Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,861
Default Ready or Not

not normally a horror guy, the buzz on Samara Weaving's turn in this variation on The Most Dangerous Game has been good and reviews have been kind, so i gave it a shot. for the most part it's bloody fun -- macabre comedic tone. but without spoiling too much, it felt like one of those movies that fails to fully exploit the promise of its premise.

that is, if you're going to have a family of rich a'holes hunting the new bride of their prodigal son around a giant creepy estate, commit fully to that hook. instead, about halfway through when Weaving's character should be turning the tables on her pursuers . . . it takes a hard left turn into something more like Rosemary's Baby with supernatural elements. as a consequence, the ending didn't feel as strong as i think it needed to be. not a total disaster but a missed opportunity
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 525
Default Re: Ready or Not

It didn't do tell well at the box office. I'll probably see it this week since it will be out of the theaters probably in several weeks.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
Hernan Giaggio
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 59
Default Re: Ready or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
it felt like one of those movies that fails to fully exploit the promise of its premise.
Yes! Was so disappointed by this. It was still pretty fun, but man it could've been a cult classic.
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:26 AM   #4
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 525
Default Re: Ready or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
not normally a horror guy, the buzz on Samara Weaving's turn in this variation on The Most Dangerous Game has been good and reviews have been kind, so i gave it a shot. for the most part it's bloody fun -- macabre comedic tone. but without spoiling too much, it felt like one of those movies that fails to fully exploit the promise of its premise.

that is, if you're going to have a family of rich a'holes hunting the new bride of their prodigal son around a giant creepy estate, commit fully to that hook. instead, about halfway through when Weaving's character should be turning the tables on her pursuers . . . it takes a hard left turn into something more like Rosemary's Baby with supernatural elements. as a consequence, the ending didn't feel as strong as i think it needed to be. not a total disaster but a missed opportunity

I liked the supernatural twist a lot more than you did. I felt like it gave it more of a plausible reason why they would be hunting her. Otherwise, it seemed strange that they would just hunt the bride for a game. I am sure the writers wrestled with this. I think the movie works, mostly for the humor. I noticed that the audience was chuckling throughout the movie. What did you think about what the movie had to say about the super rich?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:34 AM   #5
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,861
Default Re: Ready or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I liked the supernatural twist a lot more than you did. I felt like it gave it more of a plausible reason why they would be hunting her. Otherwise, it seemed strange that they would just hunt the bride for a game. I am sure the writers wrestled with this. I think the movie works, mostly for the humor. I noticed that the audience was chuckling throughout the movie. What did you think about what the movie had to say about the super rich?
except then we learn that they're not even hunting her to kill her, just to . . . capture her for a sacrificial ceremony before sunrise. in which case, why not just sacrifice her from the start (we see pretty quickly how willing the family is to abandon the rules and traditions). i had a lot of questions about the whole curse thing

the class stuff was pretty toothless. kept waiting for Samara's character to take matters more into her own hands and start hunting the other family members back. that i would have cheered for. i
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #6
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 525
Default Re: Ready or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
except then we learn that they're not even hunting her to kill her, just to . . . capture her for a sacrificial ceremony before sunrise. in which case, why not just sacrifice her from the start (we see pretty quickly how willing the family is to abandon the rules and traditions). i had a lot of questions about the whole curse thing

the class stuff was pretty toothless. kept waiting for Samara's character to take matters more into her own hands and start hunting the other family members back. that i would have cheered for. i

I think the ceremony was just tacked on the end to have an extended tension scene. Supposedly, they made a deal that they had to play this game, but as they were failing, they started to scrimp on the traditions.



I would have liked to see more of the class stuff, but it was merely alluded to here and there. The director made it sound like he was really going to dive into it, but I only heard a few quips.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker