock about screenwriting “rules” and “gurus” gets bandied about here too often.
              And yet we still have people parroting these nonsensical claptrap "rules" on a regular basis.
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

And yet we still have people parroting these nonsensical claptrap "rules" on a regular basis.
                Centos, you keep sprouting about RULES!

I never said there was a rule about using these basic, minutia elements that I mentioned and for the Gurus that do sprout these as rules, I mentioned they're wrong. I only suggested to use them with effectiveness and purpose.

What's wrong with that advice?

The industry doesn't care about how many "we sees," "to be" verbs, etc. that there are in a script. The major studios' main concern is story and marketability.

I just thought since this was a site to gain knowledge on the craft of screenwriting to make a suggestion on the use of implying these minor elements, which anyone is free to use or ignore my advice.

Comment

I think we're off on a tangent about "we see" and guru rules because it's easier to debate than another fact Jeff stated:

I thought of a possibly good illustration of voice, which seems like such a slippery thing to nail down. ...
                  Voice is indeed a slippery thing to nail down. I think voice rises from the story's theme (central dramatic question) and the writer's POV and skill in executing that theme.

Verbal gymnastics in action lines. Snappy dialogue. Even plot and character. Without theme informing those choices, and a writer's distinct point of view in exploring the theme, the story lacks voice and ends up generic.

Alas, it's far easier to discuss rules than any of the above.
                  Last edited by sc111; 05-09-2018, 07:19 AM.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I trot this out every once in awhile. It's time again.

I was a final round reader for Austin a few times. During one of these debates, I pulled up the twelve scripts I was sent. They were all by amateur writers. These scripts had all made it through multiple rounds of readers to the finals of one of the most prestigious competitions.

So not only did the scripts advance to me - disproving the "readers use violations of 'rules' to toss scripts" argument, but it disproves the "only pros can do it" argument.

And before someone says it: if you want to adhere to a bunch of made up rules, have fun. But don't believe it if someone says you shouldn't.

I'm going to quickly go through the scripts until I find something that violates a phony rule that bogus experts push:

#1 - First page, I've got a POV shot, a CLOSE ON, a PAN LEFT and two INSERTs.

#2 - First page, INSERT shot.

#3 - First few pages, AC/DC and Queen song called out by name.

#4 - First page, voice over and flashback.

#5 - Ten pages in, don't see any.

#6 - First page, unfilmable, internal (but really good) description to set up character. Page 4, we've got a CLOSE IN and a WE SEE.

#7 - Opens with multiple pages of flashback voice over.

#8 - First page, Ramones song.

#9 - First page, "WE SLOWLY TRACK"

#10 - Don't see any.

#11 - First scene, Mariah Carey song playing and sung by characters.

#12 - Page zero - three quotes! First page, CLOSE ON.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                      Centos, you keep sprouting about RULES!

I never said there was a rule about using these basic, minutia elements that I mentioned and for the Gurus that do sprout these as rules, I mentioned they're wrong. I only suggested to use them with effectiveness and purpose.

What's wrong with that advice?
                      I wasn't responding to your post. I was responding to a single line in TigerFang's post. I didn't see anything objectionable in what you wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                        I think we're off on a tangent about "we see" and guru rules because it's easier to debate than another fact Jeff stated:
                        That's because these rules tend to stymie the development of a writer's voice. If people follow these "rules" closely, their writing turns into soulless mush.

Comment

I think any read is cleaner without "we see- and better, too. Just as in sports, there are also certain boundaries for screenwriting. If a ball goes out of bounds in sports, there's a form of penalty for it. If you stray too far outside the imaginary bounds of screenwriting, there's probably going to be some form of penalty for that, too.
                          No. No. No. No. No.

This is nonsense that is not founded in reality. At all.
                          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Each story is written differently. The story dictates the style/voice.
                            The writer dictates the style/voice. Walter Hill, Shane Black et al write the same regardless of the material they're working on.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

We see the stable door open to reveal the Headless Horseman. (We are told we must see that in our mind's eye.)

The stable door opens to reveal the Headless Horseman. (We see that in our mind's eye.)

Use of “We see” in a story by the writer, their subconscious, and their ego interjects a momentary thought of the writer for the reader. The conscientious writer only wants the reader to be thoroughly caught up in the story.

Less is more. Less (reminders of the writer) is more (effective).
                              No. No. No. No. No.

1) Don't speak for what is interjected in the minds of other people.

2) The examples you cited are not true examples. No half-decent writer would use 'we see' in the ways you have illustrated.

3) 'We see', like any other aspect that you and the gurus harp on about, are vaid and indeed perfect when used correctly.

Your examples are poor uses of 'we see' - which can be applied to anything, even the word 'and': 'and then Jake runs down the hall and sees a cop heading his way and ducks into an alcove and whips out his phone and sends a text message to his mum and then....'

4) Pros like Red, Black, Hill, Kaufman, Diablo drip their voice from every line. You are constantly cognisant that you're reading their work. And it is glorious. It's what elevates a good writer from the surrounding dross. Your examples are annoying to readers because they are clumsy, unnecessary, talentless, voiceless and styleless. It has nothing to do with the use of 'we see' and 'ing' and everything to do with poor writing skill.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

That's because these rules tend to stymie the development of a writer's voice. If people follow these "rules" closely, their writing turns into soulless mush.
                                True. But merely ignoring the guru rules doesn't guarantee a script will have voice.
                                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                                X