Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #41
bram20
User

Default Re: Georgia Vestakis/Zero Gravity Management

I've been pretty quiet on these boards lately, y'know taking in the posts and scanning them over because I've given up on the writing gig, but my experience is the same as yours and Montana Hans.

ZG want's you to develop their ideas and once you crap out enough log lines and synopsis's to keep them going till the year 2012..it's good bye sucker and radio silence, or as one manager wrote me after he was giddy with excitement over my well crafted screenplay then pushed it up the proverbial ladder, then passed. He wrote "Good luck"..that's it..not hey do you still want to work on that idea...nada. That e-mail translated to me as "Thanks moran for giving us your work and ideas, but we no longer require your services sucker!"

Now..I know people on these boards don't want to hear this type of thing because deep in their hearts their hoping for that door to break down for them some day, but when you're on the outside looking in...you're always going to be on the outside.

So I'm just telling you my experiences with ZG, but these last two posts have confirmed my theories, and DD'er's can beat up on me all you want and defend their honor if you like..saying their the best..blah..blah..blah.

For gods sakes one of our own is being persecuted right now so if you think the industry gives two shakes about the writer..then I'm sorry to spoil your Holiday delusions.

I've been so wronged in so many ways that I just don't care anymore and you guys can take my posts for what's it worth.

Sorry.
bram20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #42
night fugue
User

So, bram20, when you sell this well-crafted script through another rep, will ZG come knocking on your door saying the script is based on their idea and they developed it with you and they're still attached?
night fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #43
bram20
User

No, this script was entirely mine. After he said he enjoyed reading it and wanted it to move up the ladder that's when he wanted more log lines and ideas and so forth, but this particular manager had no hand in my original screenplay whatsoever..that was all me, but I gave him so many loglines and ideas and I'm very sorry I did because he couldn't think of one interesting concept on his own. Now we know why ZG asks for so many scripts...and it's not for the writers benefit.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #44
Sherbet
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram20 View Post
that's when he wanted more log lines and ideas and so forth, but this particular manager had no hand in my original screenplay whatsoever..that was all me, but I gave him so many loglines and ideas and I'm very sorry I did because he couldn't think of one interesting concept on his own. Now we know why ZG asks for so many scripts...and it's not for the writers benefit.
Are you suggesting they will rip off ideas and give them to writers they already rep?

That would be unscrupulous.

But you can register a 'synopsis' with the WGA - would that not give you some protection?

Last edited by Sherbet : 12-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Sherbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #45
bram20
User

Guys, in case you haven't noticed..the industry is unscrupulous and this is happening whether you writers want to acknowledge this or not. I know it's a tough pill to swallow but gulp it down and welcome to reality "Take the red pill".

I can't believe that this has not entered any writers mind..but we know full well that it has, we just refuse to accept it.

If they deny 99.9% of work and I know for a fact that their are DD'ers on here who write pretty exceptional then you put the pieces of the puzzle together. It's not that hard..just start at the corners.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #46
Sherbet
User

If you've copyrighted your script, you have proof of your ownership of the 'elements' (characterizations, plot, unique twists etc.), and you should also have an email/paper trail of your submissions.

But since you're talking about undeveloped loglines and ideas, that's where you should probably be wary, and offer to send someone a synopsis instead of just telling them over the phone.

Last edited by Sherbet : 12-23-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Sherbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #47
bram20
User

Yes, my work is protected to the best of my knowledge and I've kept all e-mails and correspondence..but you can't fight the man.

My only solution at the moment..is to stop writing. I haven't written a stitch in over seven months, and actually it's been liberating to know that no one else can screw me over, especially in this economy where I've been struggling.

If there is a manager, producer or production company who is legitimate, honorable and trustworthy I have yet to find one...because they don't exist. I guess I won't be receiving any Christmas miracles this year.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #48
LauriD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefarer View Post
Is that more than a read request?
They liked one script and want to see more.
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #49
lordmanji

i think ZG is one of those mgmt companies that request 15 percent. after reading whats been said about them on this thread, it further supports the idea that mgrs who take 15 are to be avoided.
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #50
mrjonesprods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram20 View Post

My only solution at the moment..is to stop writing. I haven't written a stitch in over seven months, and actually it's been liberating to know that no one else can screw me over, especially in this economy where I've been struggling.

If there is a manager, producer or production company who is legitimate, honorable and trustworthy I have yet to find one...because they don't exist. I guess I won't be receiving any Christmas miracles this year.
Bitter party of one, your table is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night fugue View Post
Has anyone signed with Zero Gravity Management and had them actually go out with the spec script got their interest in the first place? Or do all of ZGM's clients end up writing scripts from scratch based on ZGM's ideas?
I was repped by ZG way back when. They were responsible for helping me get my first studio gig after sending one of my own scripts wide. I only paid 10 percent commission on my deal. I found them to be competent managers who are very involved in their clients careers and want the best for them. They're good people too. We later parted ways amicably because it was just time for me to move on. It happens. In that time, I only developed my own material.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote