Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #51
Terrance Mulloy

Default Re: "Cloverfield"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant1978 View Post
I'm with billy. Thing is, this movie is told from the POV of some average citizens caught in this mess. They have no reason to find out an explanation. Just as the other million people on Manhattan would have no reason. It's all about survival, as I said before.

Ele...
That's true.

When those airliners smashed into the world trade center, most New Yorkers had no idea some guys sitting in a afghan cave had spent years plotting the attack against America.

From the 9/11 footage I've seen, the citizens of NYC are running around confused, terrified and in total disbelief, even though they knew the second plane signalled an attack.

Why would it be any different for these Cloverfield kids? That's the whole point. The film makers are putting you right in amongst it - you're not seeing it from the directors POV, but from the characters.

I'll know how effective this is in around two hours.

I'll report back.
Terrance Mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #52
Terrance Mulloy

OK, just came back from watching it...

For the most part - I really enjoyed it. It had some genuine moments of sheer, balls to the wall terror. Ocassionally there was cheesey banter sprinkled throughout their journey, but when you take away all the 9/11-isms, the ash covered steets and the CGI devestation, it's really a tragic story.

You won't walk away with a good feeling, because the ending is quite morbid - mainly because it's a love story shrouded in a monster movie. And well... you'll see.

But Abram and Reeves did a wonderful job at making you feel like you're one of the gang. For those seventy-something minutes, I was in NYC running around, trying to find my friends and trying to get out of Manhattan. The accurate sound design also had a lot to do with that. You not only hear your immediate environment, you can also hear the whole city. Screams, explosions, booms, rumbles, car alarms, it's all there.

It was intense and at times rather frightening. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon (apart from writing, of course).
Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #53
Signal30

Oddly enough, taking a rom-com out of the equation... this is a neat little date movie.

For dates that might get into this type of stuff.

It's a two-way street, right?

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #54
Terrance Mulloy

Now we know where the monster came from too!

WARNING: Huge Spoiler Ahead!

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...-came-from.php
Old 01-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #55
CutteRug
Regular

I just got back from it, and I have to say - I was very impressed.

*SPOILERS*

In my opinion, the movie TOTALLY succeeds at making its conceit seem real - and that conceit is that what you're watching is a tape that was recovered from (and I quote) "area 447, formerly known as Central Park".

This implies that the monster did NOT die. That very likely, the remainder of the human race (who is watching this tape) is living in bunkers, occasionally venturing out into the wasted remains of the cities they've bombed (maybe even nuked) to try to get this thing. They're collecting evidence, trying to piece together a game plan to actually beat it. Because to quote the soldier - "Whatever it is, it's winning."

I think this thing is a "Lost" style masterpiece of stringing together tension and bits of information to make you wonder and project into possible futures.

And on a more personal level, the story IS tragic. It's poignant, in that Rob went back for Beth, saved her, and they still didn't make it out alive. I don't know why people are bitching about character development - I thought it was much better than most "monsters-attack" movies. And I don't know where Smileycat got that MANDIE/ANDY exchange. It certainly wasn't in the movie.

Anyway, in case you couldn't tell - I liked it. The ending wasn't your garden-variety "satisfying" ending, but I was still satisfied. It made a promise in the first seconds of the opening, and it fulfilled that promise.

And truth be told, I can't wait for a sequel. I sure hope it's a post-apocalyptic beauty - something to actually accomplish what "28 Weeks Later" and "Resident Evil" attempted. But with a bitchin monster instead of plain-ole zombies.

As you were.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #56
JayKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeastredux View Post
That would be spoon-feeding the audience. This isn't that kind of movie. It's a "let's reveal this thing a bit at a a time" movie. You have to be alert to catch a glimpse of this, or that.

Personally I think the movie did JUST what it set out to do. Make you wonder, and scare you at the right times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant1978 View Post
I'm with billy. Thing is, this movie is told from the POV of some average citizens caught in this mess. They have no reason to find out an explanation. Just as the other million people on Manhattan would have no reason. It's all about survival, as I said before.

Ele...
*SPOILERS*

I'm with you guys.

I don't get how anything further could have been explained in the way they had it.

