Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
sixridgeroad
Regular

Default Trailer for Alien: Covenant

I smell a dud.

I will also be the first in line to see it, wearing my full alien creature outfit. (Which I am actually wearing as I write this, because it's a lot more flattering than you'd think.)

here's the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/...?ref_=tt_ov_vi
sixridgeroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Trailer for Alien: Covenant

looks like just a "requel" version of the original. nicer planet to land on and a bigger crew but still just the same beats with some more CGI action
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
figment

Do I have to see Prometheus first before watching this one, for it to make sense?

(this is an actual question, I'm not being a smart-a$$)
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
sixridgeroad
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Do I have to see Prometheus first before watching this one, for it to make sense?

(this is an actual question, I'm not being a smart-a$$)
Maybe. Not sure you should though. Prom súper mediocre.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
nativeson

I actually *want* to see more of the engineer story line, but the trailer looks like an amped up splatter fest. Disappointing.
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
sixridgeroad
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
I actually *want* to see more of the engineer story line, but the trailer looks like an amped up splatter fest. Disappointing.
I didn't agree with the decision to make the aliens their lab project. Going back to the original two flicks, I was always intrigued by the idea of "where in the hell did these things come from? What kind of mind-blowingly hostile environment could evolve such nasty, nasty creatures?"

I think it is/was a missed opportunity to nip that in the bud and make them artificial. Puts the emphasis on the engineers, which doesn't feel right to me.

But then again the whole franchise has gone way, way south since Cameron.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
nativeson

Aliens as a bio weapon makes perfect sense to me. While intelligent, they're way too erratic to have designed their own interstellar technology. The engineers make sense, and dovetail nicely with the pilot from the first film. Cameron's sequel was a great actioner, but its not the original.
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
looks like just a "requel" version of the original. nicer planet to land on and a bigger crew but still just the same beats with some more CGI action
Agreed. Yet from a marketing viewpoint, this kind of “reboot” (aka, “copycat flick”) can find a new (i.e., “younger”) audience because of its new stars, trading lightly (ha!) on the reputation of the original classic.

Up next:
Alien Chainsaw Massacre!
Followed by:
Halloween Alien Chainsaw Massacre!
And the 3rd leg of the tripod:
Sharknado Alien Chainsaw Massacre!

On the other hand, the trailer for Life looks promising.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
dpaterso

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixridgeroad View Post
I will also be the first in line to see it, wearing my full alien creature outfit. (Which I am actually wearing as I write this, because it's a lot more flattering than you'd think.)
Applause and full marks for style. No local theater here so I'll have to wait for the DVD again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Yes. If only because Michael Fassbender is in both and there are things you ought to know.

Looking forward to this, in the same way I looked forward to Prometheus. Before I knew better, lol.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Captain Jack Sparrow

Despite all the issues with Prometheus, I still was interested to see the continued adventures of Dr Shaw and David.

This is because the engineers seemed more interesting than the aliens - they were tackling some pretty big subjects with the engineers like the origin of life and you just want to understand what they are all about. The alien is easy to understand, it's just a monster, but the engineers has that allure of mystery that is hard to beat.

This isn't to say Covenant will be a bad film, it could execute what it sets out to do very well, it's that what it's executing looks to be a standard monster/slasher film. I suspect we'll get some of the David and Dr Shaw through line tied into things, but I wonder if it's an afterthought. I doubt we'll get many answers partly because I suspect the writers don't know the answers themselves. I wish there was a higher intelligence behind it all, but I suspect it's just the writers sitting around going 'how on Earth do we explain all these things we threw in here because it seemed cool', it's easy to create that illusion of a grand design sometimes when there in reality isn't one.

Still, I do like Ridley's visual aesthetic, in terms of creating an atmospheric cold alien world he accomplishes that spectacularly. Prometheus looked and sounded fantastic. I mean you can always see Ridley's interest in architecture and other subjects shine through in his work. I just wish the story and characters were on par with the excellent visuals because then we'd have something amazing.

I'll still check it out of course, I just wish it was more ambitious (maybe it is and they are hiding it from us, in which case I'll take all this back down the line).
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote