Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Too many emails

Look, writing is hard. Trying to get reads is hard. Trying to get traction even when you are getting reads is hard. The business is fickle. Stressful. We all know this.

Arguing about movies or scripts is one thing, but usually when someone posts on a message board for advice from complete strangers, they welcome all the responses, even the ones they don't agree with. Then they sort through the information offered, and see what makes the most sense for them to do, according to their needs.

What they don't do, is attack someone for having a different opinion.

Goldmund was offering his opinion -- in fact he repeatedly said, "I think." He didn't say you had to listen. He didn't say you had to do what he said.

Chill out, dude. Who is going to want to answer you next time, if this is your response?

Comment

Everything "figment" said +

I tend to give a "little" more weight to a response written by someone who makes a living writing screenplays.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        What they don't do, is attack someone for having a different opinion.
        An opinion of what - he answered to what?

This is the only forum I know of that does such things.

You ask a question, and suddenly someone pops in with something that has absolutely, absolutely nothing to do with your question.

Where did you learn to behave this way? It's like watching blind lemmings who search for a way out of the black hole.

On every forum the rules are the same:

- You see a question - if you know an answer or a possible solution, you answer it. If not, leave it, move to the next one.

But here, here some behave like gods fallen from Mars. And when you confront them with facts, not fiction, then you're the idiot.

Originally posted by figment View Post
        Goldmund was offering his opinion
        An opinion of what? He didn't answer my question with a single word. Instead, he scribbled stuff that is outdated and has nothing to do with what I asked - and the worst is, with such approach he misleads others who visit this forum.

These people come here because they trust you to know more then they do. They come for the right advice, and some of it is outdated as the Bible.

Answer my question, and I'll say thank you as I did to Cranyon.

Is that so hard?

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
          I tend to give a "little" more weight to a response written by someone who makes a living writing screenplays.
          That's why I visit this forum. To get answers to my questions, not ideas of something that might or might not be correct a decade or more back and has nothing to do with what I asked in my post.

Comment

I'm sorry for disrupting your thread. Please go ahead and keep sending out your emails. I sincerely wish you success in doubling or, who knows?, maybe even tripling their number one day.

Comment

Probably I should stay out of this but I LITERALLY JUST NOW came to Done Deal to vent about the realization that it's just fundamentally better to get together and make movies with your friends/contacts/people you know.

It's one of those things you read and read and read and then one day you just finally internalize it -- kinda like learning 3 act structure or dialogue or something. You finally get it.

Today I got a notification that someone had read or downloaded something beyond just the logline on Inktip.

So I looked to see who it was.
              And it was a company I've never heard of.
              That's okay. So I look the person up. And everything on their website says "we wouldn't be into your movie idea" but they did check it out. So fine.

So I look up the guy on IMDB and I have as much or more experience in filmmaking as he does.

And a lot of my friends have as much or more experience in filmmaking - maybe with better connections - than he does.

This isn't to dis Inktip, or this person/company. I got my first sale on Inktip. I've bolstered my confidence on Inktip. But at the end of the day, Inktip costs money for something that maybe I don't need at the moment.

The point is, would you rather meet your soul mate from an online dating service you paid for or from the person who sat next to you in your English class?

My reaction to this person was: "Hmmm. I don't know him."

That's what the people you query are thinking when they get your letter.

Now, maybe your query letter is really great and through your quirky choice of words or your well-researched/targeted letter you get through to the person and they think "This person is someone I wanna work with." Great. Sometimes that happens.

But it's an awful lot of emails when you've got your two friends you could get together with tomorrow and start making it happen.

And if you don't have those kinds of friends, you might find it more worth your time to go to film festivals, open screenings, writers workshops (but film festivals are where the FILM *MAKERS* go... you don't really need to meet more writers) be an extra, work as a PA on anything --- a local doc, something for your local PBS or cable access. Meet film people and meet your tribe and you might find it easier than going on a message board to talk about emails.

And some contests can make a difference -- coverage from one contest led me to a successful email query which led met to a producer and actor interested and yadda yadda. It didn't work out. But now I have more contacts. So.

Me? When I query, I research who I think would be into the script. Then I research what they've done, what they're doing in the future, who they've worked with, actors that might be useful on the project and basically then target those specific people. And heck, who knows, after a while they could become the friends you get together with to make your movie.

Good luck.
              Calm down.
              It takes a long time.
              Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                I'm sorry for disrupting your thread.
                You didn't disrupt my thread; you simply didn't answer the question's that I've asked. That's what pissed me off.

Feel free to disrupt any of my threads, but please, answer my question if you do it.

