No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here's a new one... -UNTILED RANT-

Originally posted by Friday View Post
    Odds are I probably know this person. I think I suspect who it is, but like I said in the ex thread, I am not going to go snooping around. Mostly because I want Gucci to be able to vent, without worrying about people prying into his private matters.

My biggest question isn't really the identity, but how did this argument even come about? Why was he suddenly talking down to you? I am not even clear on what the argument is concerning.
    Sorry if I'm slamming on your friend and not giving enough info (gotta protect myself, kinda), but, ya know, sometimes people deserve it [being slammed for wrong/self-serving info presented to writer hopefuls working their fukkin asses off as fact].

I'd respect someone a hell of a lot more if they call you and your reps clueless idiots, then when you politely provide intel (paperwork via legit players) that proves otherwise and they're like "Ahhh...gotcha, I was mistaken."

But first off, in a convo, why be rude and pompous? The answer is obvious to me. Pandering to his desperate fans. I have no fans, so I'm not pandering to anyone. I'm just being REAL.

This dude is so up his own ass that he didn't realize he was inadvertently talking sh!t on his own friends. EGO! Who he knows is WAY above me (in his mind), how could I possibly know the same fancy people he knows. Bruh, I do. 20 years. That's EXACTLY who I'm referring to as doing business the way I described. Further more, most of them have HIT MOVIES/TV SHOWS under their belts. He has exactly ZERO! (even dumbass me has sold an Oscar/Globe nod film, I've been in the hot seat and DONE it [scrambled, strategized on a deal that was looking like it was dead], not just speculated about what it takes to do it).

...again, I'm loser. But I've done it and know what that skill IS in real life (i.e. hella PERSUASION by going HARD. Risking EVERYTHING for the client, fukking EVERYTHING!). He's never been in the situation to ***PROTECT*** a writer from the machine attempting to devour them FOR FREE or close to. Likely why he doesn't GET what the fukk I'm saying. Kook! He's a predator.

I can't say what exactly the "debate" was nor why or where it happened. Not super relevant. Let's just say the crux was about how the industry functions FOR REAL. And he said, essentially, that people who operate that way are utterly incompetent and do NOT understand the actualities of the industry. In a rude condescending manner.

HA! You fukking clown. These are A-listers. Fukk you talking about? He's never sold ****. Never! (If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected and will take it on the chin and admit I'm wrong.)

Just... interesting to me that this blowhard was so arrogant that he inadvertently talked sh!t on A-list folks (his fancy friends) not realizing that that's EXACTLY who I was referring to as navigating this town in the way I proposed as being FACTUAL.

TRUTH... The moment I mentioned names I'm certain he was like "Oh ****, maybe this dude knows what the fukk he's talking about... GHOST!!!" Why else would he ghost after a long debate where he believes he's winning? Bruh, I'm a writer, I see right through his MOTIVE.

I used to sorta respect this idiot for certain sh!t, but now, zero respect. Not that he cares (he's rich-ish), but I'll shred him in a debate about the TRUTH. Here's the thing, he needs an audience, I don't. I'd happily have this convo (aka brutal debate) over the phone mono y mono.

Wide open offer if this idiot can figure out who I am... pretty easy... (I'll sign an NDA you fukkin kook)

My interest is one thing and one thing only -- PROTECTING THE WRITER -- from people like this.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
      Robert McKee?
      Ha! No. Not him. But, good guess.
      Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I know who it is. Never had a good vibe from him.

Blake Snyder, on the other hand, was a blast in real life. I don't really follow his method, but I knew him the last couple of years of his life and he was hysterical. I had a friend who really despised his whole method. She taught screenwriting at an Art Academy in SF at the time and thought she was "above" Save the Cat! I bought Blake's book for her as a gag gift and he insisted on signing it. When I looked at what he wrote, I lost it. We both laughed so hard we cried. It said: Dear X, Drink the Kool-Aid! Love, Blake Snyder.

Moral of the story -- if they don't have a sense of humor about things, then f--- them.

Comment

My guess for Blake was to make fun of the fact that he's often the most picked on person I see in "gurus suck" and "this book sucks" and he is the only one that comes to mind who actually did the thing. Did the job. Made money. And I personally liked his books and he seemed fun. I was very sad to learn he died as I was excited to see what else he came up with.

Sure he came out with a book to help writers and himself make money. That's okay. I don't think he was hiding that fact.

Some people are great coaches/teachers. They can't do the job themselves, but they can teach it. But those are few and far between.

Screenwriting (hell writing) feels very much the type of job you have to learn from another pro. Imagine if doctors didn't learn directly from other doctors and actually doing the job?

Comment

I figured it out... it was the barista at Coffee Bean. Gucci got to calm down man. I told you that Kenneth was a fake a$$ bitch and wasn't really a guru.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              My guess for Blake was to make fun of the fact that he's often the most picked on person I see in "gurus suck" and "this book sucks" and he is the only one that comes to mind who actually did the thing. Did the job. Made money. And I personally liked his books and he seemed fun. I was very sad to learn he died as I was excited to see what else he came up with.

Sure he came out with a book to help writers and himself make money. That's okay. I don't think he was hiding that fact.

Some people are great coaches/teachers. They can't do the job themselves, but they can teach it. But those are few and far between.

