Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here's a new one... -UNTILED RANT-

I generally have to do a bunch of research because I'm writing true stories. Luckily, thus far it's all **** I have a grasp on. So I'm not having to learn how a nuclear reactor works or anything. But over the past year I've written four scripts with my manager. In that time probably also done five-six full on pitches that take two-ish weeks each.

Once I have an outline I write the script in two weeks. Outlining and research are done concurrently and probably takes a month or so. All in I can do conception to draft in six weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      I generally have to do a bunch of research because I'm writing true stories. Luckily, thus far it's all **** I have a grasp on. So I'm not having to learn how a nuclear reactor works or anything. But over the past year I've written four scripts with my manager. In that time probably also done five-six full on pitches that take two-ish weeks each.

Once I have an outline I write the script in two weeks. Outlining and research are done concurrently and probably takes a month or so. All in I can do conception to draft in six weeks.
      Same...

I'm generally comfortable with 6 weeks. 1 month research/outline. 2 week write time. My outlines are basically THE SCRIPT in outline form (though I pretend it's not for psychological reasons), but it's essentially drag/drop/format/tweak once I hit script phase.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        Interesting. I've written both ways.

Slowest script written: 9 months (got me some generals, didn't sell)

Fastest scrip written: 48 hours (going out now)

My first script was 16 days. Got me signed at CAA.

No idea if it matters, time spent. I'm curious to know others fastest and slowest scripts and if it mattered. Then again, concept is everything, so it's not a fair comparison. Still, I'm curious how fast or slow you guys are writing.
        I've never written a script in fewer than 10 weeks. I think the longest time I've ever spent on a script was maybe a year and a half. Six months is about average. But it really, really doesn't matter how many scripts you write, only how many outstanding scripts you write.

As to the ceramics story: I think writing is something you learn by spending hours and hours trying your hardest to write well. So whether you spend 1000 hours writing one script or 20 scripts probably doesn't matter much so long as you spend 1000 hours pushing yourself to be your best.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
          I've never written a script in fewer than 10 weeks. I think the longest time I've ever spent on a script was maybe a year and a half. Six months is about average. But it really, really doesn't matter how many scripts you write, only how many outstanding scripts you write.

As to the ceramics story: I think writing is something you learn by spending hours and hours trying your hardest to write well. So whether you spend 1000 hours writing one script or 20 scripts probably doesn't matter much so long as you spend 1000 hours pushing yourself to be your best.

Agreed.

Speed doesn't matter if you're killing it (and if you're mainly a spec writer/director). These days, most of my time is spent on "Fukk am I gonna write that I haven't already... what do I give a sh!t about?"

WHAT'S THE CONCEPT?

I used to feel like I could write my way out of an "okay" concept that wasn't HIGH CONCEPT. I don't believe that anymore in today's climate of pushing concept through the eye of a needle.

Comment

Yes, Gucci, I look back over the last five years of writing and so many of my projects have suffered from not starting with a strong enough concept. So it didn't matter how much I rewrote, etc.

I only now, in the last year, understand the difference between a good and a great concept. Hope I can pull off that great script before I die!

Comment

I used to understand high concept, but since most movies are remakes reboots adaptions or IP based... I don't know what to go off of anymore...

All the high concept comedy ideas I have they say are too broad. They want them grounded. So now a high concept comedy idea is a slight funny idea from a common problem. It's so hard to thread that needle.

I don't think action and thrillers have changed much. But comedy -- they are busting balls!

Comment

Six months is about average for me as well. Concept to polished draft. That includes research, free writing, outlining, and pages. I usually juggle other stuff at the same time, pitches and new ideas and such.

Comment

Mine is think about idea for 2-10 years than write it all in 1 day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    Mine is think about idea for 2-10 years than write it all in 1 day.
                    Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                      Six months is about average for me as well. Concept to polished draft. That includes research, free writing, outlining, and pages. I usually juggle other stuff at the same time, pitches and new ideas and such.
                      Interesting. I thought only guys like Scott Frank could get away with that [i.e. 6 months].

For me what takes the most time is dealing with notes. I literally wrote my last script (feature) in 24 hours. Then waited to type FADE OUT 'til the following day... as it was coincidentally the same date/time as my dad's death... Typed FADE OUT at exactly the moment my father died 30 years earlier. My lady pointed out to me that this date has happened only 11 times since and that I should wait to type FADE OUT, since the next time I'd have this opportunity wouldn't be for another 6 years. Meant a lot to me to do that.

