Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of slugs

Are these slugs okay or do you have a better suggestion?

If we are in the back part of an ambulance, is it

INT. AMBULANCE CABIN - DAY

Or

INT. BACK OF AN AMBULANCE - DAY

What is the correct slug for the front part of an ambulance where the driver sits?

I thought that would be the cabin, but Google shows the back part when asked.

Also in an ambulance (or anywhere else) but a bit deeper

INT. AMY'S BODY BAG - DAY

How about the usage of binoculars. The classic would be

THROUGH BINOCULARS

What if you have two or more in a scene with binoculars - would you use

THROUGH MIKE'S BINOCULARS

Same question with the use of a camera, would you use

THROUGH CAMERA

Or

THROUGH CAMERA LENS

Re: A couple of slugs

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
    If we are in the back part of an ambulance, is it

INT. AMBULANCE CABIN - DAY

Or

INT. BACK OF AN AMBULANCE - DAY

What is the correct slug for the front part of an ambulance where the driver sits?

I thought that would be the cabin, but Google shows the back part when asked.

Also in an ambulance (or anywhere else) but a bit deeper

How about the usage of binoculars. The classic would be

THROUGH BINOCULARS

What if you have two or more in a scene with binoculars - would you use

THROUGH MIKE'S BINOCULARS

Same question with the use of a camera, would you use

THROUGH CAMERA

Or

THROUGH CAMERA LENS
    For the rear you could use REAR OF AMBULANCE or PATIENT CABIN or STRETCHER CABIN etc. The front would be DRIVER'S CAB.

INT. AMY'S BODY BAG - DAY suggests the camera/viewer is in the body bag. Maybe you mean ANGLE ON AMY'S BODY BAG as a mini slug?

THROUGH BINOCULARS is fine, and you could use THROUGH CAMERA or CAMERA VIEWFINDER. As always just aim for keeping it simple and clear.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
      INT. AMY'S BODY BAG - DAY suggests the camera/viewer is in the body bag. Maybe you mean ANGLE ON AMY'S BODY BAG as a mini slug?
      Cool, thanks.

My character is inside of a body bag, tries to escape from quarantine, so

would be the right one?

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
      THROUGH BINOCULARS is fine, and you could use THROUGH CAMERA or CAMERA VIEWFINDER. As always just aim for keeping it simple and clear.
      Is there a way to define (word meaning) between the old-fashioned camera that had no video function, just photos, and the new ones that do both video and photos?

When I Google it, I come up always with "camera,- regardless for what I search for.

Comment

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
        Cool, thanks.

My character is inside of a body bag, tries to escape from quarantine, so

would be the right one?
        If the camera's in there with her, yes.

Is there a way to define (word meaning) between the old-fashioned camera that had no video function, just photos, and the new ones that do both video and photos?
        If we see the camera elsewhere in the scene we'd know, or call it something like a sixties stills camera, or an optical viewfinder.
        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

I'd call it a still camera.

Comment

The front of an ambulance (for the driver) is the cab (as per DavidK), and the back of the ambulance is known as the body. So, if it were my decision, I would use either “ambulance body,” or to be most clear, just plain old “ambulance.” The connotation of the word “ambulance” is where the medical action takes place, not the driving, which is a given. If you introduce us to a “body bag in an ambulance,” everyone's going to know it's not sitting up front in the driver's seat.

As for the interior of a body bag, if you've ever been in a body bag that's zipped up, you'd know that it's pitch black in there. I'd suggest the slug “BLACK” and Action description of her V.O. and the sounds she hears. Intercut that with action taking place in the ambulance. That way the reader/audience soon figures out that the character is in the body bag. Think of it as generating audience participation in the scene, even in that small way and amount, so that they know they must pay attention and put forth some mental effort to keep up with the story, thereby holding their interest.

Asking for a camera setup on the inside of a body bag with enough light by which to see the character is an illogical and unrealistic shot request, IMHO.

Use Joan Easley's “still camera” reference.

A still camera may be either a film camera or a digital camera, antique or modern. The fact that many models of digital still cameras also have the ability to capture in a digital video format is only an added feature of today's technology. When a still image is captured while shooting video, the still image is the size of the video format (Ex.: 16:9 widescreen or 1920x1080 HD) but always only at a 72 dpi resolution, whereas the still camera function may have settings that allow for greater resolution, such as 480 dpi, at a 4:3 aspect ratio or other, even wider ratios all thanks to digital technology.

A true digital video camera is dedicated primarily to that task, but again thanks to today's technology, it can render a still image as well, but generally only in the aspect ratio of the video format selected (i.e., 16x9, 1920x1080, 2K, 4K, etc.), and always only at 72 dpi, which is the maximum resolution required of images — moving or still — for video production to television or computer screens.
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-11-2017, 04:48 AM.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
              I'd call it a still camera.
              Thanks, I must admit it, I never heard of that one.

In my language, we have a specific meaning for it, which in pure translation sounds like - Photo device.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                As for the interior of a body bag, if you've ever been in a body bag that's zipped up, you'd know that it's pitch black in there. I'd suggest the slug "BLACK- and Action description of her V.O. and the sounds she hears. Intercut that with action taking place in the ambulance. That way the reader/audience soon figures out that the character is in the body bag.
                Thanks for your input; I will combine it with what I already have finished.

There is light in both body bags (for the most of the drive) because both, mother and daughter use their cell phones to recall their memories of those who they've lost in the incident that caused the quarantine, which they now try to escape.

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                The front of an ambulance (for the driver) is the cab (as per DavidK), and the back of the ambulance is known as the body. So, if it were my decision, I would use either "ambulance body,- or to be most clear, just plain old "ambulance.-
                So, for the front part (I found this on Google books)

INT. AMBULANCE CAB - or I/E. AMBULANCE CAB

And the back part, simply INT. AMBULANCE - DAY.

Comment

Working...
                X