Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma

Ever since the BBC's 1995 miniseries of "Pride and Prejudice" set the modern bar for Jane Austen adaptations (or Ang Lee's feature version of "Sense and Sensibility" that same year), new versions of her novels have become a regular occurrence. The latest iteration of "Emma" feels of a piece with Greta Gerwig's "Little Women" in that it remains generally faithful to the plot while also bringing a more modern feel to the period setting.

Autumn de Wilde pushes traditional elements like the costumes and manor house settings to extremes in their color palettes and contrasting the individuals against wall-sized master paintings or exterior landscapes. Another welcome addition (mostly) is the use of movement and physical comedy -- the director is rarely above milking a scene for laughs with actions that sometime verge on slapstick. These are not just antique figurines standing around in drawing rooms and delivering speeches. They move and inhabit the spaces almost like an improv troupe, which brings a fresh energy to the oft-told tale.

Emma and Mr. Knightley may not quite reach the combustion level of Lizzie Bennett and Mr. Darcy but this take on their romance comes more than close enough

Re: Emma

They had me at Miranda Hart.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
      They had me at Miranda Hart.
      yeah, she's terrific. kind of steals the show honestly

Comment

Saw Emma early this afternoon. What a beautiful work of cinematography.

With only three other people in the movie theater, my first thought was “Coronavirus!” My second thought was “Monday afternoon matinée.” I’m sure it was the latter and not the former that caused the depressed attendance.

Depressed does not describe the film, however, nor does depressing, and it was a joy to watch the story unfold. For those who read and enjoy the classics in literature, this film is a well-wrought gem and an excellent reflection of the novel.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
          March 9, 2020 — With only three other people in the movie theater, my first thought was “Coronavirus!” My second thought was “Monday afternoon matinée.” I’m sure it was the latter and not the former that caused the depressed attendance.
          So much for going to nearly empty movie theaters.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
          X