As I wrote, I didn't see this sort of behavior on any other forum. That's why I do my best to stay away from Donedeal as much as I can and post a question only when I use/check all other possible ways to find an answer.

That's why I didn't post my question of what the heck is a "sell representative" in a screenplay deal.
                Something a producer offered me for one of my latest scripts.

He claims to have contacts to Fox, Sony, Netflix, wants to ship my piece to their directors and star in its leading role. He explained to me what it is and who knows, maybe he agrees to my suggestions to his contract.

Another producer asked me how much would I charge for doctoring her script after she read my comedy. That scared the living hell outta me. It is one if someone asks me to finish their piece, but to go through the entire thing... nope, not my thing.

And yes, they all come from blind emails - cold queries, including two more producers who got interested in the same piece as the possible "Sell representative."

Comment

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
                  You didn't disrupt my thread; you simply didn't answer the question's that I've asked. That's what pissed me off.
                  It's not what you "asked", it's where you "asked" it.

If you wanted drones to "simply" answer your question about how to force-feed more emails through an email server, you probably would have had better luck asking it on a group of people who specialize in sending spam. Although, I doubt if everyone on such a group would "simply" answer your question, either.

People on newsgroups offer up opinions, suggestions, recommendations and criticism -- it's the nature of the beast. I don't know that there's any newsgroup/forum that's exists to "simply answer your question".

When you ask a question about the most effective way of spamming a query letter, on a screenwriting forum and you get two quick answers from two people who make their money writing screenplays -- telling you that's not a great idea -- graciously accept that they took the time to answer, consider their advice (or not) and move on.

Getting pissy with them, will only hurt you if you do want advice in the future, and not "simply an answer to a question".

Comment

It's not what you "asked", it's where you "asked" it.
                    Thank you for confirming the opinion of all the people that have warned me from this forum and its hypocrisy - writers who have left it years ago confronted with the same type of bullshit I had to deal in the past.

Since I don't like being lectured by people who do not even take time to read my post, here some explanations for you and all your "friends:"

When you ask a question about the most effective way of spamming a query letter
                    Do you even know what spamming is/means?

It doesn't seem so. Not according to the pros who deal with it on a professional basis.

Read it - learn it and maybe, just maybe next time you will think twice before you post such nonsense:

https://www.spamhaus.org/consumer/definition/

Are we clear now? Yes, I send a heck of a lot of emails, but I never send them as bulk emails. So I don't spam.

Another beauty of yours:

on a screenwriting forum and you get two quick answers from two people who make their money writing screenplays
                    And through which wonder are we supposed to know who these "experts" are?

They all hide behind nicknames, and as far one knows they could all be fired Santa Clauses that lost their job after Toysrus dropped dead.

The fact - the hideous truth is, this forum gathers some writers that have screenplay advice worth gold. And at the same time, it gathers an assemblage of people who got stuck in the past with their "business" advices.

"Always target specific companies with your work" Bullshit of a lifetime.

Have you any idea how many options - sales - careers you have destroyed in the past years with this nonsense other unexperienced writers read here?

Have you any regret for all the destroyed hopes of young writers who come here for some valuable advice?

Not according to your writing and the way you swarmed me when I dared to criticize your approach.

Here's another of your outdated advice:

"Put only one project in your email query."

Which idiot came up with this one?

It might be okay for someone who has only 1-3 scripts, but if you have 5, 10 or more it's a total waste of time.

I did it, for a year, and got nowhere with it. So a good month back I did what I saw somewhere else.

I put a comedy and a hardcore thriller into the same email and fired them out daily.

The result was... well, there was really none. Producers probably laughed their asses off when they saw what I sent them - unless...

I'm lying - They loved it!

I'm not ****ing kidding you. 9 outta 10 requested both scripts!

And my numbers comparing to previous email campaigns did not change, except, I now sent two instead of one pdf to their companies.

So again, you might have valuable advice when it comes to screenplay technique and other things related to a screenplay.

But when it comes to emailing and other things you need to wake up. You are a decade behind - outdated - out of touch with reality.

Unless - unless you're doing this intentionally, to get rid of poor young writers who come here for some advice.

Then my friend, then you are doing a hell of a work -
                    - and damage.

Comment

Originally Posted by StoryWriter
                      on a screenwriting forum and you get two quick answers from two people who make their money writing screenplays
                      And through which wonder are we supposed to know who these "experts" are?
                      Seriously? You have no idea who the pros are on this forum? (Some of them are "hiding" in plain sight.) You just have to open your eyes.

