Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
jonpiper

Default Re: Dramatic Irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
I think he used that example to explain "suspense", not dramatic irony.
It's an example of the use of dramatic irony to create suspense.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Dr. Vergerus

That seems like pushing it a bit... I don't see how there can be dramatic irony without the character having some intention or expectation (and I won't buy that they expect there won't be a bomb under the table)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
jonpiper

Quote:
That seems like pushing it a bit... I don't see how there can be dramatic irony without the character having some intention or expectation (and I won't buy that they expect there won't be a bomb under the table)

The audience knows but the character(s) don't know. The characters have an expectation that the restrauant is clear of bombs, but you think there should another type of expectation. Hmm.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
SkyPolynomial
Regular

I don't know about you guys, but I always expect bombs to be under the tables of the restaurants I frequent.

Be vigilant folks.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Dr. Vergerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpiper View Post
The audience knows but the character(s) don't know. The characters have an expectation that the restrauant is clear of bombs, but you think there should another type of expectation. Hmm.
I think there should be an active expectation, not a default assumption. Otherwise, everytime the audience knows more than the character, that would be a case of dramatic irony, even if there's nothing ironic in the situation. Do you see irony in the following: a contract killer puts a bomb in some guys car; the guy gets in the car in the morning to go to work, starts the engine, and it's blown to pieces.

I don't know, but we could end up like this:
-Yesterday I went to the doctor for a check-up.
-Yeah? How did it go?
-Turned out... I have cancer.
-Well, that's ironic.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
asjah8

Quote:
I think there should be an active expectation, not a default assumption. Otherwise, everytime the audience knows more than the character, that would be a case of dramatic irony, even if there's nothing ironic in the situation. Do you see irony in the following: a contract killer puts a bomb in some guys car; the guy gets in the car in the morning to go to work, starts the engine, and it's blown to pieces.

I don't know, but we could end up like this:
-Yesterday I went to the doctor for a check-up.
-Yeah? How did it go?
-Turned out... I have cancer.
-Well, that's ironic.
isn't that thinking literally rather than visually? if one character knows he has cancer and tells another character, then we as the audience are learning it at the same time so it's not ironic.

but,

if one character learns from his doctor that he has cancer then goes to meet the other character for lunch and lashes out at his friend, then that's ironic because the other character doesn't yet know his friend has cancer; and, we saw the first guy with his doctor and learned it first.

anyway, my understanding, YMMV.

Last edited by asjah8 : 02-08-2012 at 01:31 PM.
asjah8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
The Road Warrior

Quote:
I think he used that example to explain "suspense", not dramatic irony.
Yes, he did V. But I think it probably counts as DI as well.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
Dr. Vergerus

@asjah8: It was meant to be an example of what I think is a wrong understanding of dramatic irony, taken to the absurd extreme.

Going back to the situation of the bomb under the table, I think we could speak of dramatic irony if, for example, the couple at the table are lovers, holding hands and planning a future together with a white picket fence and three kids; the dramatic irony comes from the distance between their hopes and dreams, and the reality that we know and they ignore; we are like God looking at them and thinking "you poor things..."

"Irony" because of the contradiction between both terms, expectation and outcome. "Dramatic" because they are both meaningful and have a certain intensity. There's nothing dramatic about sitting at a table and not expect anything unusual to happen.

@The Road Warrior: I think he used this example in the book of interviews with Truffaut, but I haven't read it in a while. What do you think of my example in the second paragraph?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
emily blake

You guys are WAY overthinking this.

If we know there's a bomb under the table but the characters don't, it's dramatic irony. If they know there's a bomb, it's not dramatic irony.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Dr. Vergerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
You guys are WAY overthinking this.

If we know there's a bomb under the table but the characters don't, it's dramatic irony. If they know there's a bomb, it's not dramatic irony.
I disagree: that's just suspense. But I may be wrong.

Although, in the end, it doesn't really matter how it's called...