Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knowing ... by our own Unca Leo

i didn't think it was cliche at all, much less "the mother of".

in fact, i think it was one of the most daring and ballsy endings i've ever experienced second only to "the mist" (which still leaves me awed every time i think of it).

Comment

I read Richard Kelly's draft. Man is that guy a horrible writer. A whole lot of nonsense flying around - absolutely no substance. Couldn't make it past page 20 it was so bad.
      Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arroway View Post
        i didn't think it was cliche at all, much less "the mother of".

in fact, i think it was one of the most daring and ballsy endings i've ever experienced second only to "the mist" (which still leaves me awed every time i think of it).
        Well, there's that then... I thought that Darabont's ending for The Mist was too punk (in no good way) for my taste. Nihilism for nothing more than shock value is boring. Earn it, and I'm on board.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

i don't understand you. the whole point, the whole mood was one of bravery clashing with apocalyptic hopelessness. how was it not earned? what about it wasn't rooted within the preceding story or the general trajectory of the film?

Comment

ok so who's got a link to the script?

Originally Posted by Ralphy W
            It was originally an Unca Leo (aka Ryne Pearson) spec, if I'm not mistaken.
            Yes, it was.
            don't people have user names so others don't know who they are? and can't stalk them? lol!
            not cool, dood. and when i become rich and famous... well, you know... give me my 15 minutes on the board... PLEASE!
            but don't tell anyone i asked you to do it.

Comment

Unca Leo has never been shy about his identity. At least, not that I'm aware of. In fact, he's talked about KNOWING on this board.

If he has a problem with my post, he can PM me about it. We've known each other (though have drifted apart) for close to nine years. (I'm assuming he recognizes the DD'er behind this username.)

/shrugs
              "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Also, the title of the thread sort of gives away his identity.
                "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

We all know who Uncle Leo is, as you've noticed, we call him Uncle Leo and not by his real name. Uncle Leo is the one who told us the story of how his first book was rejected like a hundred times and how it finally sold and how things got rolling for him. He's never been shy about who he is.

So, cool for Uncle Leo on this latest project.

Comment

This is off subject, but since people have been brining up KNOWING's ending and, by extension, THE MIST's, would someone mind spoiling the latter's ending?

I love Darabont but thought that movie was a disaster thru n' thru. So obviously I didn't make it to the credits. The ending was...?

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                      This is off subject, but since people have been brining up KNOWING's ending and, by extension, THE MIST's, would someone mind spoiling the latter's ending?

I love Darabont but thought that movie was a disaster thru n' thru. So obviously I didn't make it to the credits. The ending was...?

MIST SPOILERS BELOW:

Mass suicide inside the jeep. Everyone bites a bullet except for the protagonist. He leaves the jeep so one of those monsters could eat him and then out of nowhere a bunch of military, tanks, etc. come through the fog along with the people who disappeared earlier. He screams and curses the sky. The end.

Comment

So yeah, my thoughts on Knowing. Richard Kelly's retarded.

More thoughts on Knowing. Every time I see the trailer I'm reminded of that movie with Bruce Willis and the kid that came out a decade ago: Mercury Effect. Remember that movie?

Thoughts on The Mist - I was one of those rare people that liked The Mist. That movie did some things that no other movie would even dare try. I love bunch of on-edge people contained in one location stories. I thought the ending was both tragic and hilarious.

Comment

Thanks for THE MIST spoilers. Glad I skipped it.

Bruce Willis title was actually MERCURY RISING.

Comment

Mercury Rising, which was based on a novel written by UncaLeo.
                            The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

No way. Are you kidding? He wrote the book that inspired Mecury Rising? I was going to say that was the mother of all coincidences that I brought it up, but I guess it makes sense. The movies are similar - which is why Ryne probably got the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Arroway View Post
                                i don't understand you. the whole point, the whole mood was one of bravery clashing with apocalyptic hopelessness. how was it not earned? what about it wasn't rooted within the preceding story or the general trajectory of the film?
                                Personally, I felt like it was a cheap shot. Not because I was shocked, but because it felt too heavy-handed and manipulative. More a "Gotcha!" than a "Gotcha thinking?"*

Mostly because the ending felt shoehorned on from a different movie, a different era. While the majority played like a Cold War-era giant bug movie, the coda shifted gears too raggedly. Seemed like Darabont betrayed the tone of what he had been working on, to try to emulate the suckerpunch of the ending of the original Night of the Living Dead. Trying to reproduce how that meta-bullet-between-the-eyes must have felt to audiences expecting the traditional hero's reward kiss that had reassuringly tied up horror films up 'til then.

Of course, the ending lost me right when the Dead Can Dance track started playing. Too much of a tonal shift, both literally and figuratively.

Mostly I resented Darabont's choice because it seemed more a choice made to disturb the audience, rather than maintain integrity of the narrative.

*I'll give it this, though... I've given that ending more thought than most films I've seen. Even found a way to rationalize it so that it works... but I'm also pretty sure that my rationalization isn't what Darabont had in mind.
                                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X