No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speccing and conflict with WGA

Hey all,

I was asked today to write two separate scripts on spec for two production companies. The timing was simply incredible: 5 minutes apart. There must be a cosmic conspiracy to squeeze my balls for no pay.

I am a member of the WGA, and I brought this up with both companies. The responses I got were of the hand-on-the-shoulder, "everybody does it" variety. Whereas the WGA was clearly not too impressed with the idea of my speccing for free, for a production company.

Details regarding both projects: company #1 said I would still own the script, but they would want a first look at it before I take it to other places since, obviously, it would be their concept.

company #2 said that it would not be in breach of WGA rules because I would write it for myself but "following their lead". I can understand following an exec's lead when you are being paid to do so... but doing it for free?!

I am wondering if any of you have written this sort of spec for a production company, whether you are WGA members, if that was an issue etc.

Thanks so much.

Travis Pickle

p.s. anyone want their script written for free? I will throw in a six-dollar burger as well.

Re: Speccing and conflict with WGA

Producers aren't signatories to the WGA. Only you can decide whether or not it's a good idea, but the guild has nothing to do with your decision.

(I'm assuming these are producers, not execs at a studio.)

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
      Hey all,

I was asked today to write two separate scripts on spec for two production companies.

p.s. anyone want their script written for free? I will throw in a six-dollar burger as well.
      How did you come to have these meetings? Did your agent/manager send you over as a hired gun? Did you meet these execs through networking and they thought you were a cool guy so they invited you over so they could pitch you their ideas?

What does your agent/manager advise?

There are a few blog posts I've read by ex-screenwriters-turned-novelists, and I seem to remember them saying they were in situations like this - where they were expected to write specs based on some execs (whim of an) idea - with no guarantee of payment whatsoever.
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
        Hey all,

I was asked today to write two separate scripts on spec for two production companies. The timing was simply incredible: 5 minutes apart. There must be a cosmic conspiracy to squeeze my balls for no pay.

I am a member of the WGA, and I brought this up with both companies. The responses I got were of the hand-on-the-shoulder, "everybody does it" variety. Whereas the WGA was clearly not too impressed with the idea of my speccing for free, for a production company.

Details regarding both projects: company #1 said I would still own the script, but they would want a first look at it before I take it to other places since, obviously, it would be their concept.

company #2 said that it would not be in breach of WGA rules because I would write it for myself but "following their lead". I can understand following an exec's lead when you are being paid to do so... but doing it for free?!

I am wondering if any of you have written this sort of spec for a production company, whether you are WGA members, if that was an issue etc.

Thanks so much.

Travis Pickle

I don't know whether to congratulate you or feel sorry for you :-) What a messed-up business this is.

Comment

Oof.

I don't know if I've ever heard a story about free work that had a happy ending.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            Oof.

I don't know if I've ever heard a story about free work that had a happy ending.
            http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/warn...-need-is-kill/

Not saying the op should write a spec for producers, but here is a happy ending.
            https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

That's cool. I loved that script. Didn't realize it had that kind of a creation story.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I think the three questions to keep in mind are:

Do I love the idea?
                How credible are the producers?
                What happens to the script if it doesn't sell?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                  I think the three questions to keep in mind are:

Do I love the idea?
                  How credible are the producers?
                  What happens to the script if it doesn't sell?
                  This is very on point.

A lot of newer writers are working with producers on spec. It's become way more common.

If you love it
                  If the producers are unequivocally legit
                  All you need to do is ask them directly, "let's say this doesn't go, am I free and clear with this script?"

Comment

No legit producer asks a writer to create an entire script for free. Rewrites, touch-ups? That goes on. But an entire script from page one with said producers haranguing you with notes, etc? Not only is it not done by pro writers, it is against Guild rules.

You can make your own choice. Maybe you're just burning to write it - in which case, I'd let them know you're going to write the script you want to write and you'll let them (and other producers) look at it when you're done.

The one question I have is: how much does anyone value something offered for free?

Comment

I have and am speccing for producers. I'm not a WGA member. They're legit dudes. I'm led to believe this is pretty common for baby-writers without a track record and still trying to break-in.

When you're speccing you're technically writing out of your own accord not because someone is instructing you to. It's the same scenario as when you spec your own ideas or something you ran by with your manager first: you're writing a story that you have a hard-on for, will retain ownership of, and will hopefully sell. It's just that when you're speccing for a producer there is already a champion in place ready to slip it to all the right places -- as opposed to hustling on your own to find someone to give it the time of day. But retaining ownership if it doesn't sell is the important thing.

What I understand is that producers don't typically hold money to pay writers. They need completed scripts to shop around -- scripts that they are confident with. Getting paid before commencement usually comes from assignments or pre-sold concepts. I think...

Comment

Listen to Lowell and BDZ. Don't listen to anyone else here.

Speccing off a producer's idea is currently common and has been fruitful for plenty of young writers, including a couple people on this board -- LINE OF SIGHT and CATEGORY 6, two big spec sales last year, originated in exactly this way.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I loved the idea unreservedly and retained ownership of the script if the producers passed and the producers had a major track record and I didn't have anything else going on.

Comment

Originally posted by tookee View Post
                          No legit producer asks a writer to create an entire script for free. Rewrites, touch-ups? That goes on. But an entire script from page one with said producers haranguing you with notes, etc? Not only is it not done by pro writers, it is against Guild rules.

You can make your own choice. Maybe you're just burning to write it - in which case, I'd let them know you're going to write the script you want to write and you'll let them (and other producers) look at it when you're done.

The one question I have is: how much does anyone value something offered for free?
                          That is 100% wrong. Every major producer in town is always looking for writers to write scripts for them on spec.
                          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                            Oof.

I signed clients that wrote a script on spec for major producers and sold it to the studio for six figures.

Best,

Michael
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Jeff- they are execs at production companies. One company is well-known, the other is not (but has a lot of $, which makes the ball-squeeze even more puzzling)

I check with the WGA and they are not signatories. But they have various agreements with the guild.

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                              Producers aren't signatories to the WGA. Only you can decide whether or not it's a good idea, but the guild has nothing to do with your decision.

(I'm assuming these are producers, not execs at a studio.)

Comment

Working...
                              X