Comment

Have you any regret for all the destroyed hopes of young writers who come here for some valuable advice?
                        No regrets at all. In fact I keep track of each "destroyed hope" -- each and every one! 24,263,786 so far. Haven't you noticed that almost no one submits screenplays anymore? The contests have all dried up? Scripts are no longer pitched? No one is left on Black List?

I did that.

Give the pros a few decades to completely die off and for me to make sure I've destroyed the hope of every newbie -- when I'm 150, or so, and Hollywood is desperate for a screenplay...

...THAT'S WHEN I'LL SWOOP IN!!!

Gawd, they'll be eating out of my hand and I'll be able demand any price I want. I'll be KING -- they'll f*cken worship me!

Well that's my goal anyway -- we all need one.

Now I should write a screenplay. It doesn't have to be particularly good.

I mean -- what are they gonna f*cken do -- not buy it? I don't think so!

Comment

Splonik,

You've disparaged my forums and this community in three different posts in this one single thread. There are many things I could have noted earlier in terms of countering certain comments made within this thread, yet I held off.

But I will simply have to note this now, though. If you or anyone doesn't like posting here, then please go post somewhere else. Seriously. I've worked extremely hard for a long time now trying to provide a good resource for script writers the world over. If my efforts aren't for you, that's fine; but please don't bad mouth our forums and/or our community. It's not polite.

Thanks.
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I've had good experiences with the forum and it's proven to be a good resource for me. To those who have helped me, I appreciate it. To those who haven't yet, I look forward to that interaction.

I try to help as an amateur as well, in ways I think I can.

I'm sorry I can't help Splonik with your question, etc. but I wish you luck.
                            You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

As an actual answer to the OP I use GMASS an extension added to GMAIL. I pay 8-9 bucks a month and it lets me send 500 emails per day with each email arriving at the intended person as if that email were sent individually. I craft loglines that are producer or agent/manager specific and send in batches.

I have around 2500 contacts so I can hit them all in a week with this and it takes me the same amount of time as sending 5 emails. I imported all of my email addresses into gmail and can select 250 at a time into the email TO: field.

In addition you can put notes on responses from a contact in their records and star them as previous reads etc for easy sorting. Anyone who has read material from me before gets a customized email referencing the previous material and my appreciation for their prior consideration.

All in all it works very well, and no one has ever accused me of spamming them or including them in a batch email etc...

To address the folks who say only send it to a narrow targeted group you are missing something. I can't tell you how many times I get a response that says, "not our cup of tea, but what else have you got?", kind of thing. The number of exchanges that have begun this way for me is huge. Had I narrowed the field I would never have gotten the other requests for other material I have. The best response I can get, besides sure send it over, is the what else have you got question. It opens so many avenues.

So there is my contribution to the thread. I wish I would have posted this originally so everyone could have skipped being so snarky.

Good luck to all.
                              Eric
                              www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

As for Goldmund's post and follow up. You are just completely wrong and I will address it below.

"I don't think cold querying opened doors to anyone."

I don't live in LA but have multiple options and have received coverage internally at WME and had a project considered there that literally went across the desk of Mark Itkin, yeh that Mark Itkin, none of which would have occured if not for cold querying via email blasts. I am developing another script with a guy at Skybound who I met via cold querying. Virtually everything I have accomplished so far has come from cold emails and then following up on those leads with phone calls etc.... It opens doors.

"You boast about some success, optioned scripts, contacts with producers, and yet here you are, asking about daily limits on emails you have to send out day after day."

So because someone asks about email limitations you have to immediately besmirch their whole career? #tryingtodragpeopledownsucks

"I don't think one can anywhere meaningful that way. Correct me if I'm wrong, people."

Again this is so wrong, but I'm guessing you don't have an address book
                                2500 industry contacts you can send emails to either. It takes a ton of work and has huge payoffs.

"I think the secret to "breaking in" is the few reputable contests"

According to John August and Craig Mazin, if it ain't Nichols or Austin it's garbage and a rip off. Their own words. So "few" might be an overstatement. If you wait to win the Nichols or pay any other contest you are kidding yourself.

"and/or actually working with people on your level who are actually doing something, writing for films who get produced even if those are amateur youtube fare with zero budget.

If you found some young filmmakers in your country who make films just for passion and together you made a kick-ass short or cheap feature, it would help you tons more than blasting american prodcos with emails. That's what I believe.

The road to writing for film sometimes starts with, you know, writing for film."

Admit that you have never bulk emailed and you had little or no success when you cold queried and I may be able to understand your perspective. Because it has to be one or the other. You assume you know his level of writing, but you don't.

Have you produced several projects with amateur directors using your material?
                                Eric
                                www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Working...
                                X