...as it's a story, in part, honoring my father's memory (A black man who had his life stolen from him by whites for being black: First black man in his family to go to college. Star basketball player under iconic coach Jerry Tarkanian [who attended his funeral and confided in me and my brother], stellar grades in college, music artist in a band who recorded an album. Drafted to Nam. Put on the frontlines to kill women and babies. Sprayed with Agent Orange. Brain tumor. Class action lawsuit. Won. But dead. None of my white friends have that story.)

...which is probably gonna kill me out there: People don't like it when you're honest about the BLACK experience as a biracial person. This town is a fukkin fake facade, lie if it makes money and makes us feel good about ourselves. Long as you talk about black people being slaves the town is good! "YES, BLACK SLAVES! MAKE IT! MORE OF THIS! WAKANDA! SPEARS = BLACK!" The second you admit that blacks are racist too (my black grandmother)... NOPE! The second you show a black man with a blond blue eyed woman (my mom) NOPE! Let's pretend race mixing doesn't happen exactly the way I honestly portrayed. Even though 100% of my mixed race family and EVERY mixed race person I know has the SAME story of families destroyed due to race.

POINT: Imagine was probably right "You're ahead of your time." Nobody wants to admit to the sh!t I talk about in scripts, so they don't sell. No mater how fast or slow I write them.

To be fair, it's my life's story so I obviously know the material, I've lived it. But, then I was asked (by manager) to extend it into a limited series with a bible (Feature at 135 pages felt too compressed). Did that. Then a full series with new bible. Did that. 3 versions and 2 bibles later, we're out with it. That's what took the longest on this one.

I'm learning just how racist Hollywood IS on this one.

A bit OT, but whatevez...

Comment

Dude what are you talking about? Blind Side and Green Book? Big hits. They loves movies about black men as long as there is a white man who is equal on the poster. So hopefully you wrote Jerry into the script so Brad Pitt can play the coach telling stories about your dad and flashing back to Michael B. Jordan playing your dad. It's gonna be huge!!!!

And more seriously, that story is one I want to see on screen. And I'm not alone. I feel you need someone to champion it that wants to play the lead role...

Comment

i can write pretty fast. as long as my concept is solid. with my genres there is a requirement to research the leading science so that does take a few weeks; so research and outline about 4 weeks part-time, two weeks full-time.

i can write a first draft-- i don't do vomit drafts-- in about 12 twelve hour days. once i receive good notes, i can turn around a second draft in two weeks.

the problem is all the **** that gets in the way in the inbetween... ugh, hate it!

i actually love all of it. it's challenging for sure, but there's nothing i would rather do or be. i'm so grateful that i can do this full time right now. just trying to get caught up, you know?
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Even when I wrote, I guess we wrote slow or maybe it's just we were always developing ideas and that stuff can take 6 months to years of your life away because you're always making "progress" on it... trying to get it ready for reps.... reps trying to sell it... producer wanting to make it better for them... director likes it...

I feel I wasted most of my scripts on the same 5-10 concepts but there was stuff happening. Still a waste of time end result, but that's what happens a lot too.

You do development and unlike John August you don't only lose the Tv show or movie, you don't get paid 1 god damn nickel for your time and effort.

Hopes and dreams zero. Failure 100%. Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                              Dude what are you talking about? Blind Side and Green Book? Big hits. They loves movies about black men as long as there is a white man who is equal on the poster. So hopefully you wrote Jerry into the script so Brad Pitt can play the coach telling stories about your dad and flashing back to Michael B. Jordan playing your dad. It's gonna be huge!!!!

And more seriously, that story is one I want to see on screen. And I'm not alone. I feel you need someone to champion it that wants to play the lead role...

Lol. Right? Tried to make white people look good-ish in this (my fam), but the truth is, EVERYONE is racist, to a degree, so I said so. Which is the entire point. Racism goes both ways if you're biracial.

It's gonna kill me out there. But, I refuse to lie. That's not "WRITING". IMO.

Trying with it. It's been a battle.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                                i can write pretty fast. as long as my concept is solid. with my genres there is a requirement to research the leading science so that does take a few weeks; so research and outline about 4 weeks part-time, two weeks full-time.

i can write a first draft-- i don't do vomit drafts-- in about 12 twelve hour days. once i receive good notes, i can turn around a second draft in two weeks.

the problem is all the **** that gets in the way in the inbetween... ugh, hate it!

i actually love all of it. it's challenging for sure, but there's nothing i would rather do or be. i'm so grateful that i can do this full time right now. just trying to get caught up, you know?
                                That's pretty damn quick! Good for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X