Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for INDIE script readers

Does anyone have a recommendation for a script reader for an indie "coming of age" film? I have used script readers who are familiar to these boards before, but my fear is they may unintentionally steer it towards a hollywood mainstream film.

Thanks
    Never mistake motion for action. ~Ernest Hemingway

Re: Recommendations for INDIE script readers

Originally posted by Bellabell View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a script reader for an indie "coming of age" film? I have used script readers who are familiar to these boards before, but my fear is they may unintentionally steer it towards a hollywood mainstream film.

Thanks
    Not sure this approach will get you the results you expect. Whoever reads your script will take on the task to find faults. You take those notes with a grain of salt. In most cases they'll offer new and fresh ideas to YOUR script.

I recommend notes from the mechanic and tell him exactly what you wrote here. He offers great story ideas. Even if he doesn't rec it, he'll try to improve the storytelling. Not sure how obscure your story is. I sent a horror scene to the mechanic where a newborn baby is roasted in an oven. So I'm sure he's seen it all.

As for an Indie POV in the coverage, in the end I don't think film buyers really care if it's labeled "indie". If you end up having to say that after it's made, then you're probably in trouble. They just want good films with stars.
    Being a screenwriter is not enough for a full creative life. ~ William Goldman

homeslice

Comment

Originally posted by ToddC View Post
      Not sure this approach will get you the results you expect. Whoever reads your script will take on the task to find faults. You take those notes with a grain of salt. In most cases they'll offer new and fresh ideas to YOUR script.

I recommend notes from the mechanic and tell him exactly what you wrote here. He offers great story ideas. Even if he doesn't rec it, he'll try to improve the storytelling. Not sure how obscure your story is. I sent a horror scene to the mechanic where a newborn baby is roasted in an oven. So I'm sure he's seen it all.

As for an Indie POV in the coverage, in the end I don't think film buyers really care if it's labeled "indie". If you end up having to say that after it's made, then you're probably in trouble. They just want good films with stars.
      Thanks. The mechanic looks interesting and with reasonable rates. I'm not so much worried about the "indie" label or an obscure story. We are producing it ourselves and just want the strongest story possible with out having to turn it into a tent pole movie. I know the good script readers will be able to cover anything, but there are few who out there who seem to be biased towards certain genres.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellabell View Post
        Thanks. The mechanic looks interesting and with reasonable rates. I'm not so much worried about the "indie" label or an obscure story. We are producing it ourselves and just want the strongest story possible with out having to turn it into a tent pole movie. I know the good script readers will be able to cover anything, but there are few who out there who seem to be biased towards certain genres.
        I'm with ya. Totally understand your situation.

There's a couple of things you can do above the readers. You can submit to a couple of contests and festivals that have a quick turnaround. Search moviebytes for a suitable contest. Like a monthly screenplay contest. Then see how it does. If it wins or gets mentioned, you know you're onto something. If not, look at the script again. I've submitted to Worldfest-Houston in the past. It's not gonna get you any attention, but they do respond to indie material. They award Plat, gold, silver, bronze berths in each genre... That can be a good scale.

You can also give it to a few friends or actors, then get a consensus.

Sounds like you might just be looking for a focus group scenario to test the script. In that sense, a reader or anyone here may look at it clinically, and that's not what you want. You just want to read the reactions to gauge how well the film might be received at fests, markets, or four-walling. But to get to that end, you'll still want the mechanic's or scriptgal's take on it eventually.
        Being a screenwriter is not enough for a full creative life. ~ William Goldman

homeslice

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas. I like the sound of a focus group. Funny you mention Worldfest, I am from Houston and did an internship with them many years ago.

Originally posted by ToddC View Post
          I'm with ya. Totally understand your situation.

There's a couple of things you can do above the readers. You can submit to a couple of contests and festivals that have a quick turnaround. Search moviebytes for a suitable contest. Like a monthly screenplay contest. Then see how it does. If it wins or gets mentioned, you know you're onto something. If not, look at the script again. I've submitted to Worldfest-Houston in the past. It's not gonna get you any attention, but they do respond to indie material. They award Plat, gold, silver, bronze berths in each genre... That can be a good scale.

You can also give it to a few friends or actors, then get a consensus.

Sounds like you might just be looking for a focus group scenario to test the script. In that sense, a reader or anyone here may look at it clinically, and that's not what you want. You just want to read the reactions to gauge how well the film might be received at fests, markets, or four-walling. But to get to that end, you'll still want the mechanic's or scriptgal's take on it eventually.

Comment

Working...
          X