Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Esola @ WME

Has anyone had success querying Mike Esola? By "success," I mean a reply and a read request? I'm just curious if it's even worth my time. I have a great manager at a management company that I'm not happy with (manager joined AFTER I signed with him) on account of all I hear from them is "no," "no" and "no" again on my projects that they deem "too big for the spec market."

They have no problem attaching talent for projects...just not any of mine, alas.

Mike has racked up some big sales with big specs in the vein of what I do so I thought an e-mail wouldn't hurt.

No b.s. feedback: A good idea? Or a pipe dream?

Edited to add: For those who DID have success querying, would you mind sharing and tips as to what you put in your logline / how you pitched your project?

Re: Mike Esola @ WME

Well, back in the day when Dogtown kept saying that on the one hand, managers were useless, but that on the other hand, top agents deleted queries without reading them, someone here responded that Mike Esola was known to actually read every single query he received.

So you've got nothin' to lose

Comment

I honestly don't think there's a "tip" or "trick" to a query. If someone reads it, they read it to see if they like what you're selling them, not how you're selling it. The logline stands on it's own. You can have a clever, personable yet professional, amazing pitch or attention catching subject line, but if your stuff sucks, or isn't what they're looking for right now, no amount of tricks nor treats will help. It'd be like trying to dress up a turd.

Anyway it never hurts to try, as I said in another thread....there's always that .01% chance that not only will someone read your query, but LIKE it, at least enough to offer a read. A chance is still a chance, no matter how slim it may be. No harm in trying to take it and hoping you're in that teeny percentile.

Comment

Might've been me - Mike requested 2 separate scripts from cold queries and passed on both after about 2-4 weeks.

email a great logline with genre and you have a chance...

He replied to both with "please send" and here's a copy/paste of his reply with title removed:

Ken

Thx for sending me XXXX XXX. I read last night and it's a bit too small for me to do anything with it. It's a simple story and well defined characters but I'd imagine it would be too difficult for me to sell to a studio considering they are looking for bigger canvases.

Thx again for letting me read.

Mike

Comment

Well on the positive side (and kudos to him for this), HE read it and didn't just pass it on to some trainee or intern.

Comment

Well on the positive side (and kudos to him for this), HE read it and didn't just pass it on to some trainee or intern.
            Not necessarily...he could be quoting off the coverage and probably is. HOWEVER, the fact that he requested it, took a chance AND responded speaks volumes about him. Not that I dislike agents, but most agents wouldn't do this. They simply don't have the time. Seems like a stand-up guy who also sells many specs...what more could you ask for?

Comment

I q'd him at the end of 09'. He responded directly with a pass because the subject matter was Vikings and Dicaprio and Mel Gibson were already planning one for this year.

I recently re-q'd him with it since DiCaprio left that project in the make of the Mel Gibson crap flying around lately.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, gang. Much appreciated....

Comment

Would anyone be willing to PM me Esola's email address? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Would it be possible for someone to pm Esola's e-mail address. It would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you do a little digging through past threads in this section, you can easily find it, guys. Don't be afraid of a little research.

Comment

See?

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=53767

Comment

Sorry. I should have dug a little deeper.

Comment

Anyone know who Mike's assistant / assistants are? If I end up sending an e-mail to 'em, I'd like to be able to at least put a proper name in there.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                              Anyone know who Mike's assistant / assistants are? If I end up sending an e-mail to 'em, I'd like to be able to at least put a proper name in there.

Thanks!
                              This is kinda like going to a bar, noticing a hot girl, and then deciding to buy drinks for all her ugly friends with the hopes that they'll put in a good word.

Just email Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X