Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations?

Since I'm new here, I was wondering if users on here who are repped recommend new users to their manager or agent. I'm just curious, and I'm sure it's a long shot.

Thanks,

Re: Recommendations?

I'm not repped, but my personal guess? No, no no no no...

Besides my close close friends, I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone to my rep. Any new client your rep brings on is one less job your rep is suggesting you for, one less phone call they'll answer, etc etc.

I'm not opposed to giving advice about my experiences, or even (if I had one) to recommend my rep if they want to try them, but I would never e-mail my rep and personally refer someone unless they were my close friend.

Comment

Not necessarily "new users" specifically but I recommend emerging writers to reps all the time. More so to other managers and agents I know than my own, though. If it's an obvious fit, I'll recommend somebody to my own rep.

I'm confident enough in my own talents to know that they'll command attention when they need to and am not worried about somebody stealing my time or whatever. That's kind of a sackless attitude in my opinion.

Good writers needs to support each other.

I was supported along the way and I'm simply paying it forward to people who will hopefully do the same for somebody else.

Karma is real, folks. Build yours.
      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I'm with Joe. When I was repped, I absolutely referred writers, just as when I was searching for new representation, other writers referred me to their own agents.
        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
          Not necessarily "new users" specifically but I recommend emerging writers to reps all the time. More so to other managers and agents I know than my own, though. If it's an obvious fit, I'll recommend somebody to my own rep.

I'm confident enough in my own talents to know that they'll command attention when they need to and am not worried about somebody stealing my time or whatever. That's kind of a sackless attitude in my opinion.

Good writers needs to support each other.

I was supported along the way and I'm simply paying it forward to people who will hopefully do the same for somebody else.

Karma is real, folks. Build yours.
          Believe me, I'm all for helping people, but no writer has ever passed my name along to their rep after reading my work, and it's not that they didn't enjoy it or think it had merit. But they were more concerned with getting their own stuff sold more than they were mine, and hey, I'm cool with that.

I'm a big believer in lending a helping hand to people when you've got a hand to lend. I've done it all my life, and I'm sure I'm owed quite a bit of money and favors if I ever need to collect.

If you got helped out Joe and that's how you landed your rep, that's awesome! I can see why you'd be willing to throw other folks a bone, too.

I've read one of your scripts that was passed my way through a friend, though, and I don't think you would have been looking real long for a rep either way.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post

I've read one of your scripts that was passed my way through a friend, though, and I don't think you would have been looking real long for a rep either way.
            Very kind of you, dude. Keep after it.
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I don't know if I'd recommend a user, but I've recommended a friend to my manger when they were looking for one. My manager passed on him. I haven't recommended anyone to my agent.

I worked with a writer on a show who recommended me to his agent at endeavor. It was nice of him. I didn't even ask.

Comment

I do recommend people (who I know).
                But I read their stuff first.
                If it's absolutely top rate and hits on all eight cylinders--sure, there's no problem.
                But if the material sucks, no--I don't want the embarrasment.

And don't ask.

T

Comment

I also read that script of yours, joe. I thought that the writing was so poor that I would not recommend it to a functional illiterate. Sorry. Just my take.

Comment

Just kidding, joe. I never read your script. But I'm sure you're a fine writer.

Comment

Originally posted by dwightman View Post
                      Since I'm new here, I was wondering if users on here who are repped recommend new users to their manager or agent. I'm just curious, and I'm sure it's a long shot.

Thanks,

Before this thread goes off the rails --

You'll find a variety of answers and opinions. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the common theme would be that it depends on the personal relationship and the material.

But an interesting thing to mention is that I have a VERY good friend who is repped by H2F and CAA. He offered to refer me and I declined, temporarily. I wanted to know what I could do on my own, first.

When I landed a manager, on my own, the old fashioned way it was an enormous confidence boost.

Of course I've since parted ways with said manager and am thinking of hitting my buddy up for a referral NOW, lol.

Comment

I don't have a manager but I have a samll number of contacts that will take a look at loglines I send them and if interested will take a look at the script. I'm all for helping each other and working together. It's hard enough to break into this business alone. That's me, but what from I've read on this site most people won't lift a finger to help someone else. At this moment someone is looking at a script I sent them on behalf of someone else at Escape Artists.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
                          I also read that script of yours, joe. I thought that the writing was so poor that I would not recommend it to a functional illiterate. Sorry. Just my take.
                          Well, as far as I'm concerned, any shred of credibility you had remaining -- and I do mean a shred -- just burned to ash. Saying "I'm just joking" doesn't change it.
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

You have to realize, streaker, that aspiring writers are not in a position to recommend others. Even professional writers usually don't make recommendations. Why? Because hustling for yourself is job number one. A writer has no financial incentive to hook you up.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              Well, as far as I'm concerned, any shred of credibility you had remaining -- and I do mean a shred -- just burned to ash. Saying "I'm just joking" doesn't change it.
                              Ya wanna fight?! Huh, huh?! Meet me out in the park in five minutes, dude!

Comment

Working...
                              X