No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a literary agent for a non-fiction manuscript

Originally posted by raisedbyacentaur View Post
    I feel those "vibes" again. Very "culty" vibes that never defend, but always attack.
    Well, if you suffer from chronic feelings of culty vibes attacking you, then you have my sympathies. I didn't realise you're ill.

But seriously, after your misquoting and libellous statements, I'm not surprised that you've resorted to ad hominem fallacies, rather than address what has been posted. With your integrity, I cannot understand why some lucky agent hasn't snapped you up already.
    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by DayJobWriter View Post
      You might want to self-publish and self-promote if you want to avoid adhering to the list of requirements for playing in the sandbox as I'll be the first to admit, it's a lot of work.
      Self-publishing is always an option, but even that has gotten much more competitive (for a quality product). You can pay to have books made and printed up, but at some point you have to come to grips with how you're going to promote and sell them to make your money back or possibly profit.

Setting aside the incoherence of the OP's ideas (if you can't even present this stuff intelligibly here, how can you get to the next step?), if someone is really passionate about supernatural ideas you can (as mentioned above) blog about them, give talks or classes, and make other efforts to build a platform. Most authors who self-publish with serious goals have some kind of platform they can use either to promote themselves or sell the books.

But all I get from this is that OP has some bizarre, half-baked theories and other people are supposed to penetrate through the veil and discover that the illusory ideas are a goldmine, even if there's nothing there.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to target your search. Different publishers are looking for very different things.

You should definitely calculate your Baez Score and include the result in your query letter to make sure your manuscript gets in the right hands.

Comment

Everybody: this guy's a troll. He's offering "sexual expertise" in exchange for, I don't know, some kind of contact with a book agent.

The joke's on all us suckers who took the time out of our day to give him advice.

Thread closed?

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
            I'll leave it at this:

I believe you are assuming an implied super natural aspect(s) to my 'experience', when there is not one. Nor does it in any way involve religion, ghosts, fairies, aliens nor anything else intangible.

Instead, it involves facts: The body attacking bacteria and failing [which we can witness under a microscope]. Organs shutting down [which we can witness on surgical room monitors].

The most famous line in all battle films: "Go on without it me"

As opposed to: "Save me!"

There will come a time when you know you are dying, there will be no question in your mind. During those moments you will become the most honest 'you' you'll ever meet [you have not met that person yet]. Listen, don't take my word for it. You'll be there one day.

Philosophy is not fraudulent simply because science can't prove, empirically, that it exists. And yet, that will be the last friend you will meet on your way out.

Here's how your argument hits the brick wall: Music has never been proven, empirically, to have ANY value to the human race. We don't know what it is. And yet

See you in the next screenwriting thread. Peace...
            I made no such assumption, and my comments to you show no indication of one. You made it perfectly clear that you don't regard your experience as a supernatural one, or one that involves any mad sh!t.

However, your experience doesn't only involve facts. Your account of it (data for it) is dependent upon a fallible memory of it. And you have yet to establish any causal link between being near death and an experience that can only occur at such times. And until there is evidence for such a link, there is no such thing as an NDE as a discrete phenomenon.

You keep making a hell of a lot of presumptions about how I will face my death. For all you know I may have gladly attempted suicide several times. (Twice in this thread.)

I never suggested that philosophy is fraudulent.

How does my argument 'hit a brick wall'. The OP claims to have made a discovery, and my consistent argument has been that a discovery requires empirical proof.

Of course there are unknowns and unknowables, but what has the uncertainty of music got to do with this thread? Besides, the neurological and chemical stimuli of music on the brain have been observed. Whatever its subsequent 'value' may be is arbitary.

Peace. (Or Faith No More up to 11, if you prefer.)
            Last edited by Crayon; 03-10-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
              You win.

The only things that exist in the universe are the things that can be measured by our senses.
              I've not said or suggested any such thing. I actually agreed with you that not everything can be measured by our senses. Didn't you read my 'plumb line' comment?

Comment

Originally posted by Staircaseghost View Post
                You should definitely calculate your Baez Score and include the result in your query letter to make sure your manuscript gets in the right hands.
                Too funny. I'm gonna get me a T-shirt that says "SELF-APPOINTED DEFENDER OF THE ORTHODOXY" and then ironically sh!t on a so-called 'physics professor'.

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                  there is no such thing as an NDE as a discrete phenomenon.
                  This is why I think this guy is involved in a cult. Scientology's #1 sworn enemy is psychiatry. NDE is terminology that originated from the field of psychiatry.

Comment

Be sure to link this topic in your query to show potential agents how driven and professional you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin Taylor View Post
                      Be sure to link this topic in your query to show potential agents how driven and professional you are.
                      Not sure where this is coming from. If trying to educate someone on the current views from the science of medicine is unprofessional, then I guess consider me guilty?

Maybe I had bad training with my bedside manner where I was instructed not just to prescribe treatments, but to educate and inform why those things were helpful.

I linked to the Greyson scale for NDE, but it was completely ignored. This is one of the hallmarks of brainwashing - unwillingness to examine outside literature.

When science has been studying NDEs for decades and someone tries to claim they don't exist. I feel the need to start sounding alarm bells to get that person help.

Or maybe you're talking about the bribery and offers for sexual favors?

In that case I would say "professional" behavior depends on the profession.

If you're working in politics and you're not bribing anyone, well then you're the unprofessional one. (whoops, I meant "lobbying" - not bribery)

Same goes for sexual favors in the movie business/casting couch. (again messed it up, I meant "charisma" instead of sexual favors)

Since when did lobbying, using your charisma and educating people become "unprofessional"? Am I still in America or did I travel to a different dimension again?
                      Last edited by raisedbyacentaur; 03-11-2016, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmpowell7 View Post
                        Cult meeting alert: Saturday, 8 p.m. Usual spot. When you give the secret knock, the password phrase is, "Open the door, you dumbass!" Aluminum foil headwear required. Light hors d'oeuvres. No suspenders.
                        No suspenders! You should post more often. Holy crap that's funny.

Comment

Originally posted by raisedbyacentaur View Post
                          This is why I think this guy is involved in a cult. Scientology's #1 sworn enemy is psychiatry. NDE is terminology that originated from the field of psychiatry.
                          Yet again, you misquote and slander. You're just like Hitler.

THE END

Comment

After having read this thread, I don't think you have a chance in hell of getting any sort of deal. First your premise sounds wonky and pseudosciency, but the biggest red flag here is that numerous people have told you need to work on your query/ proposal, and you deflect the response, and give incredibly lame arguments such as "I don't want to give 100% in case they expect that from now on." What kind of BS logic is that? No one is going to want to work with someone who can't take criticism and employ easily actionable notes. Anyone, ANYONE, can write your book. You have to prove that you're the only one who can do it well, or else why would I invest money into it?

You say you're not having luck so far, well it's because your query sucks and you're not willing to fix it. Instead you think you can bribe your way into the industry by buying someone steak and a scotch, or sleeping with them? I hope that was a joke, but based off the delusion I've seen in the other posts, I'm guessing you mean it. That's not how hollywood works, you watch too many bad movies.

The fact of the matter is even if I knew a lit agent, why would I risk my reputation and relationship with them by referring you. If the agent comes back and says "hey, this is interesting, but the proposal needs work before we shop it." Are you going to say, "Well I'm a storyteller like Lucas, and blah blah blah" The agent is going to delete you from his contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                              Yet again, you misquote and slander. You're just like Hitler.

THE END
                              Hail Xenu.

Comment

Working...
                              X