No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Orville

Hi everyone,
    Just checking in to see if anyone else has been watching this new Seth Macfarlane series.

Personally, I like it. I was worried at first that it was going to be a silly comedy with long running crass jokes. But I am pleasantly surprised at how good it actually is.

Some reviewers are trying too hard to compare it to star trek:tng, and I can say it does have many homages, but if you look at it as just a good sci-fi show about some people on a space journey and not compare it to trek, you may just like it.

The story lines are pretty good and they do touch on some serious (and sometimes uncomfortable) subjects. It is also nice how they look at both sides of the subject from different points of views.

Anyone else here seen any episodes? If so what is the consensus?

Oh yeah..... I love the ship's exterior design.

Re: The Orville

I saw 2 episodes and like it... sort of. Let me explain. My sister-in-law told me it was the funniest show and it's right up my alley. She said it was hysterical. Since Seth does Family Guy & American Dad, I thought it would be a comedy. I saw it and didn't laugh once. Not a chuckle. Because it's not really a comedy. It's a lite but clever take of Star Trek. I did not mind it. Yes, the sets are beautiful.

What it actually made me do is question my perception of my sister-in-law because she said it's hysterical. Every cutesy moment I kept reflecting "is that what she thinks is wildly funny?" And I am not big into Sci-Fi and yet it was supposed to be up my alley. What does she think of me really? Maybe if this emotional baggage wasn't there I would have liked it more You ever have someone tell you a show is up your alley and you watch it confused because it's not even close to your tastes? I haven't even seen any episode of anything Star Trek related since the original (love Shatner/Kirk, but she doesn't know that).

Also as a side note, Seth Mcfarlane addresses in an interview I read the confusion from fans that it wasn't a straight up comedy and he explained he loved 90's Sci-Fi shows so this is a take on it. It seems to be doing well. If you like Sci-Fi it hits the spot I think.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
      I saw 2 episodes and like it... sort of. Since Seth does Family Guy & American Dad, I thought it would be a comedy.

Also as a side note, Seth Mcfarlane addresses in an interview I read the confusion from fans that it wasn't a straight up comedy and he explained he loved 90's Sci-Fi shows so this is a take on it. It seems to be doing well. If you like Sci-Fi it hits the spot I think.

Sadly many thought it was going to be a comedic show as well because of mcfarlane's repertoire. But he is really into sci-fi and sciencey stuff. He re-did cosmos not too long ago with neil degrasse tyson because he loved the original with carl sagan.

If you go into orville with the sci-fi brain you should like it, but with the comedy brain not so much.

Comment

I very much enjoyed The Orville. It's funny, quirky, and a little different.

If anything, it reminds me of Star Trek Next Gen. Some of the episodes seem rather similar, but it's still a good show.

I watched the first episode of the new Star Trek show, and the Orville is much, much better in my opinion.
        I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by LithodoraGamgee View Post
          I watched the first episode of the new Star Trek show, and the Orville is much, much better in my opinion.
          I completely concur. One episode of Orville is better than all the episodes of the new Star Trek.

I just got done watching the first 8 eps of the new trek and I gotta say I was not impressed. I am a trekkie from way back and even some of the "not good" eps of the older treks were phenom compared to this new trek.

The new klingons look like fish people, the premise of a huge tardigrade with a universal map in its head using mushroom spores to make the ship jump space is very silly, and the actors are subpar.

Very disappointed in the new trek. But Orville rocks!

Comment

Lifelong Trek fan here. I dunno if that's important but I mention it anyway.

I've only watched the first 3 eps of The Orville and I'm ready to call it a day, shallow cartoon characters, no believable stakes, and some really lousy jokes (whether it's meant to be comedy or not... really lousy jokes). I appreciate SM's enthusiasm but this isn't dinging my bell.

I don't believe Trek Discovery is without flaws, but the cast are trying their best and I sense this and think it's notches above The Orville as a result.

Shrug, people got opinions.

Comment

I'm a Star Trek fan as well. I will say that Next Gen is still my favorite. As for acting, you can almost never go wrong with Michelle Yeoh. She's been doing this action stuff for forty years or so. Then again, she shouldn't have to carry it either.

I have a few friends who have said that they really don't like The Orville much. First of all, it's not a comedy. I think there were unmet expectations there. Second of all, it is pretty corny. Not as crass as Seth's other stuff, but corny, nonetheless.

I think SM brand has been so well established that he's going to have a hard time breaking away from it. Still, he's going to try. And good for him, haha.
              I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Working...
              X