No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Managers -- What Is and Is Not An Ideal Relationship

Originally posted by Friday View Post
    I don't know. You seem pretty Hollywood entrenched to me. I am more comfortable writing. I enjoy talking to people, but I hate schmoozing with an agenda. It makes me feel tense. I think I'd enjoy the Hollywood meeting because that's more one on one. But, what do you advise a writer to do before they have the power of CAA or some agency behind them to send them to those meetings. How do you hustle before that time?
    I think you never have the power of ANYONE on your side, no matter who your reps are. Ultimately YOU are the dude in the room making the sale (usually), unless your property is so huge that you don't need to be there. But, that's pretty rare.

I hate schmoozing too, it's cheesy and fake. So I don't do it. First off, I recommend NOT trying to have an agenda. It comes off more natural, puts people at ease, makes them like you and want to help you. And... I'm genuinely interested in people and their lives, I think they can FEEL it when I talk to them.

For example: If I'm out and I start a convo with someone at a bar (or wherever) and it comes out that they're say, a producer... I'll talk about everything BUT movies. At the end of the convo they'll be like, "you know what, here's my card/number, send me something." Then I'm like "Oh, okay, cool... good meeting you brother!"

I believe that's the correct way to "schmooze" (i.e. DON'T SCHMOOZE! Just talk, just be real. They may or may not reach out to YOU.) Like yesterday, my neighbor picked up the phone for me because he LIKES me, I didn't ask him to.

You want THEM to make the offer to help you. And YOU never mention it.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      Tracking Board is good, IMO. They actively push their finalists. I had the least commercial historical thing possible that was a finalist and a year later a producer contacted me about it. Plus those judges are at least going to read your logline. You've got Boxerbaum and guys that are heavy in the spec market who pay attention to it.
      wow, i was checking out the loglines for the 2018/19 winners and they are really good. almost all of them i would pay to see. do they ever share the scripts? do you know?
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        I think you never have the power of ANYONE on your side, no matter who your reps are. Ultimately YOU are the dude in the room making the sale (usually), unless your property is so huge that you don't need to be there. But, that's pretty rare.

I hate schmoozing too, it's cheesy and fake. So I don't do it. First off, I recommend NOT trying to have an agenda. It comes off more natural, puts people at ease, makes them like you and want to help you. And... I'm genuinely interested in people and their lives, I think they can FEEL it when I talk to them.

For example: If I'm out and I start a convo with someone at a bar (or wherever) and it comes out that they're say, a producer... I'll talk about everything BUT movies. At the end of the convo they'll be like, "you know what, here's my card/number, send me something." Then I'm like "Oh, okay, cool... good meeting you brother!"

I believe that's the correct way to "schmooze" (i.e. DON'T SCHMOOZE! Just talk, just be real. They may or may not reach out to YOU.) Like yesterday, my neighbor picked up the phone for me because he LIKES me, I didn't ask him to.

You want THEM to make the offer to help you. And YOU never mention it.

Good thoughts. Yeah, I seriously hate the fake schmoozing. I've seen it at a few events and it makes my skin crawl. People just flock to the most important people in the room and kind of politely ignore the others.

Comment

Working...
        X