Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
BurOak

Default Creative Entertainment & Media, Inc.

Has anyone had any dealings with CEM (based in Marina Del Rey) or Matthew King-Ringo. They responded favorably to a query I sent out within a matter of hours, and Matthew even called me on the phone to talk.

But some of the things that were said during the conversation raised some serious red flags. Does anyone here know if these guys are legit or simply scammers?
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
SoCalScribe

Default Re: Creative Entertainment & Media, Inc.

I've never had any personal dealings with them... but what kind of things did they say that raised red flags? Maybe we can at least help by telling you if what they're saying sounds legit or shady.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalScribe View Post
I've never had any personal dealings with them... but what kind of things did they say that raised red flags? Maybe we can at least help by telling you if what they're saying sounds legit or shady.
They said that they required a budget prepared by a line producer (at my expense) in order to evaluate a script or even a treatment. If I didn't have a line producer handy, they had one they could recommend who charges $4000 per script (of which "they'd pay half [wink, wink]"). If I did have one handy, and they didn't think the budget seemed"professional enough" they'd reject the project in toto.

Sounds like fee-based scammers to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
iwritetoo
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurOak View Post
They said that they required a budget prepared by a line producer (at my expense) in order to evaluate a script or even a treatment. If I didn't have a line producer handy, they had one they could recommend who charges $4000 per script (of which "they'd pay half [wink, wink]"). If I did have one handy, and they didn't think the budget seemed"professional enough" they'd reject the project in toto.

Whoa! Yeah, man...sounds like a scam! I would forget about them and move on with quering "real" producers.

And by the way, I'm from Chicago too. I'm now out in SoCal. But the Chi will always be my home.
iwritetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
SoCalScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurOak View Post

I can't remember the name of the other thread, but this very situation was discussed at length just about a month ago or so. My opinion was, and still is, that while a budget can help make a more appealing package to investors... it is not the writer's responsibility to generate one, either as their own work product or the financial backing for someone else's. I would be more inclined to believe that they're legit if the budget were an optional component... but since the budget is required in order for them to even consider reading a screenplay... and it seems that they've positioned themselves so that you basically have to use their guy or risk outright rejection... to me those are the makings of a scam. Or at least a very shady place to do business.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalScribe View Post
I can't remember the name of the other thread, but this very situation was discussed at length just about a month ago or so. My opinion was, and still is, that while a budget can help make a more appealing package to investors... it is not the writer's responsibility to generate one, either as their own work product or the financial backing for someone else's. I would be more inclined to believe that they're legit if the budget were an optional component... but since the budget is required in order for them to even consider reading a screenplay... and it seems that they've positioned themselves so that you basically have to use their guy or risk outright rejection... to me those are the makings of a scam. Or at least a very shady place to do business.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, too. Especially after they claimed to be able to bypass development departments and go straight to top execs...especially since the company itself seems to have no credits.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwritetoo View Post
Whoa! Yeah, man...sounds like a scam! I would forget about them and move on with quering "real" producers.

And by the way, I'm from Chicago too. I'm now out in SoCal. But the Chi will always be my home.
Actually, I can hardly wait to leave. This city has become so corrupt with taxes and tickets and fees and fines that it's bleeding me dry.

That and my Powerbook G4 was taken on a mugging on July 5.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
strawberrygirl
New User

Totally sounds like a scam
strawberrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
MargoChanning

I seem to remember having dealings with this guy. You're right to be wary.
MargoChanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcguinn View Post
I seem to remember having dealings with this guy. You're right to be wary.
Thanks. What was your experience with him?