No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: La La Land

Originally posted by sallain View Post
    I didn't love it. Since I seemed to be the only one, I wondered if it was because I had a headache, was in a bad mood, etc. I felt like it was two different films: a zany musical comedy that turned into a relationship drama. I really liked the first two-thirds but then it took a shift in tone I really wasn't expecting.
    totally intentional. the first half is the "dream" of Mia and Sebastian to fall in love. the musical numbers are fantastical and they are swept up in the romance, because they haven't achieved their creative goals yet

second half is the "reality" of what it takes and what sacrifices have to be made to achieve the other dream of being a successful actor or musician. no more production numbers (until the final "what if" epilogue). the reality is never as enticing as the dream, but it is the only thing that anyone is ever truly stuck with.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      totally intentional. the first half is the "dream"....
      second half is the "reality"
      Another LA LA LAND fan explained the same thing to me and I get it, but I guess I'd rather have the fantasy than the reality when it comes to entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
        Another LA LA LAND fan explained the same thing to me and I get it, but I guess I'd rather have the fantasy than the reality when it comes to entertainment.
        that's the whole point of the movie and Mia and Sebastian's relationship. you don't always get to have it all.

Comment

Another film that nobody wanted to make. Chazelle had to shelve it, create WHIPLASH and see it become successful before this could get made. And now LA LA LAND looks set to sweep the Oscars.

Comment

Originally posted by juunit View Post
            Another film that nobody wanted to make. Chazelle had to shelve it, create WHIPLASH and see it become successful before this could get made.
            Is there a problem with this? Would Stone and Gosling have signed on to a musical from a first time feature director? Whiplash gave him the resume to attract top talent and he's probably a far better director on LLL having made Whiplash than he would have been without Whiplash.

Comment

that's the whole point of the movie and Mia and Sebastian's relationship. you don't always get to have it all.
              This. Ultimately, each character *got what they wanted,* it just wasn't each other. That, and it's the journey of the romance, in addition to the creative life. Life is bittersweet sometimes. In addition to making a profitable musical (in 2016!!), getting away with a non-Hollywood ending (where they *don't* end up together) was Chazelle's other triumph

Comment

Finally caught up with this movie and really enjoyed it. The blending of traditional and modern was very well done and the performances were terrific.

The only negative for me was that it dragged in places and could have lost 20 to 30 minutes to tighten it up.
                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Saw this today in a theater with only seven other nice, quiet, movie-loving people. Thought it was great, an homage to the films of yesteryear meeting present day cinephiles' expectations.

As for cutting it to lose "20 to 30 minutes to tighten it up," I say no to that. Would you "tighten it up" where the music slows in Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"?

Like music, it's the pauses and swells that give this movie its wonderful and fantastic rhythm and pace. I sincerely hope the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences recognizes many categories from this film with nominations, if not more.
                  “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                    As for cutting it to lose "20 to 30 minutes to tighten it up," I say no to that. Would you "tighten it up" where the music slows in Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"?
                    No, but they are not films and they don't have any padding.

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                      No, but they are not films and they don't have any padding.
                      there is no padding in La La Land. every scene is essential to the story.

Comment

there is no padding in La La Land. every scene is essential to the story.
                        Your opinion, Joe. For me, it dragged at times, which was a shame as it was terrific movie that could have been even better.

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                          Your opinion, Joe. For me, it dragged at times, which was a shame as it was terrific movie that could have been even better.
                          great minds think alike

http://deadline.com/2017/01/oscar-no...es-1201893000/

Comment

While using Oscar nominations to indicate the quality of a movie is dubious at best, I do agree La La Land is going to win bigly this year.

Comment

Hollywood loved a film about Hollywood? Shocker.

Oscar noms, or sometimes wins, aren't indicative of greatness. A lot of those films don't stand the test of time e.g. Argo.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                                Oscar noms, or sometimes wins, aren't indicative of greatness. A lot of those films don't stand the test of time e.g. Argo.
                                and sometimes they are, e.g., a shitload of other great winners

Comment

Working...
                                X