Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #131
SundownInRetreat

Default Re: Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
When I was six years old, I found Superman 78 dull, and I was a smart six-year-old. I wouldn't have seen MOS if the filmmakers rehashed the camp.
Wha--? You didn't like Superman the Movie? Talk about a bolt from the blue.
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #132
karsten

Default Re: Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
And I'm not talking about "camp" or "corniness" - I'm talking about a fun element. AVENGERS had it. The first IRON MAN did, too. This movie didn't.
But what I'm getting at is how hopelessly subjective "fun" is.

I didn't derive any fun whatsoever from either of those movies, and I certainly don't consider them serious films. They are indeed pretty campy (Iron Man doing his MacGyver bit when reconstructing his power source, and Loki with his Tyrant Lite routine).

On the other hand, since I've appealed to the box office to support my hope for more superhero films in the serious vein, I can't deny that the good box office for those movies means that there will likely be more superhero movies in that style too.

And that's all for the good. Those who prefer the less serious style can see those films, and those who prefer the more serious approach -- which I consider to be more fun -- can see those.

Last edited by karsten : 07-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.
karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #133
Jules

Our film experiences are greatest when we're young, don't underestimate children, man of steel would be a wonderful experience for any kid.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #134
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
Just my opinion, but I think 6 is young to be taking any kid to an action-superhero film in the theater
I was 6 when I watched Jaws and Jaws 2 at the cinema. 8 when I watched An American Werewolf in London (VHS) and 9 when I watched The Thing on VHS.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #135
ATB

I was 8 when my grandmother took me to see Jurassic Park. Single most defining moment of my childhood.

She said I sang the theme song for like 2 weeks. When I told her I was acting and writing, she said, "What about music too?"

God, I love her.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #136
stainjm

Maybe the six year olds are the ones giving it the good reviews?
stainjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #137
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainjm View Post
Maybe the six year olds are the ones giving it the good reviews?
Genuine laugh out loud. And spat my tea all over the screen.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #138
Jules

I'm surprised they let you take the kid in, was pretty intense in places, though I guess they're not the censors.

I think this film could be overly intense for some young children and leave them unsettled, but that may be part of the experience.

I don't know how kids see the screen behind the person in front of them, I'm often contending with the back of someone's head and I'm not short at all.

Btw, the scene at the end, fantastic.

Znyder's a great director, I hope this sets the tone for the other justice league character movies.

I hope they reboot green lantern rather than continue with Reynold's version, which seems like it wanted to be a Marvel movie.

Maybe best to just focus on a few of the JL characters and leave him out of it until a possible next one and then reboot.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #139
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

I cleared a few posts out of this thread that drifted into rather uncivil discussion. If people want to talk about the film itself and the story, then great. But if you feel the need to argue back and forth about who should or shouldn't do this or question how people run their private lives, then please go elsewhere for that. I'm sure there are plenty of "great" forums & sites out there for bashing one another about subjects like that along with discussions of religion and politics.

While you're here though, please be supportive, helpful, patient, civil and understanding with each other, even though I know it's not always that easy. But please try.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #140
Madbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I cleared a few posts of this thread that drifted into rather uncivil discussion. If people want to talk about the film itself and the story, then great. But if you feel the need to argue back and forth about who should or shouldn't do this or question how people run their private lives, then please go elsewhere for that. I'm sure there are plenty of "great" forums & sites out there for bashing one another about subjects like that along with discussions of religion and politics.

While you're here though, please be supportive, helpful, patient, civil and understanding with each other, even though I know it's not always that easy. But please try.
Fair enough.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote