So here's the situation, or rather dilemma...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So here's the situation, or rather dilemma...

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
    I looked Jeff Maysh up in IMDbPro. He has like four screenplays in development from the 2015-2016 period. Then he optioned two articles in 2018. It's like he figured it out -- get them out as articles first. I'm reading into this, but anyone with IMDbPro can look him up. He's repped by Intellectual Property Group, which has a lot of clients who write novels/books on their client list - Liane Moriarty, Sue Grafton, Patrick Rothfuss, etc. Interesting!
    Probably a clever way to go if you can get the rights. Or, I guess, write the article yourself and get it published. My ex used to rep a guy who did just that. Sold a lot of articles for a lot of money. An article is easier to write than a script. AND... then Hollywood will believe you that it's REAL. Especially if the article has gone viral.

Hmmm... maybe we're all idiots for writing screenplays.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
      I looked Jeff Maysh up in IMDbPro. He has like four screenplays in development from the 2015-2016 period. Then he optioned two articles in 2018. It's like he figured it out -- get them out as articles first. I'm reading into this, but anyone with IMDbPro can look him up. He's repped by Intellectual Property Group, which has a lot of clients who write novels/books on their client list - Liane Moriarty, Sue Grafton, Patrick Rothfuss, etc. Interesting!
      I'm pretty sure Jeff is not writing the scripts -- at least not currently. He's a journalist and author, per his own site. IMDB lists authors and journalist as a "Writer" but they don't always properly clarify it's just the article or a book they wrote which all is being based on.

His BIO on his own site notes: "Eleven of his stories are currently ‘optioned’ for film, including “The Wedding Sting” at Paramount. Jeff’s Amazon best-selling eBook “The Spy With No Name,” is also a major motion picture in development at Fox Searchlight. In 2018, a ‘bidding war’ for the film rights to his article about a corrupted McDonald’s competition resulted in “one of the most lucrative rights deals for a single article."

He might be adapting something, but we've never seen that noted for any of the listings we've posted. Never seen any of the press releases say, he was writing the script/adapting his own material. (And we do see that noted in other situations.)
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Will. Maybe he's listed as the sole writer on some older projects because they don't have the screenplay writer attached right now?

I'll be following his work in any case to see what happens with it!

Comment

So is it a good idea before one puts work into anything, even if its with your own manager to draft out a contract, about who owns what and who gets paid what?

Even a simple downloaded agreement off the net.

Comment

Originally posted by lumous View Post
            So is it a good idea before one puts work into anything, even if its with your own manager to draft out a contract, about who owns what and who gets paid what?

Even a simple downloaded agreement off the net.
            If I understand your question correctly: No, you don't have to worry about money nor chain of title at that point (it's your script, you own it right now). Unless your manager came to you with the idea (book/article etc), then they may want to jump on as producer. But, any smart manager will make it known to REAL producers that s/he'll jump off as producer if it's gonna kill the deal.

As for option rights, ima get those myself every time. Your lawyer draws up a simple shopping agreement (one page). Done.
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
              Probably a clever way to go if you can get the rights. Or, I guess, write the article yourself and get it published. My ex used to rep a guy who did just that. Sold a lot of articles for a lot of money. An article is easier to write than a script. AND... then Hollywood will believe you that it's REAL. Especially if the article has gone viral.

Hmmm... maybe we're all idiots for writing screenplays.
              Someone told me to make a trailer for my script. I guess you could send it off with your query and if it gets lots of view on youtube my generate some heat.

Comment

Working...
              X