It wans't about explanation. It was you, with the characters, in the disasteer, as it happens. No one care about the who/what/why in those situations... even in 9/11. In the middle of everything, you just care abut those around you and surviving. Any explaination is a second thought.

This movie was set in that first person POV. It would have detracted from the movie compeltely if they tried to do any more explanation.

The complaints you keep hearing are IMO geared directly towards the way the film was presented--first person POV. The characters weren't developed. The monster wasn't explained. First off, I think both these things were done just fine. And second off, if you were to further either of these parts of the movie... it just wouldn't work with the way it was filmed.

I don't want some weird images attempting to explain something I can make my own (relatively simple) judgements on. I think we knew more than enough about the characters as well.

And the ending was good as well.

Morbid, yes. However, the tape was recovered in an area formerly known as Central Park. Clearly, you can expect everyone dies, at least I expected it. I also think it's easy to make the conclusion out of that simple beginning that humans as a whole might be screwed...

And since this creature is that horrible, I assumed it was an alien as well.

I don't mind making assumptions here because if they spoon fed you that stuff, it would have detracted from the way they wanted to present the film.
JayKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 AM   #57
Terrance Mulloy

>SPOILERS BELOW<

So, did any of us catch the Easter Egg at the end?
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...-came-from.php

The more I think about it, the more I like this film. Think I might wait a few days and go see it again. I'd love the delve in deeper to the back story of this too. There are new photos posted on 1-18-08.com which reveal dead whales and scenes from the Japanese oil rig.

One can only imagine where they'd go with a sequel.

It does kind of leave you yearning for more, because we don't know whether they managed to kill the bloody 'thing'.

Last edited by Terrance Mulloy : 01-20-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #58
j over

Okay, I saw it, and here are my random thoughts:

- The effects are well integrated into the shaky-cam-proceedings and are well done especially when considering the budget (although, the brief glimpses of the big critter and numerous small ones prove to be uniformly more believable than when we get clear, long takes of them).

- The best scene is ultimately the subway tunnel sequence (the noises the crabby-spiders make are unique and disturbing here...later on though they along with the head honcho seem to sound more generic).

- Although none of the characters are able to make that strong of an impression, most of the key members pull off whatever they had to work with decently-enough.

- The character of Hud at quite a few times during all the chaos and terror makes comments or jokes that ring varying degrees of false or edging-onto-cheesy. Comedy can more than work and blend into this kind of piece but here it many more times than not stuck out to me as uneven or just not well-mixed into the reality of the situation.

- I think the movie would have benefited overall to have been an R-rated endeavor as it seems at times the intensity and certain horrific moments could have been amped up even more and provide an even greater sense of realism, immediacy and tension.

- This is either due to the rating, the performances, the direction or a combination of any of them but there are times when a character is attacked or injured and their resulting reactions of pain and all-around-agony are not quite as intense or handled as believably as they could have been.

- A great deal of it feels more like continuous takes of improv and I don’t honestly know if that’s a compliment or not.

- Although an average-joe-video-cam cannot capture every single surrounding shriek or exclamation of panic, there is not a single F-bomb or anything of similar territory heard during the entire ordeal from any of the characters or surrounding innocent bystanders…come on, people: I know this might be getting into nit-picking and I know the rating is probably where the blame should be placed but you couldn’t have even just included one faint murmur? People would be letting all kinds of words and nitty-gritty-slang fly about in a disaster like this.

- The ending, while making sense, did not really provide quite the punch-in-the-gut that I hoped for. I also missed the certain-something that is apparently briefly seen in the very last shot of the film and to me providing any hint of an explanation as to what the creature is or where it came from takes some of its effectiveness out of the equation in certain aspects.

I’m sure I could think of some more, but I liked it but certainly didn’t love it. Coming from someone who was a staff writer on such wondrously-well-written shows as “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel”, I kind of expected something more satisfying from Drew Goddard.

I’m glad I saw it but it’s disappointing that this is not a film I’d probably want to personally own. I definitely don't think a sequel is needed. Still I compliment J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves and everyone else involved for trying to create something that unique and it definitely, as far as apocalyptic-horror-sci-fi-ness goes, is more successful than last month's "I Am Legend" (although, not necessarily acting-wise on the whole).

