No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Greenlight Season 4

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
    Not too fond of Effie. She is causing drama all the time, sort of passive aggressively, always on the verge of crying, not handling unexpected things very well(you would think a producer should be able to do this), always indignant, has no artistic sense whatsoever etc.
    But I suppose that is good for the show, just not for the movie they are making. "The Leisure Class" seems to be a very interesting movie though.
    Exactly! OMG! Just watched the latest episode. Effie has two modes; passive aggressive and aggressive. I feel sorry for Jason and the entire crew having to deal with her day in and day out. I can't believe the way she is not only sabotaging the stunt, but the entire shoot. She's had a bee in her bonnet from day one. How she is still working in this industry I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
      I couldn't help but imagine the poor actor's face when they told him he was out of the film because they didn't want someone black playing the limo driver.
      Absolutely! Isn't that racial discrimination? Effie, by attempting to be less discriminatory, is creating situations that cause discrimination against the people she is trying not to discriminate against. Does that make sense? A lot of discrimination going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
        I couldn't help but imagine the poor actor's face when they told him he was out of the film because they didn't want someone black playing the limo driver.
        even when Effie was talking about "No people of colour in the dinner scene" I was counting "colourful" people. There were three in one shot, all seated, none serving food or sweeping the floors.
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
          even when Effie was talking about "No people of colour in the dinner scene" I was counting "colourful" people. There were three in one shot, all seated, none serving food or sweeping the floors.
          In fairness, though, the cast is very white. And I totally get what she's saying in regards to seeing a black servant-type character in contrast to that.

Comment

I'm really loving the show and yet it is so difficult to watch lol.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
              I'm really loving the show and yet it is so difficult to watch lol.
              It's that same feeling you get when you watch The Office or Extras. Real awkward moments.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                In fairness, though, the cast is very white. And I totally get what she's saying in regards to seeing a black servant-type character in contrast to that.
                But the fact is that the low cost labor of POC is constantly exploited by the very white, very wealthy 1%. It's a reflection of their privilege and isolation from changing norms. To distort that reality through casting choices actually does a disservice to the story and hides a troubling issue. Imagine if the producer of The Wire had said "I don't want black people negatively portrayed as drug dealers." (yes, I'm aware this film probably doesn't share the social ambitions of that project).

Still, I think films and television work best when they honestly reflect a highly problematic reality rather than pretending we're living in an idealised, utopian vision of how society should be. There are fantastic shows by and about POC which still manage to adhere to the former.

Comment

Totally agree.

Comment

Going to go against the grain on this thread and say I'm team Effie. Regarding the film vs. digital debate - I didn't see Jason doing anything dramatic with the lighting, film processing, or story that necessitated color film.

Now if he was shooting B&W I might understand it a bit more because that's a fairly noticeable difference. Obviously I haven't seen the movie so I might change my mind - but every shot in the trailer could have been lit and looked the exact same way shooting digitally. In my opinion Jason should have gone digital and used the extra time/money towards the car crash scene. I've seen more dynamic accidents on my childhood Hot Wheels track.

And I get why Effie was pissed regarding the Peter Farrelly situation, because she had already had that EXACT same conversation and "digital field trip" with Jason. Not only was it was unnecessary wheel-spinning, but it undermined her role on the film. It's like that shitty moment when you pitch an idea to crickets - then ten seconds later a dude pitches the EXACT same thing and the room goes nuts with approval. I've seen it happen (more than once) and it sucks big donkey balls.

Another thing I really like about Effie is how she brings inclusion to the crew, since the script obviously didn't allow much in regards to casting. The problem is too many people think the "best person for the job" is the "best person who is the most like me." Which leads to a lot of white dudes on set in baseballs caps. I don't think it's intentional or evil, but it happens and it shuts a lot of very talented people out.

Right now "The Leisure Class" seems neither here nor there - sort of a tepid version of Wes Anderson. Looking forward to watching it though and giving it a fair chance to prove me wrong.

Comment

I think this season was much more interesting in the beginning when they were developing the script, etc. Of course, that's the screenwriter in me talking.

Comment

Here's an article on Jason in the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-has-to-say/

Particularly interesting Q&A about the location issue:

Do you think you bear any responsibility for the way things turned out during production? Especially with regard to picking a location at the last minute? That really seemed to set off a domino effect when it came to everything else — from permits for night shooting to how much time the production designer had to dress the set.

"What they have right now in the show — this is kind of a complicated thing — but what they have right now in the show is the first meeting about locations and I decline them all and encourage us to find something else. What they don’t show is that we found some great locations and I was really excited about them.

I was encouraging us to film in Connecticut, where the film is actually set, but we did find some houses in Los Angeles and one of them was probably going to work out. Effie loved this place as well. We were both really happy with it. But they had one day that they were having a wedding during our dates and we couldn’t use the house on that day, and we already had such a short schedule that was going to be a problem, so we had someone who knew the homeowners go in and negotiate with them to see if something could be worked out. When they came back from the negotiations, the homeowners told us, “Okay, you can have it, but it’ll be $1 million.” Way, way beyond our price range [one-third of the film’s budget]. We had been pursuing this location for such a long time, and then suddenly it dropped out and we were left with having to be forced to go with a location that was somewhat subpar and required us to do a lot more heavy lifting in the way that we shot the movie. But in the show they make it look like I was procrastinating on the decision to do this and in my mind, that’s a pretty different kind of allegation against a filmmaker because being decisive is a pretty important trait really, especially when you’re dealing with time pressures and all of that. They really do run with an entirely different representation of the facts."

Comment

Ah, reality TV.

I really don't think I need all the tricky editing and narrative creation to stay interested, but they probably think the average audience member does.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                            Ah, reality TV.

I really don't think I need all the tricky editing and narrative creation to stay interested, but they probably think the average audience member does.
                            Yep, I'd love an honest portrayal and wouldn't find that boring at all.

I imagine it's tough for people to participate in a reality show, both Effie and Jason, and then see creative edits which amplify drama so people will tune in.

But I think - I hope - most people get it. They understand stuff is edited out. They know there is a bit of creative manipulation involved.

One thing that I liked was watching the actors ad lib and I genuinely cracked up, so I'm actually looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Comment

Did anyone else here see the finished product (LEISURE CLASS) on HBO? I thought it was terrible. Boring with a tone that was all over the place and scenes that went on way too long. Also, no characters that I cared about. Just shows that everyone was right (including Effie) and Jason should have paid more attention to the script and character development than worrying about film versus digital, that the car stunt/crash was not big enough, whether an actor was squinting in a shot, etc.

Interesting in the interviews after all was said and done that Damon, Affleck and the HBO guy all basically said that Jason got the movie that he wanted, but they didn't sound very thrilled about it. I don't know if Jason has a future as a director, but he definitely needs to become a better writer.

Comment

Is the series over? I fell asleep during the last episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X