Screenwriting (hell writing) feels very much the type of job you have to learn from another pro. Imagine if doctors didn't learn directly from other doctors and actually doing the job?
              i know some pros criticize "gurus," but i have to say, i disagree with them. maybe writing was an easy path for them. it's not an easy path for everyone, or even most writers. it's ****ing hard, and to suggest that those who teach can't write, is an unfair assessment of someone's abilities. if they wrote a book, they've proven they can write. i also feel it's unfair to criticize something as invalid when you've never taken the time to read it.

some writers need structure and genre explained in a way that they can apply it to their own writing. Blake Snyder and others do that, and do it well. they are worthy reads, imo. Even McKee, which seems overly complicated, in my opinion, has thousands of industry followers (at all levels not just writers) that have taken his class and apply his teachings.

i use his beat sheet for every story i break. i also love The Hero's Two Journeys with Vogler and Hague-- inspiring stuff that demystifies archetypes and internal conflict. i consider several paradigms when i write. i use many beats of The Hero's Journey (archetypes) in every story i write.

the thing about The Hero's Journey as a structure paradigm is that we innately know story. how many stories have a moment when the hero is reluctant? many. and of the ones where the hero is ready for the call, how many have a secondary character tell the hero, it's a dangerous mission? several.

we know things must get worse in order for the character to change his ways.

some people learn better by examples. therefore some writers benefit from books. some people understand what is a good story. film critics don't write films but their opinion is considered before some people with go to a movie, why? because you can understand a thing without having the expertise to produce it. our entire lives are about telling stories, we all understand them. it's not something that is exclusive to "writers."

my untiled rant is done.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Ok, i just have to play. Could 2 of his initials have written THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA?

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  i know some pros criticize "gurus," but i have to say, i disagree with them. maybe writing was an easy path for them. it's not an easy path for everyone, or even most writers. it's ****ing hard, and to suggest that those who teach can't write, is an unfair assessment of someone's abilities. if they wrote a book, they've proven they can write. i also feel it's unfair to criticize something as invalid when you've never taken the time to read it.

some writers need structure and genre explained in a way that they can apply it to their own writing. Blake Snyder and others do that, and do it well. they are worthy reads, imo. Even McKee, which seems overly complicated, in my opinion, has thousands of industry followers (at all levels not just writers) that have taken his class and apply his teachings.

i use his beat sheet for every story i break. i also love The Hero's Two Journeys with Vogler and Hague-- inspiring stuff that demystifies archetypes and internal conflict. i consider several paradigms when i write. i use many beats of The Hero's Journey (archetypes) in every story i write.

the thing about The Hero's Journey as a structure paradigm is that we innately know story. how many stories have a moment when the hero is reluctant? many. and of the ones where the hero is ready for the call, how many have a secondary character tell the hero, it's a dangerous mission? several.

some people learn better by examples. therefore some writers benefit from books. some people understand what is a good story. film critics don't write films but their opinion is considered before some people with go to a movie, why? because you can understand a thing without having the expertise to produce it. our entire lives are about telling stories, we all understand them. it's not something that is exclusive to "writers."

my untiled rant is done.
                  I feel you on this. I didn't go to school for screenwriting (like I suspect a lot of others in this community didn't) and I totally credit reading Syd Field for really giving me a solid grasp of the fundamentals. When he was alive would I have shelled out cash for one of his seminars? Probably not. But his book was totally my 101 class.

Then again, I know folks who can't stand his book. To your point, different teaching methods appeal to different people.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                    I know who it is. Never had a good vibe from him.

Blake Snyder, on the other hand, was a blast in real life. I don't really follow his method, but I knew him the last couple of years of his life and he was hysterical. I had a friend who really despised his whole method. She taught screenwriting at an Art Academy in SF at the time and thought she was "above" Save the Cat! I bought Blake's book for her as a gag gift and he insisted on signing it. When I looked at what he wrote, I lost it. We both laughed so hard we cried. It said: Dear X, Drink the Kool-Aid! Love, Blake Snyder.

Moral of the story -- if they don't have a sense of humor about things, then f--- them.
                    Ha! Funny story. I read Save the Cat and enjoyed it. That's my barometer "did I enjoy the read"? Yes? Then it was good book. I have nothing bad to say about Blake. I was sad to learn of his passing. I felt he was one of the good guys, and most of all, he was legit. He's done "THE THING".

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                      Ok, i just have to play. Could 2 of his initials have written THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA?
                      For the record I can't say. Really wish I could. Although, maybe I can hint. Nah! Kinda rhymes with... Lemme start over. In other words... Never mind.

Let's just say... Everyone looks up to this d!ck, except me. On the other hand, no one seems to get what a fraud this dude is. And that's a shame. Really it is. Dude is a crook IMO.

Follow? ;-)

However I will deny...

Comment

💀

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

my untiled rant is done.
                          True-ish...

But...

...This thread is not about advice as to HOW TO WRITE, this is about someone 'tiling' me HOW THE BUSINESS OPERATES and being wrong.

IMO, if you've never made a deal (on your own work or others), don't talk down to me about how deals are made. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                            I figured it out... it was the barista at Coffee Bean. Gucci got to calm down man. I told you that Kenneth was a fake a$$ bitch and wasn't really a guru.
                            Ha! Fukkin Kenneth...

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                              💀

Comment

No idea who this person is.

On the topic of screenwriting books I'll say the most entertaining is the one by Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant. Not saying it's the best but it was the most fun. I also liked Save The Cat, Syd Field's, and Story. Lew Hunter's was my least favorite

Comment

Working...
                                X