Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #141
DaltWisney

Default Re: My Black List Experience

I think comedies tend to do relatively poorly on both the BL and in contests. I'm pretty sure when the BL released data in their first year or two, the comedy genre had one of the lowest average scores. I think stuff like drama tends to score a little higher on average.

I'm not super familiar with Nicholl winners, but I've read maybe 5 or 6 of the finalists over the years. That's not a big enough sample size to mean anything, but none of them were outright comedies. They were a mixture of dramas and thrillers.

I think comedy tends to be very subjective whereas thrillers will generally play well across any audience as long as they're well-crafted. So I would say in a competition where your goal is to survive a gamut of many judges, having something that plays well universally will give you a much higher chance of hitting the target than something risky.

OTOH, I wouldn't deviate from my preferred genre or voice just to placate some contest judges. I think that sticking with your general comfort zone is the best approach.
DaltWisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #142
Friday

For the BL, these contests and fellowships....what are good lengths for feature scripts and TV pilots these days? Maybe genres like thrillers, for instance. I keep hearing the page count dropping. I heard an interview with a higher up from Nicholl who was thrilled at hearing a 72 page script, but I thought she was joking.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #143
Jai Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolante View Post
Shia LeBeouf's script that sold recently has a lot of 9s and 10s.
I saw 22 paid ratings, all 8s or higher. Has anyone got their grubby hands on it?
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #144
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
...I heard an interview with a higher up from Nicholl who was thrilled at hearing a 72 page script, but I thought she was joking.
In Amazon Studio's open submission system, for features they won't even take anything under 85, according to their FAQ.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #145
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
In Amazon Studio's open submission system, for features they won't even take anything under 85, according to their FAQ.
What's a good range for thrillers? Is 90 pages too short?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #146
Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltWisney View Post
I think comedy tends to be very subjective whereas thrillers will generally play well across any audience as long as they're well-crafted. So I would say in a competition where your goal is to survive a gamut of many judges, having something that plays well universally will give you a much higher chance of hitting the target than something risky.
I have a different theory about this.

I think comedies are hurt by the speed at which people tend to read when they're reading for contests or the BL. I think most readers can blaze through a thriller in an hour and fundamentally get it, but if you do that with a comedy you miss a lot of the humor.

I don't think this problem is exclusive to contests, mind you. I think it's part of the reason why comedy is so siloed: a studio doesn't trust itself to understand what's funny, but they know that if Judd Apatow/Lorne Michaels/Paul Fieg says its funny, then it must be.

But from my own experience reading, I know that I have to slow down when I'm reading a comedy. I have to give the humor space to breathe.

That being said, I also think that fewer people understand what a comedy set piece is than understand what an action set piece is.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #147
cvolante

I think comedies have a lot to do with the actors and the timing and the expressions. I can read a comedy script and think it's ridiculously stupid and then really enjoy the movie.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #148
nguyensquared
User

A bit off-topic but are we allowed to solicit reads from any DDP Industry Members to our scripts on the site?

After getting an 8 with a script, I'm planning to leverage the attention by putting up another project that has more immediate consideration.
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #149
Pardack
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolante View Post
I can read a comedy script and think it's ridiculously stupid and then really enjoy the movie.
This is the scariest quote I think I've ever read on this board. :/

#TryinSoHardOnThePage...
Pardack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #150
sallain
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyensquared View Post
A bit off-topic but are we allowed to solicit reads from any DDP Industry Members to our scripts on the site?
Yes.
sallain is offline   Reply With Quote