X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15% managers?

Hi everyone,
    I hope you are all great today!

My question is this...is it normal for a manager to ask for 15%? I thought the standard was 10% for managers and 15% for agents.

I appreciate your answers/thoughts on this question.

Re: 15% managers?

10% Manager
    10% Agent
    5% Attorney

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
      10% Manager
      10% Agent
      5% Attorney
      This is the arrangement I have.

Comment

I don't know from experience, but the question has been asked here before and the general consensus has been that it's not normal, though people have encountered it.

Comment

It's high but not unheard of. Standard is 10%, so if you're considering signing with a manager who says his fee is 15%, make sure you know what the extra 5% is for. A manager who charges 15% "just because" and a manager who charges 15% for an appreciable reason (demonstrably high rate of sales, extremely useful/insightful notes, above-and-beyond-type personal attention, etc.) are completely different things.

Comment

I thought I had heard if someone doesn't have an agent and just a manager 15% was acceptable. Or maybe I'm crazy. Or even asleep right now...
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
              This is the arrangement I have.
              2nd this.
              Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

It's not unheard of but it is rare among legit managers. I don't know a single pro who pays 15%.

Still, if it's someone you like, who has a legit track record, and whom you think would be a real benefit to your career, it isn't (necessarily) a deal breaker. However, I'd make sure to specify that if/when an agent comes on board, it drops to the standard 10%.
                twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

I wouldn't say it's "rare"...

15% seems to be associated with managers who take on new writers and do a lot of in house production ie. Zero Gravity (which in itself is another ethical discussion). The stipulation is of course that an agent isn't part of the picture because they generally aren't going wide/out with your material, and therefore there's no pressing need for an agent.

From my experience, such offers were extended under the agreement that if ever agent became involved, 15% would be reduced to 10%

Comment

From my experience I would most definitely say it's rare.
                    http://twitter.com/JohnSwetnam

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Boy View Post
                      From my experience I would most definitely say it's rare.
                      I wouldn't necessarily use the word 'rare', but it does tend to be a lesser known arrangement whereby the client is either hip-pocketed by the manager or has something in place where, if the client is unrepped by an agent, the manager has to pick up the slack and so demands 15%. That tends to revert to 10% once the agent is on board to balance things out.

Comment

Working...
                      X