No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacrifice as a need???

Hey there

Often people talk about want vs need, and how the hero will often sacrifice their want in order to gain their need.

But I'm curious, can gaining the ability to make sacrifices be the need?

I'm developing an idea where a girl pushes away all of her boyfriends because she's never willing to sacrifice her job, home, social life, etc...in order to make those relationships work. Then she meets the ideal guy and all seems good.
    However, she gradually comes to understand that making sacrifices is part of any relationship, and ultimately decides to sacrifice her own happiness for his by breaking up with him so that he can pursue his dream. In the end, she'd rather be alone/sad and see him happy rather than get what she wants but knowing he can't chase his dream while in a relationship with her. I hope that makes sense!

So, can learning to sacrifice be a character need? Are there any examples of it being done before?

Thank you
    Last edited by Syringe; 08-17-2016, 05:55 AM.

Re: Sacrifice as a need???

Reminds me of CASABLANCA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgrXyJ-Huo

He sticks his neck out for nobody and then he does.
    Story Structure 1
    Story Structure 2
    Story Structure 3

Comment

fwiw, I think want is external and need is internal. Want moves the plot forward; it's tied with the character goal. Need, on the other hand, is resolved through the secondary plot line(s) and resolved by the end of the story.

For example, in Working Girl, Melanie Griffith's character "Tess" wants more out of life, she wants recognition. What she needs is self-confidence to make it happen.

Now some may argue that Tess' little burst against her boss Lutz and calling him a "pimp dick or something like that" (near the beginning of the film) took self-confidence; but, in fact, I feel like it's an outburst of Tess' frustration not confidence. Tess then finds another job.

At her new job, Tess' boss Katherine looks promising to build up her confidence and accept her ideas. Tess begins to mold herself into Katherine's ideal. Again Tess has no self-confidence.

The turning point is when Tess realizes Katherine is using her to get ahead. Then Tess takes a chance and pushes her own need to be self-confident. She makes plans and she executes those plans and pulls others into her plan. Her confidence is growing.

Then she almost loses it when Katherine "outs" her at a board meeting. But, Tess' final assertion of confidence comes at the elevator when she opens up and tells Jack she loves him and tells the CEO (Trask) how she came up with the idea of a radio broadcast network merger and that she has the smarts to make it happen.

anyway, I hope this helps
      Last edited by asjah8; 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM.
      life happens
      despite a few cracked pots-
      and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by Syringe View Post
        Hey there

Often people talk about want vs need, and how the hero will often sacrifice their want in order to gain their need.

I'm developing an idea where a girl pushes away all of her boyfriends because she's never willing to sacrifice her job, home, social life, etc...in order to make those relationships work. Then she meets the ideal guy and all seems good.
        However, she gradually comes to understand that making sacrifices is part of any relationship, and ultimately decides to sacrifice her own happiness for his by breaking up with him so that he can pursue his dream. In the end, she'd rather be alone/sad and see him happy rather than get what she wants but knowing he can't chase his dream while in a relationship with her. I hope that makes sense!

So, can learning to sacrifice be a character need? Are there any examples of it being done before?

Thank you
        Apples and oranges. You're on the right track, but (you're) not sure what your story is about yet, IMO. First, you say she's unable to sacrifice her *job* as a major flaw, then you say she rectifies this (flaw) by sacrificing her *realtionship.* And this, after first saying *she had difficulties with relationships* because of her flaw. You've got two ideas battling each other, independent of the dramatic question you're asking. That is the problem.

Comment

Hey there

Thank you
          What you're describing, the sacrifice still isn't really the need. The need is to prove himself capable of the relationship his girlfriend wants. Sacrifice is still the an external expression of him achieving that goal.

Comment

Thank you so much to all of you, it's exactly the kind of helpful feedback I was hoping to get. I appreciate it.

I'm going to continue working on it until I've got it right.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
              What you're describing, the sacrifice still isn't really the need. The need is to prove himself capable of the relationship his girlfriend wants. Sacrifice is still the an external expression of him achieving that goal.
              Rewind. A character *need* is usually the lesson a *protagonist* learns or change they make at the revelation in act three. The protagonist. *He* is not the protagonist.

Comment

I'm still working and attempting to fix the problems that some of you were able to identify in my idea.

However, I forgot to clarify something with you. The need is the internal "journey" or "quest", yes. So learning the importance and necessity of sacrifice ( through the B Story or subplot) would qualify as a character's need right? (I don't mean in relation to my specific story, just as a general idea).

E.g. Billy desperately WANTS to buy that super rare comic book from that store two towns over.

He decides to break into his sister's piggy bank, steal the money she has in there, and make his way to the store via bus.

But he NEEDS to learn that in life you have to make sacrifices, rather than just keep taking whatever you want in order to be happy.

So, during his journey to the store (the A story), he meets an old man who teaches him the value of sacrifice and helping others (the B Story).

Now, Billy realises what he must do. He'll return home and confess to his sister that he stole her money. He'll give her the money back and pay her double whenever he gets his allowance, which means he's sacrificing his original WANT and his own money. However, he'll be a more considerate and less selfish person because of it which is what he truly NEEDED all along.

Sorry for that bad example but it just kind of came to me. Is that how learning to sacrifice qualifies as a need? Or am I still not understanding correctly?

Comment

However, she gradually comes to understand that making sacrifices is part of any relationship, and ultimately decides to sacrifice her own happiness for his by breaking up with him so that he can pursue his dream. In the end, she'd rather be alone/sad and see him happy rather than get what she wants but knowing he can't chase his dream while in a relationship with her.
                  What does she gain from this character growth? Sounds like nothing.

Protagonists are usually rewarded for character growth, especially if it's a rom-com situation. They are not usually left "alone/sad in order for someone else to be happy."

