No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wrap for Fountain files ... but what's with "Estella?"

Originally posted by Centos View Post
    I know. It's kind of sad. But if I was still running Windows I would probably still be using it.
    I still do run Windows and I still use MMS2000 when I do.

A formatter is a formatter and Movie Magic is dependable.

I once gave Final Draft (a demo version) a try. Fortunately I was just messing around, but it barfed on me, completely, and I lost twenty pages. I couldn't recover the backups either. So it got deleted right away

I tried Fade In a few years ago. I didn't have any problems with it -- I just didn't see the point of learning a new program. I'm not really interested in all the bells and whistles.

I do use the formatter at "youmescript.com", just so I can work on a script whether I'm using a Chromebook, Linux of Windows, since it's online. I even bought the pro version of it. (It's pretty cheap.)

But it does have its limitations and I usually do the final formatting in MMS2000.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Hey, no argument wanted or intended. I can see as how these utilities are handy when you're not on a solid Windows platform and need another option. So yay for this thread. But Movie Magic Screenwriter is great and Trelby is entirely functional, regardless of when they last got updated. Not everyone wants to be a test pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
        Hey, no argument wanted or intended. I can see as how these utilities are handy when you're not on a solid Windows platform and need another option. So yay for this thread. But Movie Magic Screenwriter is great and Trelby is entirely functional, regardless of when they last got updated. Not everyone wants to be a test pilot.
        A "solid" Windows platform? From what mythical world do you come from?

Fade In Pro is very good and is an established competitor to Final Draft now. I'm guessing it's probably displaced Movie Magic Screenwriter as the new "number 2." (At least in the Windows world. There are some pretty nice applications only available for Mac users, like Highland.) If I still used Windows I might (to correct an earlier post) use MMS, but it's getting almost to the point that any software I use absolutely needs to import/export Fountain files. (I still like the way MMS/ScriptThing looks and works, however.) The only reason I would ever use Final Draft is if someone required it for collaboration. KIT Scenarist is getting pretty slick, and it's actively developed (they just released the latest release candidate with a few more new features). Agree about Trelby, completely functional even though development basically stopped in 2012.

As for Wrap, Screenplain and 'Afterwriting, I see them as more than just utilities. Fountain format has become a pretty big deal and you can write and perfectly format screenplays using only your favorite text editor and one of these applications. Although, with Trelby, KIT Scenarist and (for a relatively small price if your serious about screenplays) Fade In Pro, even Linux users have great, full-featured, screenplay applications to work with. (And then there's a slew of online screenplay applications.) Quite a bit different than it was a few years ago.
        STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

A "solid" Windows platform? From what mythical world do you come from?
          Heh. A mythical world where, when you download and install a program and click on the icon, it runs! Without having to figure a heap of stuff out.

That's not to say everything else you're saying isn't useful.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
            Heh. A mythical world where, when you download and install a program and click on the icon, it runs! Without having to figure a heap of stuff out.
            I'm guessing you haven't run Linux in a while. In Linux Mint, if I want to run Fade In Pro, KIT Scenarist or Trelby I just go the sites, download the .deb install files and click on them.

fadein-linux-amd64-demo.deb (Debian)

KIT Scenarist ...

Download the latest version (deb-package, 64 bit)

I've uploaded Trelby to my own site to make it easier to find ...

https://screenplayshorts.000webhosta...lby2.3-all.deb

Actually, for most applications, Linux (with its repository system) makes it easier to install standard applications than does Windows, because it's all in one place. These utilities that I'm talking about are not fun in Windows (at all). Basically, for example, there's only one version of Popplar Utilities that renders text correctly from PDF (I know, because I had to work hard to find it when I wanted to replicate it my setup on my Windows partition). Popplar Utilities comes installed by default on Linux Mint.

Modern Linux is easier to install and maintain than Windows. It's just different and there is a month (or so) learning curve for someone who only works with Windows.
            STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

I'm happy to report that Wrap has already been fixed (as of version 0.2.3). Why ESTELLA triggered the issue (as well as EXTELLA and INTIMA) was because they were all shots, "EST" was the beginning of ESTABLISHING. The author's first (temporary) "fix" was using the ! and @ as mentioned above.

Results now correct. The following was created with Wrap.

Code:
              INT. LIVING ROOM — DAY

ESTELLA ROBERTS, late 20s, yells up the stairs.

ESTELLA
                        Bus is almost here.

EXTELLA, 10, her daughter, runs down the stairs.

EXTELLA
                        Sorry, mom.

INTIMA, 50s, rushes through the door without knocking.

INTIMA
                        Bus is already gone. I'll drive her.
              This has been a while ago, but (interestingly) the creator of Wrap just recently added a little more about the issue and its fix. It turns out it wasn't his oversight, it was was actually in Fountain's specs. (I guess the name Estella doesn't come up very often).

From the Wrap GitHub page ...
              https://github.com/Wraparound/wrap/issues/32

I kept wondering how I could have fallen in such an obvious pitfall (something the other people on the Done Deal Pro forum rightfully noted).

Unfortunately this wasn't really a bug in Wrap but rather one in the Fountain spec. The Fountain spec specifies that any line starting with EST/EXT/..., upper- or lowercase, should be interpreted as a slug line.

However, your issue is a very good reason to slightly deviate from this to require a space (and optionally a point) after those abbreviations.

Comment

Working...
              X