Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
jboffer

Default Where the hell do you start?

So it seems you guys send out hundreds of query letters for single scripts.

I haven't bothered yet. I've entered a few contests for the slim chance that may pan out.

But where do you get this massive amount of emails? You have to look everything up individually (I know it only makes sense to send to people who may be interested in your genre) or is there a database somewhere? (IMDB pro?) Just don't know where to start. Thought there'd be a sticky on this somewhere, but couldn't find one.

Thanks for the help
jboffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Telly

Default Re: Where the hell do you start?

Start here:

Search > Query Letter

You'll find countless threads that will answer your question. Probably the hottest, most discussed topic around here in fact. Good luck!
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
streaker12345
Regular

You can use Hollywood Creative Directory, Imdb that all cost money or go to one of my favorite sites,(free of course) which has over 1500 email addresses from the biggest to smallest companies, agents and managers.

http://everyonewhosanyone.com/other.html

streaker12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
ScreenQuery
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaker12345 View Post
You can use Hollywood Creative Directory, Imdb that all cost money or go to one of my favorite sites,(free of course) which has over 1500 email addresses from the biggest to smallest companies, agents and managers.

http://everyonewhosanyone.com/other.html

I definitely do not recommend Everyonewhosanyone.com anymore.

Dump out the monthly fee at IMDBpro. It is well worth it.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Takezo
Regular

Query agents and managers instead of production companies.
You'll have much more success this way.

Case in point (and don't know if I told this story yet).... was going to a meeting with Mark Varidain at Disney studios a few years back. I walked out of the parking structure and was confronted by a line of 4 or five dipstly dumpsters filled to the brim with scripts. There was a guy there salvaging the brads and tossing the scripts. I asked him what was going on. He told me that these were "unsolicited" material, and that they just recycle the paper.

Now if they/them at Disney toss all the unsolicited material, and there were multiple dumpsters of this stuff... how many query letters did they also recieve and ignore?!

I know there a whole lot of words generated on this site about queries to production companies--but I personally think this is like standing in line at the American Idol auditions. The production companies do not take unsolicited material--and most toss the query letters (the ones you want to connect to that is). Yes some may look at the material (the cheese bags possibly). But this is my opinion.

You stand a much, much better chance of landing representation, than generating interest or a sale with a production company.

Sorry, this is the way the system works.

T
Takezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
jboffer

So question...

If you send query letters to agents, do they pass on their material to readers?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Takezo
Regular

It will depend upon who/which agent you send it to.

If you send it to THRUSH (a mega agency), they/them will absolutely send it to a reader or at the very least thier baby-agent/assistant, and they will tell thier agent what to initially think. And remember if you do this, you are one screenplay in vast stacks of material.

If you target a smaller shop--and a particular agent, and send them something that seems personalized (like a real live letter), then they will most likely respond, and personally read the material themselves.

The smaller shops do not have the fat and waste that the bigger Wal-Mart Agencies have. They also generally are "hungry" ...that is looking for good material--because most of it winds up with the bigger sharks.

If an agent/manager thinks your premise is hot (gauging off your query/log-line/short-synop), yeah they will contact you. And if they do this, most likely they will give it a 10/20... if you pass this hurdle of interest, and they consume the rest--and also really like it. You will probably get a call to come in and yack.

And forget those stupid contests, etc.
You may have something completely wonderful, and it may win... but it also will probably be the kiss of death.
The only contests you want to win are the representation and sales contests.
These are the only gold medals.
Managers/agents/producers do not want material that has been dragged all over town.
They want to feel special--want to have something special.

I don't think there is an agent/producer/director that gives a flying 'F' if you won a screenplay contest.
They just want 120 pages of magic at their fingertips.

What I would do if I were you... I'd start to try and cultivate some relationships with industry people. All of them know an agent or manager. And somewhere, somehow--you can parlay a relationship into an introduction. This is the way it worked way back in the day for me with "Writer's And Artists" (what's their new name now?).

T

Last edited by Takezo : 06-03-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Takezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Hollywood Creative Directory, Imdb that all cost money
other sources:inktip newsletter and preferred newsletter, scriptpimp, creative screenwriting producers directory
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
mlongton

You'll get the most read requests from managers, no doubt. I have to take issue with Takezo, though. I've found production companies to be MUCH more approachable than agencies. You don't query studios, obviously, or the biggest prodcos, but indies and other studio-affiliated prodcos are often quite approachable. I would stay away from those places that mass mail your loglines - almost nobody rfeads them.
mlongton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
jboffer

Good advice thus far. Though I still think contests can be worth it. I'm not just in the business of moving this one script, I'm looking for connections in general. And being in the midwest makes that more difficult.