Unless it's Titanic or something -- even then, Leo "gained" Rose herself, her love and acceptance.

Think Richard Gere in an Officer and a Gentleman. He WANTS to be an officer. He NEEDS to learn how to be a gentleman as in a capable/responsible man towards women. He eventually gets to be an officer -- but only after he's become a larger, better person -- has experienced character growth -- by being true to Debra Winger instead of using her and tossing her aside like his friend did to his "girlfriend".

Or in The Wedding Planner -- JLo is a control freak wedding planner who herself doesn't have a relationship. She wants the status quo -- just working and not being with anyone, she's more in control that way. Then she meets Matthew McConaughey, and falls for him. We know she Needs him. But the irony is he is set to be married and she's the wedding planner. What does she do -- pursue him or plan his wedding? Since planning the wedding is more in her comfort zone, she chooses that. Until she can't. She has to break out of former self and take the risk and dare to want him. Her character growth pays off. She's happy at the end with him.
                  Last edited by figment; 08-18-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

In my opinion, a sacrifice is an action the protagonist takes in order to fulfill his/her need.

In general (and rules are there to be broken), a protagonist, as you say, WANTS something, so he/she takes an ACTION to achieve that, only to realize that that doesn't satisfy him/her, finding out his/her real NEED, and then he/she takes another ACTION, in this case a sacrifice.

In your story your protagonist wants to be "successful" in life, meaning great social life, work, getting all she wants, etc. Consequences are she fails in all her relationships. Later when she meets this guy, she realizes there are things that are more important in life and things she might not be able to achieve, so then she chooses to sacrifice for the greater good.
                    Last edited by 14001; 08-18-2016, 02:33 PM.
                    Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Thank you for the help everyone, you've clarified a lot for me. I appreciate your time.

Comment

Hey there

Thank you
                        Of course. Beauty and the Beast. The Beast only realizes, finally, that he truly loves Beauty when he's able to sacrifice his only happiness -- in fact, his only chance at being able to resume his human form, for Beauty's sake -- by letting her go.

Of course, since it's a love story, it doesn't end that way and ultimately she returns and he dies and is reborn and there's a happy ending -- but the willingness to sacrifice for the one (or the thing) you love is a classic story idea.

"want vs. need" can be confusing idea. It can be easier to think of it in terms of needs in opposition.

We need to take care of our family. We need to do the right thing. But what if these needs come into opposition? What if taking care of your family means that you can't do the right thing? Then you've got The Godfather.

You need to hold on to the safe, familiar things of childhood - but you also need to accept the dangers and responsibilities of adult life. That's every right-of-passage story ever told.

To be in love with someone means that you can be hurt by someone -- you're telling the story about someone who wants to be loved but doesn't want to open herself up to being hurt -- she wants to receive someone's love but she doesn't want to give anything.

But, of course, it never works that way. If you watch a movie like Beauty and the Beast, the ending -- when he lets Beauty go, is simply the resolution of long process in which someone who has been completely closed to the idea of love becomes open to it.

Ultimately, that has to be your story, because someone who is unwilling to change anything for anyone else is someone who isn't open to anyone else. It's the process of her opening -- or being opened by that other person that's going to be what the heart of your movie is going to be about -- turning her from someone who would never dream of making a sacrifice for anyone into someone who is going to make this most painful of sacrifices for someone that she really cares about.

NMS

Comment

I'm still working and attempting to fix the problems that some of you were able to identify in my idea.

However, I forgot to clarify something with you. The need is the internal "journey" or "quest", yes. So learning the importance and necessity of sacrifice ( through the B Story or subplot) would qualify as a character's need right? (I don't mean in relation to my specific story, just as a general idea).

E.g. Billy desperately WANTS to buy that super rare comic book from that store two towns over.

He decides to break into his sister's piggy bank, steal the money she has in there, and make his way to the store via bus.

But he NEEDS to learn that in life you have to make sacrifices, rather than just keep taking whatever you want in order to be happy.

So, during his journey to the store (the A story), he meets an old man who teaches him the value of sacrifice and helping others (the B Story).

Now, Billy realises what he must do. He'll return home and confess to his sister that he stole her money. He'll give her the money back and pay her double whenever he gets his allowance, which means he's sacrificing his original WANT and his own money. However, he'll be a more considerate and less selfish person because of it which is what he truly NEEDED all along.

Sorry for that bad example but it just kind of came to me. Is that how learning to sacrifice qualifies as a need? Or am I still not understanding correctly?
                          In your *new* example, the want would be buying the comic book, and the need would be learning sacrifice, yes. And BTW, *theme* and need can be the same thing, but don't have to be. Mazin did a great presentation on using theme to outline at AFF last year, where they were essentially the same thing or closely related (flaw and theme).

And...

*B story* is a different thread altogether, that echoes theme and character flaw/need, but but in terms of storytelling, is more useful regarding pacing, layering; "peaks and valleys" as it were. Try not to confuse your character's journey with the B story. While it can echo what's going on, it's NOT the main event.

Comment

@ nmstevens - thank you for that breakdown, it's very helpful. I never thought of Beauty and the Beast until you mentioned it.

@ nativeson - and thank you also, your input in this and my other thread is greatly appreciated. I was taught that the B Story is essentially the "heart" of the narrative and therefore essentially the "real story" which is why I may be placing too much emphasis on it. But your peaks and valleys explanation is far more useful.

Comment

Wreck-It Ralph has one of the best demonstrations of want vs. need I've ever seen. Ralph wants a medal for heroism, but he needs to discover what being a hero really means. (It also has a great All Is Lost beat - Ralph sacrifices his need to attain his want... and realizes it's now worthless to him).
                              Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Working...
                              X