Random Fact: The film's original-intended-title was apparently "Greyshot".

Last edited by j over : 01-20-2008 at 02:13 AM.
j over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 AM   #59
tabula rasa

Location: 'The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.' Milton(1667)

So, all of you who are telling us how much you enjoyed the CLOVERFIELD movie, how satisfying and complete and well-constructed you think the movie is ...

Step back from how much you enjoyed watching the movie, as spectators ...

Are you, as Writers and future Writers, telling us that this AS IT IS is how you'd WRITE the CLOVERFIELD screenplay? That if you had written it as a screenplay ... you'd be saying:

"Aha, what's there up on the screen, that's all I would have put into it too. I wouldn't have added anything else to explain where the monster came from or what is. I wouldn't have felt the need to tell the audience whether the monster was killed or not. I would've had some of the characters exit in the helicopter (fate unknown) and others die huddled under the bridge without showing the Monster being attacked."

You're standing by your comments above, as Writers?

Because ... okay, that's cool, that's just a difference I'd have, as a Writer, even if we all enjoyed it watching it as fans.

Can I ask (and maybe no one's interesting in answering, that's okay too; or maybe it's interesting to hear the Writer versus the Audience perspective?) how you WOULD change it, if you were each writing it?

Obviously, I'd feel the need to have someone "explain" the monster's origins (via TV exposition, or have Hud and the gang run into someone who can expound upon the monster somehow).

I'd cut out a good chunk of the "running scared" before they rescue Beth, and have more running scared AFTER they've rescued Beth (because I agree with you who say that the characters have a nice set up, that rescuing Beth is a nice romantic goal ... but when they get to her, it's late and she's too banged up.)

I'd have the chick who explodes explode sooner because I didn't like her at all -- and she wouldn't just explode behind a curtain, she'd be transforming into some sort of alien spawn they could talk to about why the alien's here. Which yes, everyone can say "Well, that's stoopid, and that's not how the Cloverfield writers wanted to do it, so go write yer own stoopid script and leave theirs alone etc --

I'd have Beth and the protagonist go out in an erotic blaze of glory, all star-crossed lovers grabbing at their last moments finally together ... instead of goin' out like punks under a bridge all whining about "Oh, why is this happening, we don't know?" because that was the exact frustrated and annoyed question the movie left ME asking too ...

Ah well. So, you're saying if you all had written CLOVERFIELD as a spec, you wouldn't have thought "I think this is too thin, on the page; I better flesh this out in the writing rather than trust that people will be satisfied with the cool CGI monsters." ???

Because I wouldn't have trusted what's on the page (that ends up on the screen) to be "enough"

That's just me. I'll let go off the pain and disappointment in about ... oh, ten seconds.

Anyone want to share scenes or plot points you yourself think might have improved CLOVERFIELD?

ETA: I guess j over added his insights while I was typing. Good insights, there, imo. Anyone else?

"As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
-Mahatma Gandhi.
tabula rasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #60
winter dreams

Default Re: "Cloverfield" (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutteRug View Post

This implies that the monster did NOT die. That very likely, the remainder of the human race (who is watching this tape) is living in bunkers, occasionally venturing out into the wasted remains of the cities they've bombed (maybe even nuked) to try to get this thing. They're collecting evidence, trying to piece together a game plan to actually beat it. Because to quote the soldier - "Whatever it is, it's winning."

I think this thing is a "Lost" style masterpiece of stringing together tension and bits of information to make you wonder and project into possible futures.
I think you're probably right -- the monster survives and ... yeah, what you said. If one sees this as the first of several planned sequels, then the open-ended conclusion makes sense.

It's a bit of a gamble, from the filmmakers standpoint, though, because the uncertain ending will turn off a lot of people and hurt word-of-mouth -- and presumably hurt overall box office. As we all know, the ending of the film is the most important part as regards repeat business. But the sequels will probably make up for any such loss.

And although I also think the couple dies at the end, it's also possible that they survived somehow, but left the camera behind. Not likely, but possible. I'm sure the actors are hoping this is the case.

I'll be looking forward to the sequel(s).
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote