Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
Grandmaster

Default How much do TV programmes sell for?

Finding figures to estimate a film's expected gain isn't too difficult - I could get a rough idea based on genre, budget and star/s (or lack of) for all of the major territories, but I can't seem to find any info of TV anywhere.

Obviously, some go for more than others, but if anyone has a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: How much do TV programmes sell for?

i don't know that they "sell" in the same way that a feature spec will. if a pilot is bought and eventually goes to series, there are "created by" fees that go to the creator per episode that is produced. if the creator is also on staff, they'll paid for their episode(s). Lowell or BDZ probably know the structure of the various creator-showrunner-writer payments more first-hand
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Pilot's generally sell for 150% of whatever the minimum is for an episode of that type of show. Check the MBA or preferably the Schedule of Minimums to figure it out for your series.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
Juno Styles

Would be interesting to know if the same TV structure in terms of how things are acquired apply to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon in regards to their original series.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Wes Tooke
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
Pilot's generally sell for 150% of whatever the minimum is for an episode of that type of show. Check the MBA or preferably the Schedule of Minimums to figure it out for your series.
Actually, the absolute minimum for a pilot is 150% of the minimum for a normal episode of that kind of show. A working writer with a quote -- or a project with any sort of heat -- is going to get more.
Wes Tooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno Styles View Post
Would be interesting to know if the same TV structure in terms of how things are acquired apply to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon in regards to their original series.
Acquisitions only matter to writers in terms of residuals, and they SUCK for streaming.

What I've heard is that streaming services pay more for originals they produce because there are usually no residuals for straight to streaming.

-Steve Trautmann

Last edited by KitchonaSteve : 02-02-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 02-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tooke View Post
Actually, the absolute minimum for a pilot is 150% of the minimum for a normal episode of that kind of show. A working writer with a quote -- or a project with any sort of heat -- is going to get more.
Yeah a track record can get you more, but I assumed the OP didn't have one.

And of course bidding wars are awesome but not that common.

Would love to talk to you about your experience on Colony.

-Steve Trautmann
Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

I am pretty sure based on the question above/below, that Grandmaster is asking about the bigger picture amount a TV series will make overall. Not the cost of a pilot script. I say that in particular since no one is selling "territories" for a script, so to speak. One would sell syndication rights to territories & networks, TV stations, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
Finding figures to estimate a film's expected gain isn't too difficult - I could get a rough idea based on genre, budget and star/s (or lack of) for all of the major territories, but I can't seem to find any info of TV anywhere.

Obviously, some go for more than others, but if anyone has a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.
Thus, I think what's actually being asked about is something a little more along the lines of the link I will list below. I don't even know if any the major players involved with a show truly know how much the show ever makes. The money coming in for syndication rights can obviously go for years, if not many years, for certain shows. It's almost never ending in some cases. One would have to ask the accounting department for the (TV) studio that produced the show to be accurate, most likely.

See if this will get you a little closer to an answer to your question:

http://www.spottedratings.com/2010/1...ion-deals.html

You'll have to do some math on your own to really figure out some kind of rough estimate as to how much money to date a show has brought in using some of the listed numbers. Though, even then I wouldn't use those numbers in court or even at a cocktail party, to be safe.

Here is a breakdown for SEINFELD, for example:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/break...d-economy.html

If you are simply asking "how much would a writer make from a pilot script" -- don't think in terms of territories -- and see if this info along with what the fine folks mentioned above helps:

https://www.writersstore.com/the-ins...-writer-deals/

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 02-03-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #9
JeffLowell

A pilot probably starts at around 50-75k for a new writer.

If you end up with sole "story by" on the pilot and it goes to series, you'll also get created by, which means a weekly royalty. Probably starts at... 5k?

Hopefully you'll also be asked to be on staff. Per episode at the beginning probably starts at 7500, and goes up from there.

You'll have bonuses built in if it goes multiple seasons, and those can be big. Hundreds of thousand to tens of millions, depending on the success of the show and profit definition.

And the weekly numbers should go up quickly as you rise on staff.

An established writer is probably looking at 150k plus for the pilot (up to 400, 500k), plus exec producer fees and royalties which could mean 50 to 100k per episode.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
Ronaldinho

A friend of mine sold a half-hour pilot to a broadcast network and I don't know the exact numbers but I think it was something in the ballpark of $90k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
Acquisitions only matter to writers in terms of residuals, and they SUCK for streaming.

What I've heard is that streaming services pay more for originals they produce because there are usually no residuals for straight to streaming.
This is wrong.

Streaming residuals generally suck for content that originates on other platforms. The writers get 1.2% of what the rights-holder is paid by the streaming service, but these fees are pretty low for most shows. The amount of money you end up getting is much less than it would have been in the age of multiple network reruns and heavy DVD sales.

Made for premium-SVOD content has a better residual structure, though. I don't know the exact percentages, but basically you get it on an annual basis - they have to pony up for the right to keep showing the show every year.

What you don't get from the premium SVOD services is PROFIT participation, since there's no way to define profit.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 02-07-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Removed errant code
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote