Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personal Assistant

dp - this was just a job. it had nothing to do with her scripts or screenwriting.

<<<the NikeeGoddess just shakes her head>>>

you've just got to get a firmer grasp of the english language!

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
      so the exec producer liked you - go with it. call him and get a better job. have you seen the list of credits at the end of a movie? there are so many, and many for first timers too. decide what area you want to work with and tell the producer. find a list of production ad crew jobs (sound, grips, lighting, bestboys, script* etc...) with descriptions so you know who does what.
      Those are all jobs that require certain skills and go to people who have been trained to do them. If proudwolf has these skills than I doubt she would be interviewing to be a PA. It doesn't matter how much the executive producer likes you; if you don't know the difference between a kino flo and a 2k blondie (which is not a prostitute), you ain't gonna work in lighting.

Honestly, her best bet is working as a locations PA, but I don't think that is a job for her. If she is opposed to fetching water, how will she feel about emptying garbage bins and cleaning up lunch cover after everybody has finished spilling coffee all over the tables?

Proudwolf, don't let one bad apple put you off. If you think you can be a locations PA, try again when the next production comes. If you want a different job that is less demeaning, figure out what you want to do and get some training in that field. I just hope you're not trying to be a PA to sell a script as the second you start to pitch on-set you will be fired. It's considered unprofessional and EVERYBODY on-set has a script they want to sell.

It really all comes down to what you are trying to achieve. Being a PA is a great position for young, inexperienced directors who want to learn how things are done, but you have to be willing to be somebody's bitch for a couple months. Looking at your previous posts, I would say this ISN'T the job for you.

Just my $0.02...

Comment

ok - not location PA in this particular case but maybe a PA for the director, AD, on of thes producers, or script supervisor. but knowing what all those crew members do is not a bad thing to know either.

Comment

i hate to be a nitpicker, but i'm completely confused about some of the more important details of this anecdote. this is in the writing for tv forum, so it must have something to do with tv, but the locations manager works for a feature prodco? was the job on a feature? as the assistant to the exec prod or the actress? are you a tv writer or a feature writer? how is working for an actress on a feature supposed to help you get a job in tv writing? i know the point of your story is that some guy wanted sexual favors in exchange for advancement and the details don't really matter, but it might help, in general, to be a little clearer in your writing. paint a picture with words, and make sure the picture is in focus.

someone suggested that you look for jobs as the assistant to directors or location managers, but if you're a writer, that's a bad idea. if you're a tv writer, you want to be in the writers' room. period. not on the set with the director. not with the actors.

you start as a production assistant, get promoted to personal assistant to the executive producer or writers' production assistant, then writers' assistant. if they offer you a job as set production assistant, you say no, i want to be in the writers' room, not on the set. when you're the writer's assistant, in the room, you listen and learn and wait for them to invite you to pitch. the writers will probably hit on you too. it happens. just keep it polite and professional and be very clear that you're not interested.

Comment

but if you're a writer, that's a bad idea. if you're a tv writer, you want to be in the writers' room. period. not on the set with the director. not with the actors.
            Yes and no. If there's a spot available in the writers room, by all means, take it. Usually a show will have a writers assistant and a script coordinator. Two spots and a lot of competition for those spots.

I worked on a show where the previous season's key set PA became next season's writers asssistant. She worked hard, did a bang up job, and the AD's and UPM were happy to recommend her when she wanted to move into that job. Everyone expects PA's to want to move up, and being known as hard working, reliable, with good people skills counts for more than any specific job category.

I worked on another show where the family friend of one the supporting cast got her first job as an office PA, and then became the showrunners assistant. I don't know if they've offered her a script yet, but I expect they will.

A locations PA gig is actually a good way to meet people and get your foot in the door.
            If you really like it you can have the rights
            It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

To clarify, I posted this on the TV Writers forum because I am a tv writer. I started my posts on this forum and by taking the advice from other posts in this forum, I went out to find a PA job and stumbled upon a personal assistant gig. So, that's why I posted it here.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, declaring, WOW what a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by proudwolf View Post
                I am not the kind of person to fetch someone's Evian
                Do you know what PA and personal assistant does? 'Cause I don't think you do.

Comment

Working...
                X