Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Like It Hot: Classic

If you think this film's over-rated, you should get punched in the face.

After witnessing the St. Valentine Massacre, two smooth musicians (Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon) have to avoid the Chicago mob by joining a all-female band by being in drag. However, while in Miami, the two guys have love spats with the band's torch song singer (an angelic Marilyn Monroe, despite her off-screen anxieties) and a goofy rich codger (Joe E. Brown).

Directed by Billy Wilder. Co-written by Wilder and Izzy Diamond. Also stars George Raft as gangster "Spats" Columbo (what a name!), Pat O'Brien as a hardboiled cop and Nehemiah Persoff as Little Bonaparte, a cheerful, yet strict mob boss with a hearing aid (Love that guy!!!)

Don't be shocked if "Zowie" enters your vocabulary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053291
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Some Like It Hot: Classic

Yes. Timelessly funny.

Also, I'd vote for best closing line in history of films.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
      Yes. Timelessly funny.

Good call.

I've seen this movie more times than I can count. Typically, it's my go to date movie when I bring a lucky lady home with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
        If you think this film's over-rated, you should get punched in the face.
        Well, looks like I need a punch to the face.

Wasn't my cup of tea. In fact, I found it painful to sit through.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
          Don't be shocked if "Zowie" enters your vocabulary.
          I was kicking in a bar once and this amazing woman walked in. I looked up and exhaled "Zowie!" as she shouldered up next to me. She smiled and replied, "I love that movie."

Unfortunately, her boyfriend was with her.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
            Yes. Timelessly funny.

I second that vote.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Just a random interesting tid bit about the script of Some Like It Hot I came across the other day:

ON THE STORY STRUCTURE OF SOME LIKE IT HOT

"Well, the first act I would think is them getting on the train with the girls. Right? They get away from Chicago; I think that's enough. Then the second-act curtain is the gangsters have a convention at the hotel in Florida. That's suspense, right? Actually, it's four acts. The third at is the guys trying to keep in disguise and they're hiding under the table. Then the fourth act is the chase. It needs that kind of architectural structure, which is completely forgotten once you see the movie. We have to put those pillars in or that beautiful ceiling is going to come crashing down. Another thing, maybe for you guys who are structuring and writing pictures, the most important invention in Some Like It Hot was to make the fact of the two male musicians disguising themselves as women a question of life or death. If you don't have death--if you have not seen the St. Valentine's Day murder at the beginning and know that those are ruthless guys who want to bump them off--then these two guys who have hopped into women's clothes could just take their wigs off and say, 'Look, I'm a guy.'"r
              -Billy Wilder

So there it is from the horses mouth, he wrote Some Like It Hot with a four act structure in mind. It's refreshing to see that back when people weren't so brainwashed with these set in stone rules about story telling and story structure.

I bet those people who insist that every good story has to be told using a three act structure would insist that Some Like It Hot really follows a three act structure even though the writer himself says it doesn't.

Comment

here's another tidbit.
                marilyn monroe (as well as liz taylor) was a benchmark for identifying gay men. if you didn't want either of these women (in the movie) then you were gay.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  here's another tidbit.
                  marilyn monroe (as well as liz taylor) was a benchmark for identifying gay men. if you didn't want either of these women (in the movie) then you were gay.
                  I don't buy that. But then, after being exposed to One Million Years BC at age five, this is the actress that hardwired my ideal (although today the proto UGG boots would be a major turn-off). After Raquel, Marilyn just came across as a frowzy dingbat and Taylor a brittlely cold enigma.
                  "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

i'm not talking about the audience. i'm talking about the men in their movies.

Comment

Great movie and a great example of high concept comedy before high concept was in film lexicon.
                      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by Archduke View Post
                        I bet those people who insist that every good story has to be told using a three act structure would insist that Some Like It Hot really follows a three act structure even though the writer himself says it doesn't.
                        And people who'd argue that are not Billy Wilder and never will be.

But now this thread makes me want to watch my favorite Wilder movie, The Aparment, for the eighth or ninth time. (I'd rewatch Sunset Blvd. but that flick gives me the willies something bad.)

Comment

Working...
                        X